Ever have something just click?

Yup, when I discovered , through slo motion swings in the winter, that what I saw as a closed or open club face, at address, didn't end up as that at impact. My mechanics open my club face on the downswing. I didn't want to change how I swing so I just start now with a club face that looks more closed to me. Much more repeatable ball flight

I once played with a guy who set up with his clubface so closed that it was looking at the instep of his left foot! He played right handed and actually had a very nice game. Hit the ball for good distance and accuracy. I nudged my buddy and pointed it out to him. Talking while driving in the cart we wondered how he could possibly hit the ball with that address position. After the round I asked him about it. He told that he had broken his wrist as a child and, not wanting to get in trouble with his parents, because he was doing something he wasn't supposed to, just suffered through it and the wrist didn't heal properly. Thus, he couldn't cock and uncock his wrists in a conventional manner, and this was a work around that he had discovered.

Indicates the adaptability of the human body.

Yes, it happens all the time. Usually for the last 3 or 4 balls in the bucket. And the first 2 or 3 the next time. Then I think about what I did and it goes on walkabout until those last few. Drives me nuts.

It's always one of the last couple balls before you leave. Then you're like wait wait no no what did I do, I need... and then it's too late. You buy another bucket sometimes thinking you got it, and nope.

I once played with a guy who set up with his clubface so closed that it was looking at the instep of his left foot! He played right handed and actually had a very nice game. Hit the ball for good distance and accuracy. I nudged my buddy and pointed it out to him. Talking while driving in the cart we wondered how he could possibly hit the ball with that address position. After the round I asked him about it. He told that he had broken his wrist as a child and, not wanting to get in trouble with his parents, because he was doing something he wasn't supposed to, just suffered through it and the wrist didn't heal properly. Thus, he couldn't cock and uncock his wrists in a conventional manner, and this was a work around that he had discovered.

Indicates the adaptability of the human body.
Especially when age and weight start creeping in, lol.

Click, for me, is understanding something and why it is relevant to my swing. I had been doing something for awhile and then tried to do something else. Later the same thing was explained in a different manner that made sense. What I was working on was right but because I didn’t get it at the time it never stuck.

My instant "click" was in my stance after an 8 year layoff from the game.

I found that if I took my stance with the club, and ball off my right toe, then adjusted my stance (feet) to bring the club/ball to the right position for what ever club I was using, that I hit straighter shots.

Worked even better with my short irons if I closed my stance a little.

Not sure why it worked, but glad it did..

S&T clicked some time ago and I've never looked back. Cut many strokes off my hcp and now I'm focused on putting and chipping because the rest of my game is solid ball striking. S&T is not a slam dunk, it takes dedication, and it also requires "forgetting" my old swing that never worked....but old habits die hard.

Yep, for me it was moving the ball back in my stance. Worked absolute wonders for me and I no longer feel like I’m fighting my irons
This right here.
Put the ball further back than I've ever played it, and it's been a revelation.
I'm now hitting every iron much, much better.
As well as my 2 hybrids, and even my 7W has seen benefits from being moved back a smidge.

came out this season after struggling with a bad pull/cut issue especially in short irons last year. Even prior my stock shot was a 10-15 yard fade at best.

Something about dropping the right hip more in the backswing just stuck and was able to be more consistent with it with the OL. Now my stock iron is straight for the first time probably ever.

Oddly, and maybe this speaks to how bad I am at golf, my buddy suggested I change my visual focus point when swinging. I struggled in several range sessions with shanks and poor contact in general, but he suggested focusing my eyes on the front of the ball. I'd always just casually looked at the back of the ball/club during my swing. Instantly I was making better contact. I don't know if it's something with the visual focal point actually helping, or if by forcing myself to look at that spot (it's still unnatural so I have to focus on keeping my gaze there) I'm just swinging more freely and thus not screwing up :LOL:. Either way I'll take it.

You don't actually have to swing as hard as you can to get the ball to go a long way. Just had this happen on my golf trip this past weekend.

This right here.
Put the ball further back than I've ever played it, and it's been a revelation.
I'm now hitting every iron much, much better.
As well as my 2 hybrids, and even my 7W has seen benefits from being moved back a smidge.
I honestly can’t believe how much of a difference it has made. I struggle with consistent contact and proper launch angle and now I’m absolutely crushing my irons. It’s even allowed me to work the ball more. Sometimes it’s the smallest things that make the difference

I honestly can’t believe how much of a difference it has made. I struggle with consistent contact and proper launch angle and now I’m absolutely crushing my irons. It’s even allowed me to work the ball more. Sometimes it’s the smallest things that make the difference
I hear you, brother! Of course, I'll fat one here, and thin one there, but overall the iron play has increased in quality dramatically.

My left shoulder does whenever I lift my arm above my head. Does that count?

Last edited:
I hear you, brother! Of course, I'll fat one here, and thin one there, but overall the iron play has increased in quality dramatically.
Even the pros hit bad shots here and there;)

Had a click yesterday. Gripped down about a quarter of an inch and it made all the difference in the world. Caught a lot more ball and over pured shots all over the place. We shall see if it sticks for tomorrow evening round.

You don't actually have to swing as hard as you can to get the ball to go a long way. Just had this happen on my golf trip this past weekend.
Had this revelation Saturday as well.

Monte Scheinblum's / Rebellion Golf's new no turn cast video. Just the general direction I should "cast" the clubhead from the top of the swing.

This for me too. I started seeing a lot of improvement a few years ago using Mike Malaska’s concepts for throwing with the right/trail hand. It probably helped because I’m left handed but golf right handed. So using my left usually results in too much left side and terrible shots. However, my application of Malaska’s concepts led to some inside take always with pushes and/or flip hooks.

I think Monte’s concepts have helped me improve the backswing and throw from the top, but in a better way. The no turn part helps keep me from sucking the club too inside and ending up way across the line. The “where” to throw seems to be helping my sequencing as a hole.

Monte Scheinblum's / Rebellion Golf's new no turn cast video. Just the general direction I should "cast" the clubhead from the top of the swing.
Yes, and yes. The Monte S. swing has made a great deal of difference.

I tend to not leave my club behind the ball at address before I swing. I waggle the club a lot and then sort of just grip it and rip it, for lack of a better term.

About two years ago I was getting advice from the local club owner that I need to keep my club behind the ball more before I swing because he thought that was causing my inconsistency. So I sort of compromised and incorporated a move where I set the club down behind the ball after I do the waggle. It's weird, it almost feels like I'm framing the ball (or dropping the clubhead in slot) as I lower the club down and then I pull the trigger. It's an odd move to describe w/o video - but it's worked. I've hit more fairways in the last two years than I hit in the other 15 combined.

So yeah it just clicked and I keep going back to that move whenever my mechanics get a bit sloppy. It seems to help.

Back