Epic SZ FW weight swap experiment. Interesting results but would club still conform?

Daddio

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The used ESZ 3+ I recently bought is very similar to the BBA815 3W it replaced except it feels 'lighter' during the swing and at impact whenever I'd just nut one. Yesterday I did a little experiment to see if I could regain some of that lost clubhead feel and sense at impact of just hammering/compressing the ball by swapping the 22g weight in the ESZ with the 30g weight from my BBA815. Before hand I asked how much counter weight to add to the grip in the 'shafts/fittings' forum and learned that 20g was appropriate. (I also learned my MCC+4 grip is about 5g heavier than stock so I really just needed 15g more to counterbalance).

I tested my ESZ at 13.5* with heavy weight forward (my preffered) in 3 configurations; stock 22g weight installed, 30g weight with no counterbalance, and 30g weight with 15g counterbalance (3 nickels on butt of grip). I scored 21 shots in each after eliminating any gross mishits.

Some of this experiment went as expected (like head 'feeling' very heavy with 30g weight and no counterbalance, and that sense of really mashing the ball with heavier head) but some results surprised me too. I assumed my club speed would be slower with the heavier weight when in fact I saw significantly faster head speeds with 30g weight whether counter balanced or not. All in all I picked up head speed, ball speed, and carry yardage when weighted heavier. I lost significant control of direction and consistency of trajectory and curvature with heavier head and no counterbalance, but regained control of my direction, trajectory, and curvature when I counterbalanced the heavier head.

RESULTS
Stock 22g weight: CHS 87.9 / Ball 130.4 / CY 205.1 / FW 15/21 (71%) / trouble misses 0 / hooks 2, slices 0 / gross mishits 1
30g weight no CB: CHS 90.1 / Ball 132.9 / CY 211.0 / FW 12/21 (57%) / trouble misses 2 / hooks 2, slices 1 / gross mishits 3
30g weight 15g CB: CHS 91.1 / Ball 133.6 / CY 213.2 / FW 16/21 (76%) / trouble misses 0 / hooks 1, slices 0 / gross mishits 1

I like the results but would the club still be legal and conforming with the substitute weight?

Back