Exercise & Health

Ole Gray

Mayor of the Woodshed
Reaction score
Handicap
Average
We had a 5 - 10 -15 thread last year that I believe motivated several people to work on some health and weight loss issues. Many of you set goals and make huge gains in your health and weight loss. I would like to start a new thread for golfers to motivate each other with positive and encouraging habits you use to change your lifestyle. This is not about just losing weight but modifying your personal attitude about your body, mind, and personal fitness. Good luck in creating a new you with a stronger, happier, and mentally tough golfer.

What foods make you feel stronger? What stretches help your flexibility? How do motivate yourself to workout at home or the gym three to four days per week? This is not a bragging thread but an encouraging thread to motivate your fellow THP'ers to get involved and become a stronger and healthier person.

My goal for this week is less salt intake, less caffeine, and four days of gym workouts. How about you?

My goal for this week is less salt intake, less caffeine, and four days of gym workouts. How about you?

I commend you OG. That is great.
My goal this week is to quit being a slacker and pick up that extra salt and caffeine that you are getting rid of.

I kid of course. Good luck.

The less caffeine is interesting, what is your caffeine intake now? I drink one or two cups of coffee a day.. Should I also be cutting down?

My son is after to me to keep stretching every day. He told me about the foam roller and it is wonderful. My back is killing me again this week. Time to listen to him and get that thing back out. I commit to stretching tonight and at least 3 times a week this week.

The less caffeine is interesting, what is your caffeine intake now? I drink one or two cups of coffee a day.. Should I also be cutting down?

I don't know ripper. I bet RxGus could give you a good answer however for me, anything over a cup makes me more anxious :blob: than I prefer. I had rather be calm and cool on the first tee :cool:.

Great thread OG. I've kinda slacked off on the health and fitness stuff recently. Need to get it together again with the help of this thread!

Just a few mins exercise every day I've found can make you feel a whole lot better about yourself. It's that wide awake and alert feeling that is so easily forgotten when you slack off.

Here is what I do as of now:

I eat very healthy - mostly raw foods. Only meat I eat is chicken (and that is sparingly as in once every 2 weeks).
I drink water throughout the day.
I limit myself to one cup of coffee in the morning.
I do a weight session Monday-Friday that lasts about 30 minutes.
My cardio during this time of year is walking the golf course. In the winter, I run twice per week.

Personally, I do not find this hard to do because I am VERY hard on myself and have regrets if I do not feel/look the way that I want. I have that mentality that it must be done..so do it, probably what 5 years in the Marine Corps did to me. :D

Well we eat only Organic meats and vegetables at home, plus we have our own organic garden with fruits and veggies all summer, plus I've quit smoking. My big "vices" right now I suppose are Chocolate, and Coffee. I drink a lot of coffee, maybe 5-6 Cups a day, which I know is not good, but with quitting smoking I'm not about to give that up at the same time or you will hear of a murder spree in Victoria. I drink it black though, so no sugar or cream in that but still, the next plan is to drink a lot less of that sweet elixer of the gods.

Since the car accident in Dec. I lost some of the mobility in my lower back, which in turn affected my swing. I found these hip excersizes and they have really helped me regain some of that mobility. I do these every day

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/tourlife/instruction/03/28/golf-fitness/index.html

Thanks for the link Ron. I'll be doing that exercise as soon as I get home from work! My pain is always in my lower right back/hip area and the roller works beautifully on getting me feeling better. I just need to stay disciplined and quit being lazy when I'm feeling better because it always come back when I stop exercising. I've done that exact exercise many times and it really works.

This is a great thread. Over the past year I have changed my life dramatically. I have lost 70lbs (and counting) and have just changed not only my diet, but my lifestlye as well as my attitude. As Canadan can attest to, I was a pretty angry guy and through the help of my personal trainer and my wonderful wife, I am happier now than I have ever been. Life is good. I am finally playing golf as much as a I want. I workout with the personal trainer 3-4 times a week. Wake up and ride the exercise bike every morning during the week at 5:45 am. And on nights I don't work out I either am at the range or walking a golf course.

Well we eat only Organic meats and vegetables at home, plus we have our own organic garden with fruits and veggies all summer, plus I've quit smoking. My big "vices" right now I suppose are Chocolate, and Coffee. I drink a lot of coffee, maybe 5-6 Cups a day, which I know is not good, but with quitting smoking I'm not about to give that up at the same time or you will hear of a murder spree in Victoria. I drink it black though, so no sugar or cream in that but still, the next plan is to drink a lot less of that sweet elixer of the gods.
I know I've mentioned this before, but great job on the quitting smoking dude. I've never been a smoker but I've been around people who smoke my whole life and I see how hard it is to quit.

I've been trying to get out for runs and stay as active as I can without eating like crap. It's hard because we're pretty busy with the kids and everything else so we don't typically have too much time to prepare more healthy choices for dinner. That is an excuse I've used for years and need to break out of that funk. My biggest concerns are my health stats, BP, Cholesterol, all that stuff because every male in my family was pretty well dead and gone by mid 40s and I refuse to let that happen. I check often and so far things look pretty good on that front.

