Exercise & Health

I just ordered a 5 lb container of Nature's Best Whey Protein Chocolate from bodybuilding.com and it cost me $44.97 which included shipping. They were selling the same stuff at my gym for $55.00 bucks.

Glad you had some luck!

I have started a new workout program this past week. I have started many programs the past few years. The longest I have been able to stick with one is 4 months. I would see great results, but then either I got hurt, sick, or had a schedule change that got me out of my routine.

I am really hoping to stick with this one. I enjoy it so much (one I have started) and do not want to give it up this time. Since I got my very first job this year as a Physical Education teacher, I am going to be fairly active at work each day which is amazing! I just graduated from the B.Ed program and landed my dream job right away! I am so excited! The community I am going to has no fitness facilities so I have to ship weights and such up, but I am determined to do it.

I am doing a 3 on 1 off program. The first 2 days are dumbbell circuits and the last is a bodyweight one. Right now, golf is my main source of cardio, but that will change once I get to the golf-less community. I am going to be either using this thread or starting one of my own to update my progress and have you all keep me honest and on track. Looking forward to much support!

I am doing a 3 on 1 off program. The first 2 days are dumbbell circuits and the last is a bodyweight one. Right now, golf is my main source of cardio, but that will change once I get to the golf-less community. I am going to be either using this thread or starting one of my own to update my progress and have you all keep me honest and on track. Looking forward to much support!

I am surprised you're on a 4 day circuit.. Just my opinion, but I've always found that a 7 day circuit is FAR easier to keep rolling with..

I like the idea of "Hey it's Tuesday, which means it's back and shoulders" or whatever.

I am surprised you're on a 4 day circuit.. Just my opinion, but I've always found that a 7 day circuit is FAR easier to keep rolling with..

I like the idea of "Hey it's Tuesday, which means it's back and shoulders" or whatever.

I never isolate body parts for specific days when doing a program. I do total body every time. It is actually 5-6 days a week with cardio on the "off days". Cardio right now is basically just golf, unless it is raining then it is actually some cardio.

Here is what I do.
Day 1 - Abs, biceps, quads, chest (fly), upper back, shoulder (press)
Day 2 - Abs, triceps, calves, chest (press), lower back, shoulder (raise)
Day 3 - Total body using bodyweight exercises like chinups, pullups, pushups, inverted rows, prisoner squats, split squats, dips, and such.

We had a 5 - 10 -15 thread last year that I believe motivated several people to work on some health and weight loss issues. Many of you set goals and make huge gains in your health and weight loss. I would like to start a new thread for golfers to motivate each other with positive and encouraging habits you use to change your lifestyle. This is not about just losing weight but modifying your personal attitude about your body, mind, and personal fitness. Good luck in creating a new you with a stronger, happier, and mentally tough golfer.

What foods make you feel stronger? What stretches help your flexibility? How do motivate yourself to workout at home or the gym three to four days per week? This is not a bragging thread but an encouraging thread to motivate your fellow THP'ers to get involved and become a stronger and healthier person.

My goal for this week is less salt intake, less caffeine, and four days of gym workouts. How about you?

This is a Great thread.. Awesome idea Ole Gray. Loving the comments from people chiming in..

Ok, you have made a good step in the right direction by taking responsibility for yourself. Where you say you lost motivation, you must provide your own motivation. Then you get specific about the problems with snacks and portions.

It is not easy, it doesn't get easier as you go, it will never be EASY. But it will be worthwhile for you to take charge and DO something for yourself. It is such a great feeling set tough goals for yourself and then to achieve those goals. The goals will be your motivation, the feeling of accomplishment will be your reward, not to mention a healthier, more pain free life. Make that move, the sooner the better, I and, I suspect, a lot of others will be pulling for you.

Those goals need to be tough and measurable. Some folks write them on a card and stick it on their mirror or some place that they will be seen every morning. If you can measure it, you can monitor progress. For me, it was body weight, I had a desired weight and dates to reach the weights, then checked my weight every day. I suppose pant size would be a goal but it would be more difficult to get positive feedback every day. So Jacob, what are you going to DO? Pulling for you...

OK..you all have inspired me to get more active!

