Ex-MLB Pro Chases Club Thief at High End Private Course

Papatortuga

Reaction score
Handicap
I saw this article today and it got me thinking/worrying. Has anyone else ever had this happen to them before or heard of it happening?

What really blows my mind about this article is where it took place. Coto de Caza is a prestigious private course in my hometown. Tiger and Phil have been known to frequent the course. The course is inside of a luxurious private community that has one road and two guard gates. There is no way to get into the community without going through security and getting onto the course to play is even tougher (luckily my friend works there and gets me on the course!).

If you don’t want to read the article here’s what basically happened. An ex pro baseball player was on the green putting his ball. While he was on the green, someone stole his golf cart with his clubs, phone, and wallet. The pro ran down the fairway after the thief, confiscated another golfers golf cart, and chased the perp throughout the golf course and neighborhood. Unfortunately, the thief got away and stole his wallet and clubs. The thief racked up $1,000 in charges within minutes after stealing the wallet. Unbelievable

Unbelievable! I knew Grich had to be up there in age since I watched him play when I was a kid in the '70s.

Where did he go?? If it's a gated community, wouldn't there be security and/or cameras near entry and exit points at least?

Right, there's cameras everywhere, especially where he charged the purchases, he's caught easily.

Bobby Grich...I remember him playing when I was a kid. His name just sounds like a baseball player.

Last edited:
That's crazy!!!!

Wow, this happened at Coto? Wow.

I lived in a gated community. I would go to meetings and everyone would speak about how safe and secure the place was....I interjected to one group and said I've got $100 bucks that says I can bring a car inside this compound without any ID, and one of you can ride along with me......No takers. Most gated communities have golf courses. Along with that golf course comes an awful lot of open areas for equipment to meander to and fro…Anyone wishing to engage in nefarious enterprises can bypass amateur security......

Crackheads know how much those PXGs are worth

Ugh, pretty brazen a-hole right there

I assumed it was at a bag drop, I didn’t open it but it sounds like he was on course? That’s nuts at an area like that.

Bag drops scare me to death. High School golf tournaments now scare me to death as I gave my son my Circle T midway through his season after testing all of the putters he putted best with it. I did put an ugly as hell putter cover on it though, lol. It never left my sight on the course and I made him promise to do the same. Take it into the clubhouse with him, etc.

One match I was talking to his coach after his group was done and in he came trotting to the clubhouse. No putter. Left it lying by the putting green 100 yards away. We get there and it was gone. Turned out ok though as one of his teammates was using it but my stomach dropped similar to when I had a car stolen.

Really gutsy move by the criminal.

I just can’t believe how brazen the thief was. I’ve never heard of anyone getting their clubs stolen on the course, let alone their golf cart too

Right, there's cameras everywhere, especially where he charged the purchases, he's caught easily.

That’s not necessarily true. Just because somebody is on camera doesn’t mean anybody that watches the footage is gonna know who he is. People commit crimes that are caught on camera all the time and get away with it.

Damn some people are Dick's.. hope they catch the guy

Back