Euro Tour Player of the Year

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
ENDS IN A FREAKING TIE! Really? Only in the land of soccer/football :act-up:

G-Mac & Martin Kaymer share top honors. Anybody think Lee will drop a message and say how it is unfair and he should of won? :alien:

haha, too funny.

honestly though, i can actually see how this one could end in a tie. both played spectacularly and both were deserving, but then again the title is PLAYER of the year. my vote would've gone to GMac.

The PGA should send Lee one of those #1 foam hand thingies so he can put it on and walk the fairways after every shot next year .. LOL
Good for both players they both played very well !

• Admin
haha, too funny.

honestly though, i can actually see how this one could end in a tie. both played spectacularly and both were deserving, but then again the title is PLAYER of the year. my vote would've gone to GMac.

You think so? See, I would have thought Kaymer wins hands down. Both have majors. Doesnt Kaymer have MORE wins on the Euro Tour? Both had great years, but I would think Kaymer edged him out.

You think so? See, I would have thought Kaymer wins hands down. Both have majors. Doesnt Kaymer have MORE wins on the Euro Tour? Both had great years, but I would think Kaymer edged him out.

it's tough to say for me. i like the way that GMac won his major though, and he's the first euro to win that title in quite some time. and even though it's not really a part of it, GMac at the Ryder Cup was phenomenal, kaymer......not so much.

• Admin
it's tough to say for me. i like the way that GMac won his major though, and he's the first euro to win that title in quite some time. and even though it's not really a part of it, GMac at the Ryder Cup was phenomenal, kaymer......not so much.

I thought the RC was not part of the voting though? I could be wrong on that. I would also imagine that last weekends victory would not be part of it either.

I thought the RC was not part of the voting though? I could be wrong on that. I would also imagine that last weekends victory would not be part of it either.

i don't believe it is part of it, but perhaps subconsciously it sways me a bit. and like i said, i much prefer the way that GMac won his major.

Hmm, this is an interesting one. Both are certainly deserving of this award. Statistically I believe Kaymer has the upper hand but McDowell is sort of a Cinderella story this year with how well he has performed. I have met both and think they are both exceptional people. If I had to vote I would vote on stats and for that my vote would be with Kaymer.

ENDS IN A FREAKING TIE! Really? Only in the land of soccer/football

G-Mac & Martin Kaymer share top honors. Anybody think Lee will drop a message and say how it is unfair and he should of won?

When I saw this I at first just shrugged it off as another one of those odd Euro-things. But now that you have chosen to mention it JB, I agree that it is more than just odd.

This is tour number 1 player of the year and you guys come up with a tie. What the heck is that? C'mon Man!!

I think we know where I would stand on this one. Kaymer over Gmac, more wins, a major, and won the money title. Both are deserving.

Hmm, I think I'd go Gmac, no Kaymer, no Gmac for sure, hmmm maybe Kaymer.......

I think this thread has confirmed 2 things.
1. The decision for Euro player of the year is EXTREMELY hard to call. I'd also throw Eduardo's hat in the ring, any other year he'd be a lock I think. But the other 2 guys had simply spectacular years.
2. Any excuse to get a bash at old Westy!

Reactions: JB
I think G-Mac is there as I think the US Open win was more of a big deal compared to Kaymer's win at the PGA. No one really expected G-Mac to win there while Kaymer was more of a contender all the way through. Yes Kaymer had more wins so my vote would go to him, but something tells me this was more of a political thing than who was actually the best player.

, but something tells me this was more of a political thing than who was actually the best player.

That is an interesting idea and debate. Sure it could be argued either way, but could it also be said since one is leaving the tour and the other staying that the one staying got more votes because of it moving it into a tie? Interesting? Is it not the same thing as what happened with Rory/Rickie (outside of won/loss & tie)?