I guess you can't complain when you have a job that gives 4 hours every morning to work out and sleep on the job....oh and work 8 days a month! :D

It has been touched on some, but everyone forgets water. Water, water and more water. Especially during the summer. Once you are out golfing and NEED water, you are already dehydrated. Drink lots before you go out and sip water throughout the round. It is extremely difficult to have too much water. I read somewhere that you should drink an ounce of water for every two pounds of body weight in a normal day. (And cold water is better because you burn calories - - - albeit not many at all - - - from your body warming it up!)

Not a pleasant thing to say, but check your urine color. If it's clear or slightly yellow, you are hydrated. If it's darker, you need more water.

It has been touched on some, but everyone forgets water. Water, water and more water. Especially during the summer. Once you are out golfing and NEED water, you are already dehydrated. Drink lots before you go out and sip water throughout the round. It is extremely difficult to have too much water. I read somewhere that you should drink an ounce of water for every two pounds of body weight in a normal day. (And cold water is better because you burn calories - - - albeit not many at all - - - from your body warming it up!)

Not a pleasant thing to say, but check your urine color. If it's clear or slightly yellow, you are hydrated.If it's darker, you need more water.

4 ounces of water every 15-20 minutes.

Not a pleasant thing to say, but check your urine color. If it's clear or slightly yellow, you are hydrated. If it's darker, you need more water.

Glad you mentioned this. Drinking just 48oz of COLD water a day (6 cups), you raise your resting metabolism from warming it, burning about 50 calories daily. Do this every day for a year and the numbers are baffling! You can shed 5 pounds in a year by simply drinking 48oz of cold water a day. Drink up!

Okay, you've all inspired me. I'm back on a healthier diet and shooting for 20lbs off by the end of October. This should be just in time for Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas! (Yeesh...) But bringing it back to golf, my plan includes walking every round I can. Two rounds and that's almost one pound right there!

Good luck to everyone and hang in there!

Good job guys and that water thing is something that is sooooooo important and we take it for granted. I take six bottles of water on the golf course with me and could easily drink 12 on a hot day. It cleans the toxins out of your system and keeps you hydrated. Nature don't make no junk huh! Ok let's keep sucking that water down like a Veggie garden on a hot July day!

It's amazing how much better you feel after drinking large amounts of water. I have slowly started to increase more and more water in my diet. I would love to try to go on a 85 percent water intake and drop diet coke down more. I love the sweet taste of a cold coke but I bet if a person stayed on pure water more, the health benefits would stand out.

It's amazing how much better you feel after drinking large amounts of water. I have slowly started to increase more and more water in my diet. I would love to try to go on a 85 percent water intake and drop diet coke down more. I love the sweet taste of a cold coke but I bet if a person stayed on pure water more, the health benefits would stand out.

I used to drink quite a bit of pop myself. I made a conscious effort to give up the stuff and now drink maybe a can a month, if that. When I do drink it I actually find it difficult to drink a full 250ml can. It is crazy! I just never want it. Almost 2 years ago I stopped drinking alcohol all together just to be better to my body. The university experience had me gain about 20-25 pounds of pure fat and I needed to get outta that funk. My drink of choice was rum and Coke so cutting those two things out had made a huge difference.

Now my liquid intake is literally milk, protein shakes, water, and Gatorade.

I used to drink quite a bit of pop myself. I made a conscious effort to give up the stuff and now drink maybe a can a month, if that. When I do drink it I actually find it difficult to drink a full 250ml can. It is crazy! I just never want it. Almost 2 years ago I stopped drinking alcohol all together just to be better to my body. The university experience had me gain about 20-25 pounds of pure fat and I needed to get outta that funk. My drink of choice was rum and Coke so cutting those two things out had made a huge difference.

Now my liquid intake is literally milk, protein shakes, water, and Gatorade.

Good for you 23lw :clapp:. You never know what others may pick up from your wisdom and it might be the kick in the pants they need to improve their health.

My Fitness Journey

My Fitness Journey

I have very recently set a goal for myself to get in top physical condition. I really feel like I have slacked in this area in the last few years. I was active growing up and played hockey in the winters and baseball in the summer. I decided going into grade 10 to dedicate myself to hockey and got a personal trainer in order to make my high school hockey team. At the end of the summer I was in the best shape of my life. I was a young grade 10 and in better shape than 99% of my school. I made the team and sailed from there.

