experience with taking lessons indoors?

BuckeyeMark

Reaction score
Handicap
I'm thinking of taking signing up for lessons at my local PGA Superstore. That's going to be an all indoor deal. They have practice bays and lesson bays with electronics etc. But I'm wondering if that's going to be the same as being outdoors and hitting "for real." Ideas on that? I'm a hh so we're not talking about finesse here. I need some basic fundamentals to try and break 100.

Thoughts?

I'm doing it right now and have been since last fall. With the launch monitor technology that is in place today, you can figure out what the ball is doing even when you are hitting into a net. You won't get the feeling of hitting on real grass, but you'll have a perfect lie every time on the indoor mats. I think that indoor lesson are much better for the full swing, I can't see them having as much of an impact on the short game where some shots are more feel-based than with the long game.

I'm doing it right now and have been since last fall. With the launch monitor technology that is in place today, you can figure out what the ball is doing even when you are hitting into a net. You won't get the feeling of hitting on real grass, but you'll have a perfect lie every time on the indoor mats. I think that indoor lesson are much better for the full swing, I can't see them having as much of an impact on the short game where some shots are more feel-based than with the long game.

that's helpful and worrisome. I need a lot of work on my chipping game...

that's helpful and worrisome. I need a lot of work on my chipping game...
The key is to take what you learn and go outside in between lessons. The technology today is amazing and, especially when it's the fundamentals you need, indoor can be amazingly helpful IMO.

I think it depends on you personally. I've done both. The outdoor lessons are the way to go for me. I find it easier to learn the feelings I'm striving for when I see my true ball flight. I do indoor lessons in the winter with the same pro but I always seem to make greater progress outdoors. IMHO, the biggest factor will be your pro. Mine tends to focus on improving one area at a time and will help me the most. If the pro you get overloads you, it will take the fun out for you and hinder your progress.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm thinking of taking signing up for lessons at my local PGA Superstore. That's going to be an all indoor deal. They have practice bays and lesson bays with electronics etc. But I'm wondering if that's going to be the same as being outdoors and hitting "for real." Ideas on that? I'm a hh so we're not talking about finesse here. I need some basic fundamentals to try and break 100.

Thoughts?
I currently do most of my work indoors on a trackman man. It has been extremely positive for me.

If you can find someone with trackman in your area that understands the numbers. Indoor lessons can be extremely valuable. As you stated short game lessons can be difficult indoors. In that regards it is nice to have the ability to get outside.

My suggestion would be to try the lesson and if you find value continue. If not look elsewhere. This most important thing is to find an instructor that you relate with and can deliver the message in a way you can uderstand. I had the same instructor for several years. When he left the area I went thru at least 5 instructors before finding my current instructor. Take your time and find the right instructor for you and you will be better off in the long run

My suggestion would be to try the lesson and if you find value continue. If not look elsewhere. This most important thing is to find an instructor that you relate with and can deliver the message in a way you can uderstand. I had the same instructor for several years. When he left the area I went thru at least 5 instructors before finding my current instructor. Take your time and find the right instructor for you and you will be better off in the long run

What the Milk Man said. He nailed it perfectly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't done much indoors but today I went and rented a sim for an hour just to get some swings in (I am in Manhattan this week and will play Ferry's Point Wednesday).

It was good to swing a club but, for me, indoors just doesn't do much. The distance is a little abstract for me and I don't think I swing with as much purpose/authority as I do outside. Ball flight, for me, is critical. I played a round and "scored" well but my distances were all short (and I know them pretty well from Game Golf).

I do both indoor and outdoor.
The benefit is in the instructor and not solely in the location. I like trackman indoors, but I like outdoor feedback as to shot results (which I do not believe is quite the same indoors).

I have taken indoor lessons and have been able to get things figured out. Having video, launch monitor data and seein the ball flight on there allowed my instructor and I to work on different things.

its nice to take lessons outdoors but I haven't had any issues with full swing. I wouldn't want to take a short game lesson that way and prefer to get lessons on shirt game in a short game area.

I'm doing lessons at GolfTEC.

It's worth it. When you're bad enough that you're trying to break 100, you've got fundamental swing issues that need to be worked out. It doesn't matter if you're hitting off mats or grass.

My GolfTEC coach is great, and they have a deal where you can do outdoor lessons if you want also, they charge you for a full hour if you're doing outdoor. I've used some of those to learn to hit out of sand, do course management, etc. but any time I'm getting into technical stuff with my swing, I want to be on a launch monitor and cameras. It's the right setup IMO to see what you're doing wrong and to correct it.

Thoughts?

I think it's entirely up to the individual. I dislike GolfTec a lot, and usually spend more time trying to max out the sims at golf stores than I do taking a typical swing. Trying to translate that into a lesson, combined with the lack of turf interaction --- It's just not really something that would work well for me.

But then again, I don't take a ton of lessons. When I do, I go all out.

Also, I take the indoor lessons for anything from 60 yds and out. The pro teaching at the indoor facility is great for this. I've learned a lot.

Unfortunately I also need a lot of work on my short game around the green. I have a different coach for that. It's fine. It works out.

I took lessons indoors and worked on my swing with some Panda tips indoors all winter and was in a much better spot once spring came than I had been in the fall. If the reps are quality, indoors can be useful.

I am also doing this right now. It is good to see my swing and numbers on the monitor but difficult to know how the shots are going. As others said, I am backing the lessons up with range time.

Back