Ever Completely Lost Your Golf Swing?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Having a conversation with someone today and this popped up. Figured I would ask here.

Every round I play, I have at least 1 shot that makes people ask, "Is he a beginner?"

Seriously though, yes. On occasion I wonder where my swing decided to go visit.

Actually lost, no. Momentarily or felt like it's been lost or is lost, all the time.

Oh yea. All the cool kids are doing it!
1614102019653.gif

I don't think I've ever lost my swing. But I definitely have lost an ability to hit one specific club at times. For example, right now I'm struggling mightily with a fairway metal. That used to be a strong suit of mine off the tee when the driver wasn't quite working. But man....I can't hit that off the tee very well right now. It's happened to me with a hybrid, and even wedges. I think we let small thing creep into our swings that just don't work at times with certain clubs. Either that or I'm just an amateur that goes through ups and downs, or perhaps both.:unsure::unsure:

Having a conversation with someone today and this popped up. Figured I would ask here.

Can’t lose what you never found!

I’ve struggled at times and had to just back off a bit to manage the round and then hit the driving range

On multiple occasions to varying degrees. Varying from "I probably could have hit that better" to "never played the game before".

I went through a stretch last year for about 2 months that was really disheartening.

I have definitely lost my driver swing before. I'll go weeks where I can't get my timing right and I leave absolutely everything left. Irons are generally pretty strong in terms of being confident with that swing.

kind of. last year i lost my driver swing. it was debilitating. mostly mental, though.

i've had a pretty severe case of the shanks. and they'll still pop back up.

golf is hard.

Yes a few years ago post severe shoulder injury I completely lost power and any sense of direction and the harder I tried the worse it got to point afraid to start golf swing. Went from single digit to 90s or worse. Went from draw to big at times fade. Quit cold turkey for 3 months and did a lot of rehab and to a point after a lot of range work it slowly came back. Has never fully comeback yet to this day but working on it on course and in gym.

Yes and I think what separates the Low Caps from the High is their ability to work through the issue during a round and not lose focus.

Luckily not for very long, but I vividly remember it happening on two specific occasions during my round. One was halfway through a 9 hole high school match when all of a sudden, I started hitting big hooks with all my shots. I was one over par on the 5th hole when I hooked a 6 iron about 70 yards OB on my approach. I finished 11 over, lol.

The other was about 12 years ago, and I started topping the ball on all my shots early in the round, and I shot 18 strokes over my course handicap and tied for my worst round since I was 16 years old. I actually almost whiffed a couple of tee shots that wound up going about 70 yards that day. The next day on a much tougher course I shot 73 with no range time before my round, proving that golf makes no sense.

My golf swing is bad and erratic to begin with but tend to pull hook left......but one day I showed up on course....and everything was a cold shank right. I was at a complete loss. Only professional help got me out of that dark place.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not sure what is meant by "completely?"

Ill answer on my assumption. I have lost parts of my golf swing. Shanks, tops, massive slices etc etc. But the whole thing from top to bottom? I dont think so. usually its one small part of the swing that mysteriously falls apart.

Lost it .... nah :unsure: Maybe a temporary misplacement of it. Sometimes it's left at home or maybe it's at the bar on hiatus. It leaves periodically & that's when I have to step away from the game for a bit. Sometimes just a day & sometimes a week or so. :rolleyes: Thankfully it comes back eventually.

I'll add to what I said earlier. Yesterday, I played in a 2-man scramble and was hitting my driver quite well (we used 12 of my 14 drives). If I get the chance to play tomorrow, I can almost guarantee that the proverbial broad side of that barn better watch out.

That's assuming I actually have a golf swing..... but yeah, lost what I consider a swing trying to implement a change which I could never get the feel, the thought, the move down..... that and about every 3rd hole I play seems like I lose something. :ROFLMAO:

Absolutely and it’s sooo depressing lol.

Absolutely. Most recently it happened when I went for an iron fitting. I warmed up with my own clubs and knew it was going to be a wasted session. I just couldn’t make contact. I was hitting everywhere except where I needed to...chunks, tops, and even a whiff.

I went to the range two days later and had a great day striking the ball. This is a stupid game.

Back