I like having an active thread on this that shows up often on the site I frequent most, it serves as a nice little reminder for me!

Any thoughts on red meat? I have heard maybe it should avoided in large quantities but I am not clear on how much is a good amount, once a week perhaps?

butt clenches! :p

Actually having a strong and stable lower body helps my swing with pushing or shifting my weight and also core exercises. I would say that the one season I was doing yoga. I noticed my distance was much further in my golf game and softball game.

I've personally been trying to get back into jogging. It's been just over a year since my ACL was replaced and I'd like shedding some weight by running again.

Any thoughts on red meat? I have heard maybe it should avoided in large quantities but I am not clear on how much is a good amount, once a week perhaps?

I stay away from it. It is VERY hard for your body to digest and while it has a lot of protein, it also has quite a bit of fat and calories. Chicken is a much better option all the way around IMO.

Drinking my protein shake right now as a matter of fact - if anyone needs a good recipe, let me know - I love this one!

I play in three different hockey leagues and play golf usually around 4-5 days a week. I have a gym membership that gets MUCH better use when it's white outside.

I do want to say something for those looking to eat better, and I give my dad crap about this all the time. It's not JUST about eating better. Eating better will certainly make you more healthy, but exercise is SO key to a healthier lifestyle and a healthier body. He always goes on these ridiculous eating kicks where he 'eats healthy' or whatever, but he doesn't do anything to take off what he's put on over the years.. Bad example, but I wanted to share anyways..

For me, I need to go back to eating almonds instead of chips and relax on the bud lights.. I'd probably hit the gym more but I feel like I would be spreading myself too thin.

butt clenches! :p

Actually having a strong and stable lower body helps my swing with pushing or shifting my weight and also core exercises. I would say that the one season I was doing yoga. I noticed my distance was much further in my golf game and softball game.

I've personally been trying to get back into jogging. It's been just over a year since my ACL was replaced and I'd like shedding some weight by running again.

I do light weights off and on (Time management! That's what I need to work on! :smile:) and having a strong core definitely helps. You'd think I'd stick with it when it's so good for my game...

But good for you for the jogging! I never jogged until about 8 years ago. Now I can't stop! I don't know if you walk the course, but I'm sure it's the jogging that helps keep me from getting too tired out there.

Thanks for the link Ron. I'll be doing that exercise as soon as I get home from work! My pain is always in my lower right back/hip area and the roller works beautifully on getting me feeling better. I just need to stay disciplined and quit being lazy when I'm feeling better because it always come back when I stop exercising. I've done that exact exercise many times and it really works.

Mine is my lower back and left hip, and it really has helped alot

I do light weights off and on (Time management! That's what I need to work on! :smile:) and having a strong core definitely helps. You'd think I'd stick with it when it's so good for my game...

But good for you for the jogging! I never jogged until about 8 years ago. Now I can't stop! I don't know if you walk the course, but I'm sure it's the jogging that helps keep me from getting too tired out there.

Thanks...I used to jog (I wouldn't call what I did runnning :p) marathons and stuff for fun but it's hard to keep motivated...At my best I was about 160lbs being 5'6...right now I'm about 190-200.

OH that's a big key also here, Staying Motivated! It helps to have support from friends and family but you especially need a goal. Gotta know where you want to go/get to so you can plan out the directions.

I have been running, but my distance is increasing now (starting last wed.) to 2.3 miles. Everyday, that feels good and people have said they thought I looked thinner. My goal is to drink less sugary drinks (Gatorade excluded for golf) and to run ATLEAST 5/7 days a week.

I stay away from it. It is VERY hard for your body to digest and while it has a lot of protein, it also has quite a bit of fat and calories. Chicken is a much better option all the way around IMO.

Drinking my protein shake right now as a matter of fact - if anyone needs a good recipe, let me know - I love this one!

I have been buying some protein shakes at the grocery store but it get's expensive. What's your secret?

I have been running, but my distance is increasing now (starting last wed.) to 2.3 miles. Everyday, that feels good and people have said they thought I looked thinner. My goal is to drink less sugary drinks (Gatorade excluded for golf) and to run ATLEAST 5/7 days a week.

This may sound weird but I've switched from gatorade to Pedialyte, has all the elctrolytes and other stuff that gatorade has but without the sugar.

I have been buying some protein shakes at the grocery store but it get's expensive. What's your secret?

I buy the chocolate flavored protein powder made by muscle milk (100% whey) at Costco.

Put in a blender, mix, pour, and enjoy:

1 cup milk (soy in my case)
4 ice cubes
4 frozen strawberries (buy in bulk at costco)
2 scoops protein powder (52 grams of protein)
1 banana
1 spoonful of peanut butter (optional)

I buy the chocolate flavored protein powder made by muscle milk (100% whey) at Costco.

Put in a blender, mix, pour, and enjoy:

1 cup milk (soy in my case)
4 ice cubes
4 frozen strawberries (buy in bulk at costco)
2 scoops protein powder (52 grams of protein)
1 banana
1 spoonful of peanut butter (optional)

Thanks buddy and I will add this to my menu!

Back