Ever Completely Lost Your Golf Swing?

It usually happens about once a season for me. Something odd would happen on the golf course and then suddenly I would try adjusting for it. Next thing you know I was going Down that unrecoverable vortex. I would then see my golf instructor and within about three swings he would see exactly what was going on and I would be cured. This last season was different however. I was experiencing back problems like I never have before. The golf coach wasn’t helping and it turned out I had to completely redo my swing to take all the pressure off my lower back.

Once per year. Like clockwork.

It’s the penance of being a timing golfer.

This thread got me thinking about chatting with my BIL at Christmas. He said he was going to miss me coming out to play this year and we got talking about when I was out there 2 years ago and went full on Barkley for 2 holes while playing at Hansom Dam in LA. My swing just totally abandoned me, put 7 balls OB in 2 holes, had the full on Barkley hitch in my swing and I was just clueless over the ball. We got laughing so hard that we had to let 2 groups behind us play through but, after that short break, I finished out going par,birdie,par to finish the round so it was just a mild brain fart!

Absolutely. Was playing really good this summer and then it was like a switch flipped and my swing was gone for about a month. But it seems to be back now. It's rough mentally when you lose your swing because you know you can produce good results, but nothing you are doing is fixing it. You just have to keep playing and working through it. It even got to a point where I wasn't having fun during my rounds, so per some recommendations from some friends, I took a few weeks off and reset mentally. Seemed to help.

absolutely yes.... for me I think its when im hitting the range and trying to think too much vs just swinging. Ill try and focus on something I saw in my swing from recording it and watching numerous videos trying to help what I do wrong

the shanks and hard right misses show up for 2-3 range sessions in a row. Sure enough the solution has been to take a day or 2 off from swinging. Ill show up to the course and all of a sudden my swing is back

luckily my swing only seems to be lost at the driving range

It happened to me last year. Was playing pretty well then I just started hooking my driver, fairway metals, and hybrids. I mean violent duck hooking. I worked hard on the range and managed to get to where I could put my driver in play but still struggled with fairway metals and hybrids to the point that I replaced my 4 & 5 hybrids with irons. Took over a month to get back to playing decently.

One thing I would caution everyone on - do not spend too much time on the range trying to figure out what is wrong. I found that all I was doing was ingraining BAD habits into my swing. By playing more and being attentive to my swing I was able to correct the problems and get better results. The main problem wound up being poor weight transfer. Hopefully I have eliminated this problem and 2021 will bring a more consistent game.

Someone once told me that when you learn the golf swing, you never forget. Boy was they wrong!

Yes. Twice.

First time was with the driver. I’m not the worlds longest hitter but at the titleist event a few years ago was sitting around 117 club head speed. All of a sudden all I could do with the driver was hit 210-225 yard banana slices, nothing else. Swing hard, swing soft, all the same result. After a few rounds like this my cheap self caved and got a lesson, still unsure of what I was doing wrong but it helped fix it with some work.

second time was coming back from quarantine. Everything golf in LA shut down for 4/5 weeks, and I didn’t pick up and club other than putter for around 2 months. As someone who plays a draw I require a bit of timing to sequence the swing right. First few rounds and range sessions back could be characterized as @JB loves to put it “the b**** fade”. The more I tried to draw the ball the more terrible it was. Got back to basics and simplified the swing and back to the high draw now. Thank the lord.

Yep! Last summer, I went through a case of the "fat shots" with wedges and short irons.

Totally lost.

I was collapsing my right side.

I’m currently building up a better swing as of this post. Thanks, @TrueMotionMatt!

Having a conversation with someone today and this popped up. Figured I would ask here.
It happened sometimes when I was younger but now that Im older, wiser, calmer and more able to self-diagnose my swing, it doesnt really happen anymore. IMO, theres really no such thing as just losing your swing. Its a mental block, like the shanks.

Happened yesterday with my irons. The last swings I had recently were after a iron tune up, putting me upright one degree. 20 or so swings with various irons had a solid draw with a slight cut as a miss. That was two weeks ago.
Yesterday was warm and dry, so went to the range and my irons were all over the place. I hit 7/9/G and the 7 was horrible. Only 1/3 of shots went straight or drew, 1/3 blocked/faded way right and 1/3 were fat. 9 and Gap were marginally better. I couldn't string together 2 decent shots.
I hit 10 balls with my 3 Hybrid and all but one were good, with the bad one off the toe/right. Same with Driver, hit 15 shots and had one off the toe, but the rest were all hit well, on target and great ball flight/carry.

I played golf 3 weeks ago and once 2 weeks prior to that. It all feels very foreign and awkward today when I hit balls. Hoping for a quick turnaround since my son is going from 4 sports to 1 in the next week freeing up some more range time.

Update.............range session this morning and the swing isnt all the way back but it's definitely in the top 25 starting to make a climb up the ranks.

Yes, and it all started with trying to get better. Got it back fortunately. But now instead of going down the rabbit hole of instruction when I hit a bad shot. I blame something else and focus on the next one. 💯 mental for me

I used to be deadly with my irons and terrible with my driver. I put a ton of work into my driver and have seen significant improvements in consistency, accuracy and distance.

Now I can't hit my irons. I can't help myself from staying behind the ball and I end up hitting up on it, frequently either hitting it thin or fat. I also started shanking irons from time to time which I never did before.

So, yeah, I completely lost my swing.

I got the sh@nks during my second visit to Pebble.

Car accident mid June 2020.
Guy pulled out in front of me while I was going about 40mph and I T-boned him.:mad: (Totally his fault, totaled my F150. He was insured, thank God)
Tore Right rotator cuff, and bruised bones in both wrists, along with airbag 2nd degree burns on the back of my left hand.
Just the topper on an 18 month stretch in which my step mom, mother and dad all passed away.
My index was 7.8 at the time, now it's 11 trending to 12. Haven't broke 80 since and more rounds in the 90's than 80's for the past 4 months.:confused:
So yeah, I've lost my swing, especially with my irons.

Last edited:
Yes, for about a year. It was not a fun time.

IMO, it’s less about loosing your swing and more a significant change in tempo.

Chipping yes. Totally gone, started to leak into the rest of the game too. A golfers confidence is very fragile.

Yep.... Club match a couple of years ago. It‘s an 70% handicap single elimination tournament. First round, i completely lost the ability to hit a sand wedge or lob wedge around the green and the rest of my swings weren’t good either.... It all started right on the first hole. Spent the entire round planning shots so i could avoid hitting over traps if i was near, but not on the green. all i could manage was a little 7 iron with a putting stroke.

How i even managed to make it to the 14th hole before getting closed out is beyond me. I was an 18 hcp at the time and my opponent was about a 7, i think... it was a nightmare.... my opponent couldnt even watch me try to use a sand or lob wedge, if i had no other option... fortunately, we can laugh about it now.

Still trying to find my lost driver swing. Started off last year relatively decent. But late in the year and over winter I just lost it. No muscle memory or anything; just straight up gone.

I am starting to make some progress again but it’s so weird to not even have a recollection of what a good swing felt like.

I lost my swing when I started playing after the last spell of snow, earlier this winter I was playing my best golf ever. Last time this happened it took a couple months to overcome, I’m more optimistic now. If I just relax and don’t overthink it I believe it will come back.

Back