Equipment Pondering - W/ OEM Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The pondering for me then is whether I go M2 and M4 or M2 and M3, thoughts?

I would say M2 and M4 without hearing Kevin's response to my last question. Right now I have the M3 and I am pondering going M1, M3, & M5. But my thought is do I really need the M1. I dunno, lots to think about.

I would say M2 and M4 without hearing Kevin's response to my last question. Right now I have the M3 and I am pondering going M1, M3, & M5. But my thought is do I really need the M1. I dunno, lots to think about.

I hear you and I think I will go M2, M4, but I would go M1, M3 if the M1 was an option for lefties.

I am wondering how much value the M1 would have with me. I presently carry a 14.5* hybrid and I dont find myself reaching for it as much as I do the Mashie. Now of course that could be the newness of the Mashie but for second shots on long par 5's I can be 250+ yards out, neither clubs is going to get me to the green so I try to play to a point so I dont have a 20-60yd shot ( i hate those)

only one way to find out....hit hit hit. that's why I ordered the one Mashie I know I'm going to use and then I'll build around that one if needed

only one way to find out....hit hit hit. that's why I ordered the one Mashie I know I'm going to use and then I'll build around that one if needed

Good point. I know I want the M4 so I can start with that and then see where we go from there. You are very wise Hanks, must be the visor.

Yes! Fear the Visor!

Just like Mars Blackmon used to say...'Is it the Visor? Is it the Visor?'
Good point. I know I want the M4 so I can start with that and then see where we go from there. You are very wise Hanks, must be the visor.

Based on what you were saying on the Mashie thread, you dont think the M2 & M3 are too close in loft to put together in the bag?

Well, it seems most sets are 3* apart at the top. The Mashies are 2.5* apart so its pretty close. I figure Id want my degrees closer then further apart. When it gets down to .5 degrees and our skill levels it probably doesnt really matter. But for me I went with the M2 18* and the M3 20.5* and then I'll go to the 5i which in my set is 24*. Actually the Burner 2.0 3 and 4 iron are only 2* apart, which is odd. I figure the M4 is too close to my 5i to carry it.

I thought you said only putters don't count?

Except the Mashie, which Ive already hit and gamed for two rounds. Other then that, yes only putters dont count.

Well, it seems most sets are 3* apart at the top. The Mashies are 2.5* apart so its pretty close. I figure Id want my degrees closer then further apart. When it gets down to .5 degrees and our skill levels it probably doesnt really matter. But for me I went with the M2 18* and the M3 20.5* and then I'll go to the 5i which in my set is 24*. Actually the Burner 2.0 3 and 4 iron are only 2* apart, which is odd. I figure the M4 is too close to my 5i to carry it.

Except the Mashie, which Ive already hit and gamed for two rounds. Other then that, yes only putters dont count.

Help me understnd why you feel this way. Thinking for myself here, if I go M3 and M5 I have a 5 degree spread but then I can remove my 23* hybrid if I choose and a 5i and 6i. I could always choke down on the M3 if needed and add another wedge

Which iron are going to start with in your Burners? 4 or 5? Heres the Burner 2.0 lofts:

3i - 19*, 4i - 21*, 5i - 24*

So a good 3i replacement is the M2 18* and then I figure the M3 at 20.5* is closest to the Burner 4i.

Help me understnd why you feel this way. Thinking for myself here, if I go M3 and M5 I have a 5 degree spread but then I can remove my 23* hybrid if I choose and a 5i and 6i. I could always choke down on the M3 if needed and add another wedge

If I can get my club degrees as close as possible I figure I should always have a club for the shot. At least thats my thinking. Results may vary lol. Right now the biggest gap should be between my 13* 3W and the 18* Mashie. I think I can live with that.

Which iron are going to start with in your Burners? 4 or 5? Heres the Burner 2.0 lofts:

So a good 3i replacement is the M2 18* and then I figure the M3 at 20.5* is closest to the Burner 4i.

I think I am going to take the 4 iron out of the bag and game two hybrids, so probably then by the sounds of it it would be M2,M3

But how do the distances correlate?

But how do the distances correlate?

Thats a good question. And I guess thats the wild card here. I think I had the M3 in the bag down in FL and was hitting it pretty close to what I hit my 4i. We had a 200+ par 3 I remember using the M3 and hitting the green with it.

