Epic Flashback or Apex Total Recall?

J4U

IronMan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Have you ever played a course once, maybe twice...and came back weeks, months later and knew what was coming up hole to hole?

Tera is always amazed at how I can remember courses, holes, and what is coming next. Or better yet, what is the best approach to the hole in front of you or what may be coming after? Yet, I can't remember a special date or something we discussed last week. She smiles, but yet doesn't understand how it happens.

I've played in special events at outstanding courses. Some I've only played once and others a couple times. I could tell you hole by hole how I progressed and the fun that was had. Some in more detail than others, but to do that on daily tasks...I couldn't.

How about you?

Last edited:
I have to play a course a few times before I remember it well. If I had a blow up hole or hit a good shot that turned out bad because I did not know the hole then I will remember it on the next round.

I thought this was maybe the names of the new Callaway products.....

I can usually remember the details the second time play, the third for sure. I gaze around a lot and like to take in the layout and scenery of a course when I play it the first time, it's why I usually don't play it well the 1st time.

Reactions: J4U
I am terrible at remembering layouts. I can recall the really nice holes. I talk to some of my old high school teammates and they can still talk about courses that they haven't played in 20 years.

that's a super power i definitely don't have.

like, i'll be talking to someone about a particular course, maybe even a course i've played dozens of times, and they'll say, "oh man, #14 is so hard. that approach needs to be precise or you're in trouble." and i'm like, "oh totally" when in reality i'm having to walk myself through the back 9 to get to #14 and try to visualize it.

maybe a coincidence, maybe not, but i'm also terrible with directions. most of the people i know who can have this total recall on golf courses are also excellent with directions.

I find that courses which hold a more sentimental nature I tend to remember holes and shots. I will admit i am so caught up in the experience that sometimes recalling certain holes is a challenge. I think golf and anything that you love in life, will hyper focus you and you will recall more than the day to day stuff.

I'd have to typically play one several times, and they'd have to be somewhat unique or have unique features for me to remember a specific hole. Typically, if I know I'm going to play a new course, I'll spend some time beforehand looking at the layout, so it's more familiar.

Golf Ghost;n8892309 said:

Ha I actually thought this about Callaway products being recalled!!

Anyways, yes there are certain rounds that I could explain every shot in detail. My wife will ask me to get Milk from the store and by the time I get there, I’ll forget what she needed. I have no idea why or how this happens.

badolds;n8892305 said:
I have to play a course a few times before I remember it well. If I had a blow up hole or hit a good shot that turned out bad because I did not know the hole then I will remember it on the next round.

Yep this exactly. I never remember a course the first time, but play it a few times and I can recall the whole thing. I can remember every hole on courses I have played often.

Misleading thread title, made me think epic flash and Apex irons were being recalled

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

greekelite;n8892516 said:
Misleading thread title, made me think epic flash and Apex irons were being recalled

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

i think it's a pretty clever title

After playing only one course the last few weeks, yes, I can accurately describe each and every hole in order and what has been my best shot on each one. LOL!

zbeekner4;n8892429 said:
My wife will ask me to get Milk from the store and by the time I get there, I�ll forget what she needed. I have no idea why or how this happens.

All the time man, and when I'm doing home improvements, I get to the store and look around as if I shouldn't be here. Even though I had the idea to go there to get something...

Put me on a golf course and I can tell you what you need to know without hesitation.

I think I could for a while. I don't know about a year later or longer, but for sure for a few months. For instance, I played the course here at Tinker AFB twice in 2017 between when I arrived here and when I started work (roughly 1 month). I didn't play it from ~Sep 2017 until May 2019 and I was able to walk my kid and his friend through the round knowing what was coming up the whole way. That was after two rounds. Not sure about after just one.

Milk at the store is a whole 'nother ballgame. I'll forget it before I even get to the store. Heck, I've been driving down the road with the wife before and she'll ask me to stop somewhere. I'll forget it not even a few minutes later and drive right past. Instead of speaking up and making me turn around and go, she'll wait until we're all the way home and give me some BS line like... well, I guess you didn't wanna stop where I wanted to stop, huh...

Ugh... women.

Golf Ghost;n8892309 said:

Lol! Me too.

On the subject at hand, I can tell you every hole at Firestone north even though I’ve only played it twice, just because of how awesome it was and what a great experience I had.

Ive played Shale Creek 2x as well in roughly the same time frame and it’s a great course, one of my favorites. I’ll remember every hole as I get to it but after the first two I couldn’t tell you which comes next. I can remember the THp’ers I was paired with for sure for both of those rounds, but hole by hole I couldn’t tell you.

Back