Ever Completely Lost Your Golf Swing?

I went through a spell of about 3 rounds roughly 5 years ago where every iron or wedge was a complete shank off to the right. Just a line drive almost 90 degrees. I don't remember how I broke out of it, but it was horrendous.

My iron swing has been MIA since late October.

Yes, I’ve lost it mid round on several occasions. Once I was playing a course where I was +3 through 6 holes and ended up not breaking 90. I was plagued with hitting ground balls to the left.

Yup. When I was younger I got the el hozels so bad that I quit the game for a few years. Didn't really get back into it until after college.

Why the sad face? I've lost my swing, you've witnessed it haha

i'm sad that you've lost it. i want you to have it back!

If you mean lost swing as in afraid to go to the golf course because you don't know where the ball is going, then yes. I lost my swing.

I had a slice. It's my normal shot. Fade. Power fade. Slice... it varied with how hard I swung my club.
Internet research and reading here showed me the answer. Strengthen my grip.
Well, that fixed my slice and turned it into a hook.
A trip to my local golf store on their launch monitor and the guy running it had me include a bit of spine angle and pull my lead shoulder more inline with the rest of me, and moved my hands closer together on the club.
This resulted in straight shots.
I've repeated this a couple of range sessions. Now I'm not afraid of where the ball will go.

Yes, it's almost always tempo related.

Right after I got a spot in the Grandaddy back in 2014, I started practicing hard core to get my swing in shape for the event and I had lot it. I was a scratch golfer and then, gone. I was shanking everything, not just my wedges....everything....yes, driver, too. For a whole month! From the middle of September to October of that year. I worked HARD to fix it before December. I worked with two swing coaches, both with GolfTec to figure it out. One over the phone, and one in person. It was crazy though, because my swing FELT fine....but wasn't. Once I got on the monitor I was able to see it. I worked my ass off to fix it, too. It wasn't perfect at the event. I don't know if @JB remembers this (I hope not)...I was done with my fitting and hitting some irons on the right side of the range, and hit two back to back off the neck and into the large iron pole holding up the net. (BONG.....BONG) Thankfully, during the event I only did it once and that was out of some thick rough, so that might have been a combo of the swing, lie and rough.

Since then, it's been in my head. BUT I'm aware of it now and it only sneaks in from time to time, when I don't practice much and get out of my game/head.

But...yeah I've lost it before and it sucked.

Lost it no, misplaced it in the jumble of swing thoughts in my head? Yes! 😥

Oh yeah. At the Tahoe Open in 2018 (i think). I had only been back into playing about 1 year and had been playing ok, but a case of the laterals snuck into my swing and I had no clue how to fix it... just endure it and try to keep a smile on my face was all I could do.

I was playing in an event and had my wife caddying for me. I had shot 69-70 at the course I grew up the previous 2 days, granted it is easy. I went out an acquired the S-Words and shot 91. A lot of fun. Went back to playing normal right after. Just a blip on the radar.

At the end of the season last year, I absolutely lost my driver swing. Still am not confident with it right now but have been working hard to get it back!

Is the Pope, Catholic?

Oh yeah, my swing is erratic as is but there was one specific stretch of golf I'll never forget. I was playing a course called The Tradition Golf Club in Wallingford, CT with my brother and a couple of his friends. I was really struggling with a slice on the front 9, and culminated on a par 3 where I hit like 5 straight shots from the tee box that were all progressively worse slices. Thankfully my brother saw an issue and gave me one simple tip that reeled things back in somewhat. I'm glad he was there because had I been alone I genuinely think I might have walked off the course. Just thinking about that day makes me shudder

I was playing in an event and had my wife caddying for me. I had shot 69-70 at the course I grew up the previous 2 days, granted it is easy. I went out an acquired the S-Words and shot 91. A lot of fun. Went back to playing normal right after. Just a blip on the radar.

Feel like we all know who the real culprit of this was....:)

Yes, at my first THP Event; The Hogan Experience...

I was on the range the morning of the event with my new PTx irons in hand, I wasn't able to hit one clean shot on the range, and I was shanking - Argh! I was very nervous on the first tee (typical THP event) but his a pretty solid drive. The scary shot was my approach with the new iron, and I hit it clean; thank goodness. I hit them all pretty good the rest of the round as well as day two.

I had a time when I completely forgot how to swing. Was too in my head, thinking about it too much.

Would get to the top of the swing and just freeze. Didn't know what to do next.

It was absolutely terrible.

yep, especially after an injury. It seems as though i will swing with ease and hit it down the center or the awesome drop draw. then .....Gone

Went to golf about 15 years ago and got a small bucket. Proceeded to shank the entire bucket into the cart barn building. Packed up and went home.

I've had rounds where I just can't find it but it usually mysteriously shows up at my next outing. During those rounds where it's gone I feel like I've never swung a club before and that this is how it will be forever. Very frustrating.

I’d say about once every 7 rounds I have a round where I have a stretch of 6 holes that’s absolutely brutal

My swing? Easier to lose than my car keys and harder to find . . . .

I've had a few rounds where I couldn't hit anything with consistency. I was able to fix those events by going back to the range and starting over from grip and stance. I'd made so many "corrections" I'd gotten away from anything resembling a good swing.

Yep it happens on occasion for a round or two. Weird thing is that it seems to happen after a stretch of playing well where I feel like I have finally figured this game out. Go figure. Guess that why all of us here are gluttons for punishment.

More often than I'd like to admit :ROFLMAO:

Back