I have worked out on and off over the last 6 years. The most I have kept it up is 4 months. I just cannot seem to keep it going. I was doing really well this past winter, working out for 3 months and going strong. That was until I pulled a muscle in my lower back doing deadlifts. It would be a month until I was back to normal. All other times I started a program I would be doing well then something would happen (schedule change, move, vacation etc) to throw me off my routine and that was it with the exercise program.

I am starting my career in 6 short weeks as a physical education teacher. I feel a responsibility to practice what I preach and be in top physical condition as a role model for my students. I will be going to Oxford House, Manitoba, which is an isolated fly-in only community with limited resources. These limited resources mean no fitness center or equipment. Luckily I have a great home gym and the board is willing to ship 1,000lbs to the community for me. I will be taking about 200-250 pounds worth of equipment. I am going to give myself every opportunity to be the best I can be. I will be taking:
140lbs in plates (8x2.5lbs, 8x5lbs, 8x10lbs)
4 dumbbell handles w/collars
Swiss Ball
3 Medicine Balls (4lbs, 8lbs, 15lbs)
Resistance Bands (5lbs, 10lbs, 15lbs, 20lbs)
Chinup/Pullup Bar
Bench
Mat

Luckily, the house they are giving my girlfriend and I is a 2 bedroom and we are going to make the second bedroom a fitness room. I will be doing a total body circuit consisting primarily of dumbbell and body-weight exercises. I have designed a 4-day plan with 2 days of weights, 1 day of bodyweight, and 1 day of cardio, with cardio added whenever I feel like it. I am going to be very active in my job since I am a phys ed teacher so that is also a huge plus. I am also going to try to work some yoga in as well at points and will be stretching for at least 15-30 minutes everyday.

My eating plan is 3 meals and 3 snacks/day. Breakfast will contain protein and carbs. Lunch will be higher protein and low carbs. Supper will be a balance of protein and carbs. The three snacks will all be high in protein. And of course, I will be aiming to drink 64oz of cold water daily.

My supplement plan consists of protein, creatine, glutamine, and a multi-vitamin.
Protein shakes will be consumed at breakfast, post workout, and pre-bed.
Creatine will be cycled monthly without a loading phase (too hard on my stomach), at a dose of 5g pre workout, and 5g post. Will be taking it with Gatorade.
Glutamine (5g) taken with pre-bed protein shake
Multi-Vitamin every morning.

I am determined to keep with it this time and do not want to let any excuse derail my progress. I will be back later in the week with some starting measurements.

Lastly, I am hoping this improves my golf game. I am going to be in Toronto and my hotel is very close to Golf Town. I am going to hit up the launch monitor and get some numbers so I can compare to the beginning of next season to see if the program has increased by SS, ball speed, distance, etc.

Let the journey begin!

Last edited:
Good luck in this journey

Good luck. I got tired just reading all that work.

Seriously though, ever considered kettlebells?

The swiss ball is such a good thing to bring. I work out with that at least 2-3 times a week and my core has gotten stronger and my golf game thanks me for it.

Good luck. I got tired just reading all that work.

Seriously though, ever considered kettlebells?

I have considered them, but never committed to them. This may be a great time to get some since I have no machines and it would be something to shake up my routine. Any suggestions on weight? I was thinking along the lines of a 24kg. Also, aside from swings, cleans, presses and squats, any other great KB exercises? Thanks for the suggestion!

sounds like an awesome journey. keep us up to date with your progress

Good luck. Sounds like you have a solid plan.

I have considered them, but never committed to them. This may be a great time to get some since I have no machines and it would be something to shake up my routine. Any suggestions on weight? I was thinking along the lines of a 24kg. Also, aside from swings, cleans, presses and squats, any other great KB exercises? Thanks for the suggestion!

I started with the 16kg with the intentions of moving to 24kg after finishing the ladders from Enter the Kettlebell and being able to complete the Secret Service Snatch Test (200 in 10 minutes).

Turkish Get-Ups and snatches are must dos. I really love how they build strength, work my core, yet really give me a cardio work out as well.

Great stuff and I can feel your determination through your words. Your positive attitude will help you reach your goals and I look forward to following your journey. You can do it!

Back