Review Ernest Sports ESB1 launch monitor

kiwichris

Team Smoked Charcuterie
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Finally got to test out the latest portable launch monitor from Ernest Sports.

The ESB1 is the replacement for the older ES14 model with some major upgrades.

First is the B which stands for Behind the player, making this monitor much easier to use without the fear of hitting the box like the ES14 did (it was forward of the player so in the eyeline).

Simple monitor and app, gives the standard 6 data points (Club Head speed, Ball speed, Smash Factor, Launch Angle, Backspin & Carry Distance).

Unlike the 14, there is only a session log whereas the 14 has a supplemental club fitting app.

I found that on my indoor setup it captured 100% of the shots unlike the 14. Outside it will be a different story as the monitor uses a microphone to trigger the doppler radar to capture the ball & club head.

So far I'm pretty happy with it, price is good ($550) and I was able to get it cheaper with a trade in of my 14 & a Black Friday $50 dollar discount.

Next up will be a session with it at the PGA store to match numbers with the GC Hawk they use in the rental bays.

Attachments

• 20201215_131742.jpg
    20201215_131742.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 20201215_132817.jpg
    20201215_132817.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 20201215_132827.jpg
    20201215_132827.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210109_163455.jpg
    20210109_163455.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 45
Nice looking unit. Do you know if they have plans for a club data add-on like you said the 14 had?

I've reached out to the rep I worked with and asked that question, no response yet.

Fingers crossed they add it.

I’m interested to hear what they say as well. With regards to the backspin, how accurate are the spin rates so far? Have you, or do you plan to put this up against a Trackman or similar high dollar launch monitor?

Plan on taking it to the PGA store and testing against their GC Hawkeye system soon

I’ll be interested to see how close they are with spin. Have been contemplating a mevo or mevo+ just to get spin data, but hate the idea of messing with the metal stickers. Keep us posted what you find out.

Definitely watching to see your comparison results, it looks like it has promise.

It's a massive improvement over the ES14 with it being behind now.

Interested & will be following along.

I heard it is compatible with a shot tracer like ES14. Is this correct?

Update on the software side of things.

My contact at Ernest Sports told me that he will look into the older club fitting app as it was before his time at the company.

An interesting note on the data. Launch angle and spin rate are calculated. Its important to set the static loft of each club for what you're using prior to a session.

I've reached out to the chief engineer who came up with the algorithms to get more info.

With this in mind it will be very interesting to side by side against the Hawk. Just got to find the time between new builds, work and life.

I had a 14 and was very happy with it. It was pretty accurate. Sold it when I got the 16.

I had a 14 and was very happy with it. It was pretty accurate. Sold it when I got the 16.
Nice, I'm very intrigued about the 16, seems like the most bang for your buck in the data market, radar plus hs camera, simulation and a price that few can touch

Nice, I'm very intrigued about the 16, seems like the most bang for your buck in the data market, radar plus hs camera, simulation and a price that few can touch
The 16 is not great for sim golf courses but for practice it is really good. The club data is excellent on it

Nice @kiwichris. Awesome to see you got the chance to try it out. I'd be interested to see how accurate it is compared to others too. Like say Rapsodo. What PGA Superstore you going to?

The 16 is not great for sim golf courses but for practice it is really good. The club data is excellent on it
Do you just mean the compatible software available isn't great, or do these have issues doing sim courses?

Just received a email for $75.00 off from Global Golf on the ESB1 , might have to pull the trigger.
Use code GGPB1

Attachments

• Gmail - Exclusive Sale from Ernest Sports.PDF
    265.6 KB · Views: 7
Nice @kiwichris. Awesome to see you got the chance to try it out. I'd be interested to see how accurate it is compared to others too. Like say Rapsodo. What PGA Superstore you going to?
Closest to me is the Westminster store, saves me fighting Denver traffic to get to the south one

Just received a email for $75.00 off from Global Golf on the ESB1 , might have to pull the trigger.
Use code GGPB1
Thats good, they still sell & support the ES14 which has the club fitting app but the B1 is behind you so it takes the fear of hitting it away.

Do you just mean the compatible software available isn't great, or do these have issues doing sim courses?
I never used sim software. I used the driving range. It was really accurate and the club info was excellent.
Some guys I know that are big into full sim golf said they had an issue with compatibility.
I was just looking for ball and club data and it was great for that

I never used sim software. I used the driving range. It was really accurate and the club info was excellent.
Some guys I know that are big into full sim golf said they had an issue with compatibility.
I was just looking for ball and club data and it was great for that
I really want the ES Tour Plus, once I test out the ESB1 for accuracy I hope I can find the cash for that to make use of the sim and the better club data

Hey @kiwichris !

Did you ever get out to compare accuracy? I think a launch monitor is in my future and this one is on my list of possibilities I'm reading as much as I can from real life users and would like to hear about your experience.

Hey @kiwichris !

Did you ever get out to compare accuracy? I think a launch monitor is in my future and this one is on my list of possibilities I'm reading as much as I can from real life users and would like to hear about your experience.
Unfortunately not yet, haven't had the time although I've had at Top Golf and it was pretty close with ball speed but I don't trust the top tracer there.
I'll be doing some better testing later this month in Florida

Thanks Chris!

Back