European Golf Equipment Brands??

Frank559

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
The lead up to this weekend’s Ryder Cup has left me wondering, why aren’t there any European golf equipment OEMs? And golf originated in Scotland right?

All the top European players currently bag American branded clubs (except Srixon which is Japanese I believe).

Any reasons for this? And are there European equipment brands you would play (Inesis maybe?)

Once upon a time, Dunlop and Slazenger. But not today.

Once upon a time, Dunlop and Slazenger. But not today.

I think what you’re saying is back in the day Dunlop and Slazenger were brands that were played on tour?

I believe they’re still around but in the bargain bin now, or maybe the Dunlop/Slazenger we see today is just cheap licensed incarnations (like the “As Seen on TV” Adams Golf)?

Yes, they were euro brands. Slazenger was bought out, as was Dunlop. Dunlop is now part of the XXIO group i think.

but in today’s world and economy, why buikd clubs in europe if US or Asian clubs fill the needs?

There are still a few companies left MD Golf who had a Seve connection back in the day and are still going and Lynx have reappeared as a UK company, there are others that I can't think of right now too.

It's hard to believe that the UK doesn't even have a renowned boutique clubmaker like Kenneth Smith in Kansas used to be.
A Scottish clubmaker might have some panache.

U.K.'s ORKA Golf
5368136a925ef25e966267b7ef1d9171.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BENROSS Golf
5665FD95-D214-4326-8453-0B29A6F82C9F.jpeg
Inesis(Decathalon) Golf
5756BD7A-BCF9-4F30-A4BB-411A1E4E3326.png

We do make some golf balls. We assemble clubs but most of the heads, shafts and grips come from China, Vietnam and other places. Nobody makes golf shoes here or in the UK.There’s a bag line out of the UK that’s pretty sweet. Truth is most economically mature countries design things but don’t manufacture them.

Back