If I can get my club degrees as close as possible I figure I should always have a club for the shot. At least thats my thinking. Results may vary lol. Right now the biggest gap should be between my 13* 3W and the 18* Mashie. I think I can live with that.

I see, that makes sense.. thanks!

Theres so much more than loft in this equation, maybe just wait and see for oncourse testing.
Thats a good question. And I guess thats the wild card here. I think I had the M3 in the bag down in FL and was hitting it pretty close to what I hit my 4i. We had a 200+ par 3 I remember using the M3 and hitting the green with it.

I find the hybrid to be a more versatile club so not I do not find the need to have a 3W. If I need more distance than that I still have a 14.5* hybrid in my bag.

Ok, that makes sense. I ask because I am thinking of doing something similiar. Maybe lose the 3W and go to an M2? Or would that be too much drop off? The M1 isnt an option as it doesnt come in LH

Ok, that makes sense. I ask because I am thinking of doing something similiar. Maybe lose the 3W and go to an M2? Or would that be too much drop off? The M1 isnt an option as it doesnt come in LH

I am going through that thought process right now myself. yes I have a 14.5* hybrid and I could get the Mashie 15.5* but do I really need those clubs or could I pull them out of my bag and look at perhaps a wedge that might help me more. does the estimated 25-35 extra yards in distance I could get with the M1 really help me that much over 18 holes. TC had some great comments about this I believe in this thread. I would search for that or ask him directly his thoughts as well.

To OEM Kevin- I will surely try out the X-24s when I finally decide to buy new irons, although I am almost set on the G15s, I just really like hitting the long iron G15s over my X-22s.
To Chunkylover77- Thanks for your input. I feel exactly the same way about the G15 long irons, they seem much more forgiving than my callys and much higher straighter ball flight also.I will look into the shaft options when I get fitted, thanks again.
To Hanks- Good question, I think OEM Kevin hit the nail on the head, im always looking for new gear whether needed or not, but I need for forgiveness and consistency in the long irons and the G15s seem like a fix for that. Sorry for not copying your posts guys im on the job and speed of replies was needed, thanks all for your replies.

For what it's worth I'm pulling the 3/4/5 irons and replacing them with M3/M5. I rarely used the 4 iron so just decided to bin it and the 3/5 lofts match up well. I know the extra shaft length is going to cause a bit of a distance gap between the M5 and the 6 iron which will have to be sorted. Luckily for me the 6 iron is my best club to try and put a little more oomph on.

The other interesting though is pondering an M1 to replace the FW for ground shots. Generally I only hit the FW off the tee so having the M1 might not be a bad option for those long 4's/5's that we have around here. The other side to that thought is looking at the 910FD fairway. From what I've heard, Titelist made it to hit off the tee with a bigger face but also a crappy sole so that you don't hit it off the ground. I know that this looks like reducing one's options but if I never use the option then it's an interesting thought. However that's going to have to wait until Feb 4th when they start showing up and I can have a gander and a test.

Anybody given the Karsten 1959 series a test drive? It's basically replacing the older (3 years) Karsten series line. I've got a karsten's series Zing putter that's nice but unfortunetly never made it into my bag. It's number one in my living room carpet though. I was drawn to the karsten series simply cuz the logic made sense: Proven Model Shapes, Ping level craftmanship, all under a $100 price tag. However a few things just prevented it from making it into my bag:
1. Somehow the karsten zing putter was both Larger AND Lighter then my old original Ping Zing 2 becu
2. Wasn't a fan of the sound of the ball off the clubface. Undeniable click of a steel face yet the insert buried in the cavity made it sound softer, thinner and more hollow sounding. Basically after a few strokes I got the impression the steel face was only .00001" thick and would cave in with some pressure with my thumbnail. It didn't and the face is not that thin but once you an idea like that buried in your head........ basically I started getting the feeling that the "super thin" club face was acting like a trampoline and giving inconsistent distance control.

Now everything in italics is my opinion and what feelings I came away with from the karsten series putters. The New Karsten 1959 seires seems like they drilled into my brain and addressed the issues I had. Thinner top line and more streamlined design of the models. Club heads are heavier and they've redesigned the insert behind the club face to provide a "more pleasing sound at impact. This helps provide better distance control and builds confidence in your stroke so you can make more putts."
pulled from ping website

Anyways the new Karsten 1959 line is currently whats on my radar right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back