European Soccer 2015/2016

Mark_UK

Legal Alien
Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 12.8
Last edited:
A nice opener against Bournemouth to hopefully ease us into a better season than the last one!

Who do you think makes the biggest splash this off season?

Who do you think makes the biggest splash this off season?

ManU will make the biggest splash by hoping and praying for expensive foreign talent. Man City do some head scratching things, as they are below the current "homegrown" limit and need to buy domestic talent.

ManU will make the biggest splash by hoping and praying for expensive foreign talent. Man City do some head scratching things, as they are below the current "homegrown" limit and need to buy domestic talent.

Unfortunately we seem to be taking that route now. Ferguson leaves and now we are doing the same thing I hated every other team for doing.

Unfortunately we seem to be taking that route now. Ferguson leaves and now we are doing the same thing I hated every other team for doing.

Yeah, I was always amazed at home many academy players ManU seemed to field. They always seemed to build with their own youth. Now, they just buy and plug in. To be fair and clear, I really enjoy watching ManU struggle.

Yeah, I was always amazed at home many academy players ManU seemed to field. They always seemed to build with their own youth. Now, they just buy and plug in. To be fair and clear, I really enjoy watching ManU struggle.

I blame no one for that thought haha. I actually hoped our abysmal year in 2013/2014 would make some of these weird band wagon fans fall off, but it didn't seem to work. I seem to very much dislike 90% of the people who call themselves united fans.

went to the United vs. Barcelona summer game a couple of years ago wearing a Scholes jersey the year after he retired for about 20 minutes...and some guy (wearing a united shirt) said "dude, he's retired, stop wearing that jersey". I about clocked him. Most "united fans" get on my damn nerves haha. But I was born into it. can't really fight it.

I blame no one for that thought haha. I actually hoped our abysmal year in 2013/2014 would make some of these weird band wagon fans fall off, but it didn't seem to work. I seem to very much dislike 90% of the people who call themselves united fans.

went to the United vs. Barcelona summer game a couple of years ago wearing a Scholes jersey the year after he retired for about 20 minutes...and some guy (wearing a united shirt) said "dude, he's retired, stop wearing that jersey". I about clocked him. Most "united fans" get on my damn nerves haha. But I was born into it. can't really fight it.

Scholes could still out play most midfielders in that league.

Good stuff Mark. I am subscribed and can't wait to see how the Potters fair in Asia.

Final season before moving to the Olympic Stadium. New manager and new signings. Started their road to Europe last week in the Europa League qualifiers. Should be a interesting season for West Ham.

*coughs* doing what you always did! :act-up:

City will be brining in the best young English prospect in Sterling, and I'm fairly confident we are going to see Pogba land with us before the window closes.

the title chase this year is going to be much tighter then last year. Still think we will see a two horse race however.

City v Chelsea so early in the season is odd in my mind but I don't make the schedules!

Going to miss seeing James Milner playing for City. Hope he plays well for the Scousers.

Going to miss seeing James Milner playing for City. Hope he plays well for the Scousers.
Who is City going to buy to meet the home grown requirements for the Premier League?

Who is City going to buy to meet the home grown requirements for the Premier League?

Sterling, Delph and there is real argument about whether or not Pogba if he signs meets the HG requirement. The rules state he must play for 3 season or be registered for 36 months before a certain birthday(can't remember which one) . He was registered for around 33 months I think but there is debate about whether or not he had 3 full season. Some say yes other no. So we'll see on that one. There is Patrick Roberts who we're trying to sign from fulham and I think you may see Jason Denayer make the leap out of the academy this year. We need 5 HG players.

I know this wasn't to me but Smallville hadn't answered yet so though I'd take a crack at it sorry!

Sterling, Delph and there is real argument about whether or not Pogba if he signs meets the HG requirement. The rules state he must play for 3 season or be registered for 36 months before a certain birthday(can't remember which one) . He was registered for around 33 months I think but there is debate about whether or not he had 3 full season. Some say yes other no. So we'll see on that one. There is Patrick Roberts who we're trying to sign from fulham and I think you may see Jason Denayer make the leap out of the academy this year. We need 5 HG players.

I know this wasn't to me but Smallville hadn't answered yet so though I'd take a crack at it sorry!
Sounds like you're on it! haha

Every weekend without the EPL drives me crazy. I can't wait for August 8th!!

