Examples of poor leadership

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
After a full career in the AF and having worked several jobs for several bosses after that career ended, I have seen my share of "leaders". I think most of us will agree that we learn more from poor leadership than we do from great leadership. At least for me, I never really realized I was working for a great leader until after the fact. I can look back on the time spent working for great leaders now and appreciate what they did, but I could spot a poor leader in the moment. I learned so much of what NOT to do from poor leaders.

What say you, THP? Whether a story about your time in the military or even a boss in the civilian world, what traits did the poor leaders that you were subjected to display and what did you learn from them to make you a better leader?

I'll start it off. Cliques are bad enough when they're formed amongst peers, but when the group leader endorses the clique, fosters friendships within the clique, and actively holds back members who aren't part of the clique, it's poor leadership and simply unprofessional. Been there several times over the years.

this is the one thing that has driven me bonkers the last 4-5 years since we moved back stateside....too much "do as I say, not as I do" and not training your people according to their job descriptions yet expecting them to know and perform the job...I could really go on and on....and on. some of my supervisors hate me...I do, too.

I had a poor XO when I was stationed in Okinawa. He was an overweight Captain who was trying to preach fitness to us. He was always trying to be extra hardcore and was an overall clown. I never respected him, but I just did what I had to do. When I checked out of the unit and was heading back to the states he commented to me that I was lucky to be leaving at the same rank (E-4 CPL). I was getting out so I let it slide off my back. He was the only really bad leader I can recall in my 4 years in the Corps.

I had a poor XO when I was stationed in Okinawa. He was an overweight Captain who was trying to preach fitness to us. He was always trying to be extra hardcore and was an overall clown. I never respected him, but I just did what I had to do. When I checked out of the unit and was heading back to the states he commented to me that I was lucky to be leaving at the same rank (E-4 CPL). I was getting out so I let it slide off my back. He was the only really bad leader I can recall in my 4 years in the Corps.

overweight Os/SNCOs seemed to overcompensate for their most glaring deficiencies...

overweight Os/SNCOs seemed to overcompensate for their most glaring deficiencies...
The funny thing is that our CO was an actual PT maniac and would take us on some punishing runs. I always got extra motivation seeing the fat Cpt. Falling out and getting picked up by the follow vehicle. He always had a screaming high & tight, too. That always rubbed me the wrong way. He was trying way too hard and he was super soft.

The funny thing is that our CO was an actual PT maniac and would take us on some punishing runs. I always got extra motivation seeing the fat Cpt. Falling out and getting picked up by the follow vehicle. He always had a screaming high & tight, too. That always rubbed me the wrong way. He was trying way too hard and he was super soft.

please don't tell me you were on Futenma...this story hits too close to home 😑:LOL:

I'll start it off. Cliques are bad enough when they're formed amongst peers, but when the group leader endorses the clique, fosters friendships within the clique, and actively holds back members who aren't part of the clique, it's poor leadership and simply unprofessional. Been there several times over the years.

Promoting from within a clique perpetuates consistently ineffective "leadership". Sadly, lots of organizations suffer this fate.

please don't tell me you were on Futenma...this story hits too close to home 😑:LOL:
No, I was at Camp Courtney with The III MEF. My best friend was at Futenma and I would go over there all the time. This was 1992-3. I loved Okinawa but wouldn’t want to live there. Another good friend of mine got stuck in Schwab...I never went there on free time, just on training ops.

No, I was at Camp Courtney with The III MEF. My best friend was at Futenma and I would go over there all the time. This was 1992-3. I loved Okinawa but wouldn’t want to live there. Another good friend of mine got stuck in Schwab...I never went there on free time, just on training ops.

phew...I was in 29 Palms then...Schwab is one of the best kept secrets, location wise...i always tried to go up there for training...if they said it was supposed to be at Hansen, i'd ask about schwab...the social scene was scarce but that part of the island is/was perfect for me.

My 4 year military career was a combo of taking orders, and then, as I moved up in rank, giving basically the same orders I previously had recieved.

Now in my civilian, 30 year career, I was a construction superintendent. I was good enough at it, that I was never out of work.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever recieved on leadership, was that good leaders, were also good instructors to the workers they supervised. That, and they had the patience to deal with people, and problems correctly. These were major building blocks for gaining respect from coworkers.

Those leaders who I had to deal with, who I thought did poor jobs, were always arrogant, and were basically pompous butt holes. They supervised by threats, and innuendos. Their way, or the highway scenario. They were lacking in self confidence, which also meant little or no respect from their coworkers. This is trait I still see in my every day life, since my retirement.

