Etiquette while testing clubs

Bowtiepower00

Reaction score
Stopped by my local shop today. PGA tour superstore, Stopped in right at opening (9am...) Ive spent plenty with them in the past, if that matters.

Went there looking for hitting mats and such, fitting area was empty. Asked the Pro if they had any Radspeed drivers in LH, to my surprise, they did. He asked if I wanted to hit one, I hesitated but said sure.

Full disclosure, I just ordered (and received) my set of Radspeed OL irons direct from Cobra. I spend a decent amount per year on golf, but I’m pretty much done (besides green fees) until the fall. Anything from Cobra or Callaway is on the radar- I like the fact I can exchange shafts between Callaway offerings. B21 is on the short list.

I’m not looking to be a “tire kicker” and waste anyone’s time, but I’m genuinely interested in the Rads, and will consider an upgrade in the fall, if I see a noticeable improvement.

I’m new to testing clubs in an indoor setting. It was my first time hitting on a sim, the info was invaluable.

A few serious buyers showed up and I hit a few and left. Didnt want to take the fitters time away from them.

Im not a total looky-loo, and plan on doing an in store fitting for my next driver. Is it okay for me to go in and hit different clubs here and there? I dont wanna be “that guy...”

100% okay. The bays are there for you to test clubs. My guideline - just be honest when the salesperson asks. If you’re a tire kicker, say so. If you’re comparing to buy, that’s ok as well. In my limited experience, so long as they’re not swamped, most folks want to “play” too so will offer up the sim and options to test.

Like you wrote - the fitter asked you.

I do exactly what you did. And I always tell the guy that if he needs the bay then just to bump me because I usually am just looking for the sake of looking and if he has someone that wants to be fit to fit them.

Nothing wrong with it. I go to local Golf USA store and hit clubs, I also buy a good but of my golf gear from them. I don't abuse it but they know I will keep it short and if I need something I will buy before I leave the store.

I would have done what you did if serious buyers showed up and I wasn't at the moment. I don't think there's anything wrong with "kicking the tires" if you know you are going to be in the market. Many a sale began when someone was just looking or curious about a club. I have been known to try clubs once, leave, and come back another day to see if I get similar results with a different swing. That's at a place where they know me and know I spend a decent amount of money with them.

But then, I am almost exclusively a try-it-before-I-buy-it guy, and unless the store guy was unhelpful/rude - and I have had them - I usually buy it where I try it.

It's sort of like that GEICO commercial where the guy keeps sampling the free brownies: if you think you're that guy, you are probably not. If you don't think you're that guy, you may well be. If the sales rep thinks you're abusing the system, he will let you know, probably in multiple ways before he comes right out and tells you.

Thanks for the replies. TBH, I didn’t expect them to have Rad drivers in LH when I asked, LH clubs are hard to find, I had already looked at every LH club new and used in the store at that point, lol. But damn, these Rads have my attention. And trying different shafts and lies? I was on cloud 9. The Pro was super cool. I’ve never seen my ball or swing speeds, so it was an eye opener. Really great experience.

Often they ask, but even if they don;t, I like to let them know what I thought of the club. That has led to some very interesting follow-on conversations and trials.

I’ve never had the opportunity to try different shafts and flexes, it was eye-opening. I’ve ordered all of my gear from CPO except for my new Rad OL. Luckily, my research seems to have put me in the right gear for me. My current driver loft and shaft were right on based on the numbers I saw today. Made me confident in my current selections that were based on personal preferences and online data.

It's just like anything else. Be considerate, which it sounds like you were, and they should welcome you wanting to try stuff. They know that ultimately the more you like your experiences there the more you'll end up spending there. To me it's relationships. I go where I like the guys and gals, like hitting there, and spend my money there because of that. I play rounds with some store guys I've met going in to try things.

Like @Reframmellator , maybe more so, I try to hit everything I'm interested in on multiple days to verify results. No swing is the same every day. And like you if it's not something I'm going to pull the trigger on right then I'll get out of the way if a sale opportunity comes in. You did it right imo.

I know that I spend enough in my local store to eliminate any guilt for being a test driver some days.
That said, if its busy and I know I'm not buying I get out of the way.

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. The bays were open, it wasn't crowded and you didn't hog it for two hours while other people were waiting. And you came away with some useful information.

tired kicker..... I....

As long as you are not banging away with no interest in buying and someone is waiting for you to be done so they can test something.

your golden.

Thanks for the replies. TBH, I didn’t expect them to have Rad drivers in LH when I asked, LH clubs are hard to find, I had already looked at every LH club new and used in the store at that point, lol. But damn, these Rads have my attention. And trying different shafts and lies? I was on cloud 9. The Pro was super cool. I’ve never seen my ball or swing speeds, so it was an eye opener. Really great experience.
I can definitely relate with the LH model struggles. Very cool that they had the RAD in stock! It's high on my radar for when I eventually make a move... still plenty happy with my F9 though.

Happy to hear that you came away feeling like it was such a great experience! As was mentioned - that's kind of the name of the game in retail.

Back