Spurs are selling deadwood and completed (what I think is) a very good signing in Toby Alderweireld yesterday. Short of Lloris leaving for ManU, they should finally have a pretty solid back five...and Harry Kane. The midfield is still in need of some work.

Just been reading how the NFL games are moving from Wembley in 2017 to the new White Hart Lane. They've secured a 10 year deal for at least 2 games a season. I thought that was a bit weird until I read about the stadium. It has a retractable grass pitch with astro turf underneath that will be used for the American Football. Holds 61,000, so smaller than Wembley, but the pitch used to get so torn up when the NFL games were played, that this move sounds like a great idea. The stadium looks impressive too.

*coughs* doing what you always did! :act-up:

Oh man...I don't want to get into this argument, but historically Man United has done one of the best jobs at raising talent through their youth ranks and up into the first team...at least while I was growing up with them. Their team in the 90's was primarily comprised of former youth rank players, or players that they had acquired very young and molded them up. The list is extensive and impressive when you look at what they did with those players, and a lot of them were English or at least British to take Giggs into account.

What I was referring to and very much was against, is primarily the way Chelsea built their team once the Russian came in, and they started buying just about everyone they could find, including an aging Ballack. It was terrible to watch that team because it was like they put it together like a video game. That kind of stuff is the whole reason they put this home grown thing into place. United for the longest time did one of the best jobs of the top 4 teams at having English/British talent. Unfortunately, we have almost completely fallen off of that now...but it's definitely not a "what we always did" type thing. The past couple seasons have been brutal for me regarding that kind of stuff. You can see how bad it's gotten when we weren't even able to build up Cleverly and we ended up losing Welbeck. I've been watching Welbeck since he was like 16 and always thought he was a fantastic talent, and the second he starts proving it and doing well, he's gone.

United has definitely splashed cash in transfer windows in the past, but it was usually maybe 1 or 2 players for top tier talent. It was rarely throwing a bunch of cash at super stars and hoping they struck gold. We did things like acquire Carrick and Jones and try to build those players up from a raw young talent...but that seems gone.

I don't like the direction United is heading with it, but it is what it is.

Di Maria, Falcao, Matta, Van Persie, Fellani, Blind, Depay..all in the past couple seasons. We didn't used to do that. You could go through multiple versions of FIFA the video game and only have a couple different players on United in the past. Now each year seems like a whole different team.

Just been reading how the NFL games are moving from Wembley in 2017 to the new White Hart Lane. They've secured a 10 year deal for at least 2 games a season. I thought that was a bit weird until I read about the stadium. It has a retractable grass pitch with astro turf underneath that will be used for the American Football. Holds 61,000, so smaller than Wembley, but the pitch used to get so torn up when the NFL games were played, that this move sounds like a great idea. The stadium looks impressive too.

As I have read things, the NFL still may negotiate to play some games in addition (beyond those first two) at Wembley, but having the NFL games there at the new WHL and having the astroturf field available for other events really seems like a great way to subsidize the cost of a venue that will be used for Spurs maybe 30 times a year max. Time will tell if this gives them all the revenue streams they dream of to compete with the really big boys, but it certainly sounds like a step in the right direction. It does look like a beautiful venue that I will definitely go see someday.

Can someone explain the rules for signing players in the BPL?

Stoke just had Begovic signed away to Chelsea for a transfer fee. It is all very confusing to me still.

Can someone explain the rules for signing players in the BPL?

Stoke just had Begovic signed away to Chelsea for a transfer fee. It is all very confusing to me still.
If a player is under contract, the team call sell the rights to that player to another team, who then has to sign the player to a new contract. The purchase price is not the contract.

If a player is under contract, the team call sell the rights to that player to another team, who then has to sign the player to a new contract. The purchase price is not the contract.
Ahh that makes more sense. So that happens a lot with players on the last year of deals to actually get something for them, if they do not resign of course.

Thanks man

Ahh that makes more sense. So that happens a lot with players on the last year of deals to actually get something for them, if they do not resign of course.

Thanks man
It also happens with big clubs who sign big names and have to sell off players to make room. Arsenal has done this with Özil and Alexis

It also happens with big clubs who sign big names and have to sell off players to make room. Arsenal has done this with Özil and Alexis
Got it. Selling off the players to get cash for other moves

Sucked to see Begovic go and hopefully Butland is ready to step in and be the guy for Stoke.

Back