People that don't lead by example. People that expect you to do something they either haven't or wouldn't do themselves.
People that have a short temper. People that jump to conclusions and make a decision before gathering the pertinent info.
People that expect everyone to be just like them.
People that cant understand that workers are different. What motivates one might not work on another.
People that think they are better than everyone else.

boss-vs-leader-800x800.png

Maybe my favorite story and it is golf related too...Our CEO had a father-in-law who was a member at Cypress Point...I had heard he would take our best clients there...So I called him up and asked. Well I had to hold the phone a foot from my ear as F this and F that was blurted out numerous times....Call ended. A week later I get a call from this CEO and he asks me for the phone number of this big client...He was our firms biggest client. But I was in a local office not in home office. Anyway about 2 months later I visit this big client and he thanks me repeatedly...I am unaware of what he speaks but play along. He then says it was a bit odd though...And I say how. He says well they played Cypress Point and our CEO was there with his father-in-law but the 4th was a bit strange...It was the CEO of one of our largest competitors...He took our competitor instead of me the client relationship manager for our biggest client.

Since I'm still in, I won't share any stories at this time.

There have been some very frustrating times and I take it as a learning opportunity of things not to do in the future.

People that have a short temper. People that jump to conclusions and make a decision before gathering the pertinent info.

People that think they are better than everyone else.

Oh, oh, oh.... THIS! So much, this.

How about the one that says, "You did this, you must be punished!", but refuses to talk like an adult and discuss their perceived problem? Gotta love those.

Since I'm still in, I won't share any stories at this time.

There have been some very frustrating times and I take it as a learning opportunity of things not to do in the future.

Understood. Without names, it'd be hard to hold anything against you. Heck, I'm of the feeling that if there are no names and they are offended, then they're most definitely guilty.

Maybe my favorite story and it is golf related too...Our CEO had a father-in-law who was a member at Cypress Point...I had heard he would take our best clients there...So I called him up and asked. Well I had to hold the phone a foot from my ear as F this and F that was blurted out numerous times....Call ended. A week later I get a call from this CEO and he asks me for the phone number of this big client...He was our firms biggest client. But I was in a local office not in home office. Anyway about 2 months later I visit this big client and he thanks me repeatedly...I am unaware of what he speaks but play along. He then says it was a bit odd though...And I say how. He says well they played Cypress Point and our CEO was there with his father-in-law but the 4th was a bit strange...It was the CEO of one of our largest competitors...He took our competitor instead of me the client relationship manager for our biggest client.

Your company CEO invited the CEO of your company's largest competitor ?

I've had good leaders and bad leaders.
Bad one example: He's a new captain in the USAF... he's introduced to half the team but not me and my 2 guys for whatever reason... he doesn't take the time to learn what we do or even who we are. He tells all of us in a group meeting "I've got an open door policy." He then proceeds to keep his door closed when he's in the office.

6 months later he's reassigned to the wing thinking it's a promotion for him. We called in favors to get rid of his ignorant butt...

On his last day he walks around and shakes everyone's hand "great working with you!"

My guy unloaded on him "who the hell are you? You never got to know this team. You always kept your door closed. Good riddance!"

I've had good leaders and bad leaders.
Bad one example: He's a new captain in the USAF... he's introduced to half the team but not me and my 2 guys for whatever reason... he doesn't take the time to learn what we do or even who we are. He tells all of us in a group meeting "I've got an open door policy." He then proceeds to keep his door closed when he's in the office.

6 months later he's reassigned to the wing thinking it's a promotion for him. We called in favors to get rid of his ignorant butt...

On his last day he walks around and shakes everyone's hand "great working with you!"

My guy unloaded on him "who the hell are you? You never got to know this team. You always kept your door closed. Good riddance!"

They're everywhere. I've seen similar things happen far too many times.

Bad leader: Indecisive. Unwilling to tackle a problem head on.

Good leader: Addresses issues head on. Communicates.

Your company CEO invited the CEO of your company's largest competitor ?
Yes, instead of taking me the point person for the client...And our client had never met the other CEO.....Can't make this stuff up....Years later...I was on a golf trip with the client and he informed me because of him meeting that other CEO...they now did more business with them vs the company I was with...I was no longer working had retired.

Aww man. Talk about awkward.:eek:

Blatant favoritism. It’s a problem we have at work currently. Problem is everyone else see’s it and moral is not good. Lack of communication between management. One will say one thing and the other the opposite. Having been in management for 20 plus years I just shake my head.

I’m in the automotive industry and my manager I think might be just checked out as he is retiring in a year and a half. But one of my biggest things with him is he’ll set a policy for say our loaner cars or whatever the situation is. A client comes in and things don’t go their way to a policy. If he gets involved, he folds like a wet paper bag, literally has no backbone at all. Makes me look like the jerk because I say one thing and now he doesn’t have my back. The other thing with him and the “assistant” manager, when we have the service drive full of cars that we have written up and need parked and other clients still waiting to be written up. Him and the assistant are just shooting the s*** not helping out by parking cars or moving them when needed, while us advisors are helping out the clients.

Back