CONTEST EPIC Contest: The 2021 Grandaddy of Em All with Callaway Golf

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have been on this forum for any period of time, you have seen mention of the Grandaddy. The greatest amateur event ever created. The 2021 edition is coming and we have the captains and 7 participants, but need a full team of 11 THPers. This is contest #3 of the new year and you could join them.

Screen Shot 2021-05-27 at 5.43.01 AM.png

It is an all expenses paid trip of a lifetime.

What's Included
Airfare
Hotels
Club Fitting at ECPC
Full bag of clubs
Tour Callaway HQ
Meet R&D
Play Golf against Callaway
Play at one of the finest courses you will ever step foot on
And so much more its ridiculous
And you can be part of Team THP

The Contest
Fresh off the 2021 PGA Championship victory, Phil Mickelson had a new Callaway Epic Speed in the bag. Callaway has numerous models and each one is explained here in a chart showing the differences. Your goal should you choose to except it is to select which driver you would put in your bag if the Grandaddy started today. You must select one of the three offerings and give us a reason why that one stands out.

Qualifying
You must be a 2021 Albatross Club Member to enter. The club is open to anybody and helps benefit a wonderful charity. Details here.

How to Enter
We want to know which driver you would select from the Epic Family and why. Entering is pretty easy.

That is it. Then sit back and see if you get your ticket punched to the Grandaddy of em All!

Good luck everybody. This contest will remain open until early next week and then we will close the thread and announce the latest participant.

Wow, great morning. Good luck everyone!

Good luck THPers!

Wow, Thursday off to a hot start! Good luck everyone.

For me and my swing, the way it's been going lately, I think the Max LS would be the driver for me. Moderate forgiveness with lower spin and an adjustable weight sounds win win win.

Good luck all!

My choice would be the Epic Speed driver. High forgiveness and low to mid spin is right up my alley. That, and I will likely hit bombs and hellacious seeds with it like Phil does. Thanks THP!

Thanks for the contest.

I would choose the Epic Max. It is time for me to swallow my pride with speed and distance and focus on keeping the ball in the fairway! The weight track on this driver provides up to 20 yards of shape shot correction and a major help in the forgiveness department. It also has the draw bias which I wouldn’t mind playing moving forward.

I have yet to hit the Max LS, but I have hit the Max and the Speed. The Max launched too high for me and was not as accurate as the Speed. I would choose the Speed for it's mid ball flight and great forgiveness. Jailbreak Speed Frame was shocking as even less than good swings produced excellent results in both distance and dispersion. The slight draw bias wasn't an issue for me even though my miss is usually left. I hit nice baby draws with strong trajectory and great forgiveness. I would still love to try the Max LS but the Speed is pretty special.

Epic Max

Forgiveness, easy launch and spin for the hellascious bomb season. I need all three in my driver. The sliding weight is a favorite performance element, as I tend to miss toe side and sliding the weight (or two) behind my typical strike tends to yield more ball speed and a bit less right to left movement. Frees me up to swing more aggressively.

Artificial intelligence helping to activate thumbs everywhere.

Epic Max LS. As a fader of the ball, keeping spin to a dull roar is always on the agenda. I also like the movable weight, so I can really dial it in for my strike location and face rotation.

Epic Max for me. The draw bias and the ability to hit straighter drives is what wht I am looking for. I did compare the Epic Speed and the Max a few weeks ago and while the Speed gave me a slight more distance (very slight) the Max had better dispersion and the ball flight was more to my liking with the Max.

For me looks is the start of selecting a club, if I’m not comfortable looking down at the club I’m not going to make a good swing for whatever reason. Based on that, the Speed is where I might go.
But based on what the website says, the MaxLS would probably fit me better due to lower spin and launch. The driver selection tool says either are my best option.
I would go with the Speed, that’s my final answer.

I would choose the Epic Max LS. As a matter of fact I already have it in the bag and it has been nothing short of amazing.

20210305_175601.jpg

It is definitely a Max forgiveness design which they combined with lower spin and a neutral setup. This thing is a rocket launcher when hit in the center of the face.

20210506_104610.jpg

And when I am not swinging at my best the Max design keeps the ball in play and most importantly mitigates the pull hook that haunts me at times. I love Callaway and the clubs they produce but I can assure you that this is not just pillow talk, this driver immediately made me a better golfer.

I would choose the Epic Max. A big slice has always been my issues with the driver and the adjustable weight and max forgiveness would go a long way to pulling the ball back towards the center of the fairway.

Thank you THP and Callaway for the opportunity!

Selecting one of the 3 drivers I would go for the Epic Mac. The reason for me choosing that? Aside from it having MAX in the name, it's supposed to be their most forgiving Epic driver. That's what I need. Forgiveness. My swing is slow so I need spin for distance as well and it's a moderate spin club. Plus it's draw capable with its moveable weight... and that MIGHT help me tame my slice. Plus, it's Callaway, it's NEW, and should match pretty well with my irons. And finally, it was one of the 3 clubs that Callaway's driver selector tool recommended. Epic Max, Big Bertha 21, and Mavrik Max. Since the last 2 are not options, Epic Max is the choice for me and my crummy game.:D And it'll replace the TM RBZ driver in my bag. For me, it's a WIN-WIN:D

For sure going with the epic speed. I’m all about gaining more club head speed. Always want to be as close to the hole as I can be to get into my strengths which are wedges. A little more speed could help with that

Epic Max in a 9* to help with the higher launch characteristic. The draw bias and highest forgiveness out of the 3 would be very important to me as I tend to lose shots to the right pretty good sometimes. The added distance would be a plus, but control is my bigger issue and this one would be the best to help correct it.

I would choose the Epic Speed - because the Callaway Driver Selector Tool said so. I was gravitating towards the LS model for some amount of adustibility - but why mess with something if it's not needed (and based on the tool, it's not).

And, as always, THP - thank you for events like this and the many others, and OEM/Sponsors - in this case Callaway, thank you as well.

My pick would be the Epic Max given the current state of my driver ability. Max forgiveness and draw bias would certainly help boost my confidence!

Good luck everyone!

Charts super helpful. Like the mid launch so would consider the Speed. Turning 55 this summer and club speed is noticeably slowing. Still play from 6500y tees.

The Callaway selector tool recommended the Epic LS and I would agree. Neutral ball flight and some extra forgiveness.

Screenshot_20210527-081102_Chrome.jpg

I have never hit any of the new Callaway drivers. My initial thought was Epic Max would be best for me. I went over to the Callaway website and inserted my pathetic driver stats and lo and behold the Epic Max was picked for me. The adjustable weight sounds like it would be a big help in taming wayward drives!

Well leaning on the Callaway online fitting tool, and putting myself as average for accuracy, they recommend the Epic Speed so that's my choice. Reading up on it, I definitely like the sounds of it. However, I do wonder how much my newfound average accuracy with the driver has to do with the B21? Would love to find out :D

Epic Speed.

Amazing shape, great sound & feel, and really nice performance. The shape at address is the ultimate kicker for me since I really enjoy it.

Back