I guess if you go just stats, sure kaymer. But, I think that GMac has had an awesome year and produced more talk. I would personally vote for Gmac but they didnt ask

That is an interesting idea and debate. Sure it could be argued either way, but could it also be said since one is leaving the tour and the other staying that the one staying got more votes because of it moving it into a tie? Interesting? Is it not the same thing as what happened with Rory/Rickie (outside of won/loss & tie)?

do the European Players vote on this?

It's got to be an opinion call at some level for Gmac to take it. Guess it depends on who has the most important opinion.

Stats-wise, Kaymer definitely shades it. Especially if we count all 4 majors as equal in terms of (imaginary) points.

I dont know, but I am not sure it matters.

I'm just thinking because if it was voted on by the players and it ended in a tie then I really don't have an issue with it. I'm thinking back to when Jason Kidd and Grant Hill tied for the Rookie of Year award it was voted on by sportswriters. I think if it was a tie voted on by the players it holds more merit. I know the NBA and the Euro tour are completely different, but when I heard Co-player of the year I thought of Kidd and Hill.

Both had great years, but on paper, Kaymer had the better year. I don't think anyone could debate that. So once you take that into consideration, it's hard to believe G-Mac could even be in contention for the honor.

I guess if you go just stats, sure kaymer. But, I think that GMac has had an awesome year and produced more talk. I would personally vote for Gmac but they didnt ask

I think both of them produced a lot of talk, where were these guys back in 2009? They were both off the radar. We might have gotten more from G-MAc earlier as the Open was just earlier in the year, but after the PGA, Kaymer was definitely the talk of the town.

I'm just thinking because if it was voted on by the players and it ended in a tie then I really don't have an issue with it.

But you did with Rickie vs Rory? That was voted on by the players.

nah, it's a jab by the euro tour and their faithful playing professionals at the pga tour. "if we can have co-player's of the year, then surely you could have co-rookies of the year".

WW3 is gonna be started b/c of golf, twitter, and an awards banquet.

nah, it's a jab by the euro tour and their faithful playing professionals at the pga tour. "if we can have co-player's of the year, then surely you could have co-rookies of the year".

haha, the only 'co' thing we can't seem to have is coexistance! Wipe them out! Bring an end to the malevolent foces of the PGA! R&A all the way!
:D

I'm just thinking because if it was voted on by the players and it ended in a tie then I really don't have an issue with it. I'm thinking back to when Jason Kidd and Grant Hill tied for the Rookie of Year award it was voted on by sportswriters. I think if it was a tie voted on by the players it holds more merit. I know the NBA and the Euro tour are completely different, but when I heard Co-player of the year I thought of Kidd and Hill.

I agree it would be better if the players voted, but then it turns into a popularity contest which I do not like. I'd much prefer it be by stats than opinion, which I fear is the case here.

That's funny, I've been saying that for a long time now

haha, the only 'co' thing we can't seem to have is coexistance! Wipe them out! Bring an end to the malevolent foces of the PGA! R&A all the way!
:D

I love chatting with you paulo. You bring honest and reasoning to the internet.

Let me ask you this. Dont we have co-existence now? I mean you never hear a peep out of the PGA Tour and their players about the Euro Tour. Virtually nothing. Only one side seems to be doing the talking. I guess my question is with the player of the year and rookie of the year awards. Why was it such a big deal on one side and not the other (voting)? I mean both things could be taken the same way by fans. Honest question to a guy I know will give an honest answer.

But you did with Rickie vs Rory? That was voted on by the players.

I thought Rory should have won, because he was eligible as a Rookie based on the standards for that award. I never said I had a problem with Rickie winning it. Here is my first post in that thread.

I may have done the same, everyone talks about winning tournaments. Rory won at Quail Hollow with a very strong field. I don't have an issue with Rickie Fowler being selected though.

The point I was thinking, right or wrong, was that in the example I gave it wasn't players who voted on it, it was sportswriters and people who watch and write about the game. I think if it comes from the players it holds more merit.

Back