OldeDude

--Still Alive and Well--
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
--17--
I would guess many across the country might have seen news of the "Caldor Fire" that went crazy last night and today in the Sierras east of Sacramento California. Well the fire started Saturday, and through Monday afternoon it was relatively small, for a wild fire out here, around 700 acres or so, in an area I know really well, and quite a ways from our home. This morning we woke up to find it had gone crazy overnight, had grown to around 6,500 acres, and was a couple of ridges to the east of our house, and moving primarily north and a bit east. I never felt we were in danger, but around 8:00 this morning we were informed we were in a mandatory evacuation area. We got ourselves, our dog, and some stuff we wouldn't want to lose (cars, kayaks, dirt bike, GOLF CLUBS!), out and down the hill a ways, and we are staying with some friends.

The fire really has been completely out of control today, growing to over 30,000 acres, devastating a couple of communities, and threatening others. We are still confident our home is safe, things would have to really go extraordinarily sideways to threaten our little community, and I think we might be some of the first allowed to return home in the next day or two. We have many friends that might not be as lucky as us in that regard, with homes in extreme danger, hopefully all will be safe and will have homes to return to.

We've lived in our house for 31 years, and this is the first time we've had to evacuate, and it is an eye opening experience. I couldn't imagine the stress level of those that are in greater danger of losing everything, because even being pretty sure our home is safe, it has been a very trying day.

I probably won't have many opportunities to be online until we get back home, and I just needed to type this up as a way of venting a bit at the end of a tough day.

Glad to hear that you and your family got out safely. Hopefully you and your friends are able to return home soon.
Thoughts and prayers for everyone affected.

Sorry to hear this. Praying for you and your community.

Good Luck @OldeDude. Sorry to hear this and will be praying for all of you to return home safely very soon.

Will be praying for you and your neighbors. Sorry you are going through this.

I hope today is a better day than yesterday was for you and yours...

Prayers and stay safe

Very sorry to hear. Be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Praying for you @OldeDude !!

Stay safe! Hope it leaves you alone.

Oh man, I couldn’t imagine. Be safe good sir!

Here's to hoping that all is well with you and your neighbors. Hopefully the fire comes under control quickly!

I live in a forested area and even though we are pretty moist here the threat of a fire is always in the back of your mind. We are always reminding each other to put the camp fires out and to make sure the coals are cool and out. My prayers are with you and your family. I hope you can return to your home soon.

Safety first. Understand how you feel.

Be safe and hopefully today brings more favorable conditions for the firefighters.

Prayers for you @OldeDude and all the communities involved! Stay safe and I pray you get to return home soon!

T&P's for a safe return home

I'm so sorry! Keeping you, your family, and community in my prayers.

Stay safe - prayers for you guys.

Stay safe @OldeDude . The forum will be here when you get back, take care of what you need to and make sure that the community is safe.

Be safe @OldeDude take care of the family. Praying that the fire stays away from your house. :eek:

Glad you were able to get out safely. Good luck and be safe!

It’s nice to hear you and your family are safe. I hope you are able to return home safe as well.

Back