Examine my Trackman numbers

zbeekner4

Proud 2019 Grandaddy Alum
Reaction score
Handicap
Got on the Trackman today and got some numbers from my current driver - Callaway Mavrik SZ 9 degree. I’m wondering if the Trackman system is a bit off or more likely I’m not optimizing my numbers...what say you?

7DB278E6-8F33-4637-94A9-6120EAE8A850.jpeg

What ball were you using? Was this indoors or outdoors? Was the TM normalized? Sorry for all of the questions. Your launch angles and peak heights fluctuate a lot, however, your spin stays fairly tight, so something may have been off a little.

What ball were you using? Was this indoors or outdoors? Was the TM normalized? Sorry for all of the questions. Your launch angles and peak heights fluctuate a lot, however, your spin stays fairly tight, so something may have been off a little.
Titleist NXT practice balls.

Indoors.

No it was not normalized.

You're consistent for sure. I'd take some of that distance. :)

Titleist NXT practice balls.

Indoors.

No it was not normalized.

TM struggles indoors if the setup isn't bang on. If there weren't any dots on the ball used, then it struggles to pick up spin rates correctly. From the numbers, it looks like your strike is sporadic causing launch angles to fluctuate.

i feel like your ball speed isn’t accurate for that ss and the quality of swing i know you have

This all looks good and more trained eye than mine can break down the nuances, but immediately the ball speed to carry yards don’t add it. I’d expect carry to be in the 260 range for that ball speed based on optimization charts.

You are so good, ZB. Not a TM expert, but seem like carry/total would be a bit higher for your SS. Maybe a little less spin?

I am a long way from an expert on these things but is your launch angle low? Kinda seems like it might be to me. That could explain the lack of distance you are expecting. Spin isn’t high but I think it may be toward the top end of optimal. So if you are maybe a little spinny and not launching the ball in the air you lose distance. Call it a semi educated but probably wrong guesstimate.

TM struggles indoors if the setup isn't bang on. If there weren't any dots on the ball used, then it struggles to pick up spin rates correctly. From the numbers, it looks like your strike is sporadic causing launch angles to fluctuate.
Yea there’s no metal dots on the balls but I also don’t think the spin rates are wildly off...I think to truly test it out, I might need to find a Foresight or other Trackman to compare data. Like a few mention, something doesn’t feel right.

I am a long way from an expert on these things but is your launch angle low? Kinda seems like it might be to me. That could explain the lack of distance you are expecting. Spin isn’t high but I think it may be toward the top end of optimal. So if you are maybe a little spinny and not launching the ball in the air you lose distance. Call it a semi educated but probably wrong guesstimate.
I’m hearing you....is this something that I could change? I already hit pretty well up on the ball. Or is it maybe that the Trackman isn’t reading properly? Idk...

20-40 yards in roll out compared to some of the height compared to the carry seems weird. But I honestly have no idea. Do you normally hit long low ropes like that? And then something that high with even 20 yards roll out? With those 120 heights I wouldn’t think there’d be that roll. But again I have no idea.

Yea there’s no metal dots on the balls but I also don’t think the spin rates are wildly off...I think to truly test it out, I might need to find a Foresight or other Trackman to compare data. Like a few mention, something doesn’t feel right.
Here you go. Don't forget get tack on the software subscription.

Here you go. Don't forget get tack on the software subscription.

i call dibs on the messed up trackman. it’s useless anyway. i’ll even cover shipping costs cuz i’m such a nice guy.

I am no expert in the optimal numbers, but just looking at the launch angle it seems that may be where you are missing some of the distance.

It seems when you get plus 15° launch you get the better carry.

I’m hearing you....is this something that I could change? I already hit pretty well up on the ball. Or is it maybe that the Trackman isn’t reading properly? Idk...
What loft is your driver. You are hitting up. You’ve got SS. The only things I can think of are loft, ball and ball position at setup. But I’m getting a little over my skis.

The thing that stands out for me is your smash factor is fairly low at 1.44 average. My guess is your strike pattern is all over the face. If you could get a more consistent strike it would bring everything else in line.

I was sent the “mystery” balls. Your numbers look good even if a little inconsistent. My kid (swing speed south of 102) outdrove a big boy swinging 122+.

Dude was swinging hard and getting 170+ ball speed.

It didn’t matter as he had no clue on equipment. A friendly wager was made (and won) by yours truly. Two swings, longest total wins it. He swung once with his game ball, the TourB XS. He didn’t have to swing again. This guy out CHS’ing him by 20+.

Get fitted folks. This guy was playing the stick Tensei Blue. Not a bad shaft but not able to take his swing. He was as mean and as violent as I’ve ever been with it.

C033E470-AA5B-48F4-B0D3-4993D7BFD2FB.jpeg
The kids walk off home run (scary is he’s got a LOT more in the tank than this)...

Had big boy popped a low spin runner on his second swing, I’d have unleashed him. He can get to 112 or so CHS and sacrifices accuracy, but no need to. We paid for that Sim and a lesson with that shot.

The thing that stands out for me is your smash factor is fairly low at 1.44 average. My guess is your strike pattern is all over the face. If you could get a more consistent strike it would bring everything else in line.

his smash is low because his ball speed is low relative to his swing speed. i would agree that could mean he’s missing all over the face, but his front to back dispersion is actually pretty tight, and his spin rates aren’t the most consistent but they’re not all over the map. it makes me wonder whether the trackman wasn’t picking up something correctly.

Last edited:
What loft is your driver. You are hitting up. You’ve got SS. The only things I can think of are loft, ball and ball position at setup. But I’m getting a little over my skis.
This crossed my mind as well with loft. I’m in a 9* degree Mav SZ.

his smash is low because his ball speed is low relative to his swing speed. i would agree that could mean he’s missing all over the face, but his front to back dispersion is actually pretty tight, and his spin rates aren’t the most consistent but they’re not all over the map. it makes me wonder whether the trackman wasn’t picking up something correctly.
You could be right on the trackman not picking something up. I just know for me personally when I start to see low smash number it is strike related. So that is the first thing that jumped out.

You could be right on the trackman not picking something up. I just know for me personally when I start to see low smash number it is strike related. So that is the first thing that jumped out.
This could very well be the problem too. I ordered some metal dots to help with spin and then Ill try to get another session in to see if anything changes.

I have been using the speed sticks to boost CH speed so although I’ve seen my speed go up, strikes in the center of the face may have suffered a bit.

I know I sharpied the living hell out of the unmarked mystery ball after a couple crazy numbers on a 2005 tech sim. That one has to have something to pick up, otherwise you’ll hit a duck GW 120 rolling out to 220. I don’t have that shot (quite) in my bag.

Back