Eye Opening Experience.....Driver Fitting

revrat

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently bought myself a new driver and ordered online because I have this nasty habit of "knowing all I need to" about things I actually have no clue about. My new driver seemed ok initially, but I never really fell in love with the sound and feel, and it was a bit erratic in play, so I started to tinker....which led me to screw myself and my swing right into the ground. Frustrated and confused, and full of doubt, I decided on a whim to splurge on a real driver fitting and get myself set up with the right driver and shaft. I found a place somewhat close by that specializes in such things. I made an appointment, and walked into this magical place with hundreds of shafts and dozens of driver heads to try. There was also a guy to put these things together special for you. A golf gear match-maker, so to speak

The fitter had me hit some balls with my current evil driver, and I was shocked with what my monitor numbers were. My "low launch/low spin" driver and shaft combo was giving about 4k spin, and 140 feet of height. Only about 230 carry on a good hit, which was very infrequent. Average smash factor was about 1.37. Dispersion was awful, but I knew that already from several rounds of trying to figure that driver out. It was just poor all the way around.

I kind of had in mind that I wanted to try the Mizuno ST190, so that was the first head the guy brought out. He immediately put me onto a heavier shaft, and a shorter one at the same time after looking at my swing. I went through several shafts to include Ventus, whatever the new Diamana version is, Fuji Pro something, some flavor of Accra TZ, a HZRDUS Smoke Green, and a couple of others that I don't recall. The Hzrdus Smoke Green felt the best, cut my spin in half, got the height down below 100', and brought dispersion down to a place I've never experienced. Most decently struck shots were carrying 260ish, and rolling out to 280ish. I tried several other heads and shafts that never beat those two out. Titleist TS4 was close, but not quite there. I never would have thought to try a 70g shaft, especially one that beefy, or to play a shorter shaft. At 44" I lost a couple MPH of swing speed, which damaged my fragile ego a bit, but definitely was more stable and over probably 40 swings averaged a 1.47 smash, with a few a good bit higher, which repaired the damaged ego. The fitter told me that was as good as I was going to see, and I tried and tried and tried to out-think him, and find some more performance. He kept giving me new combinations to try, and after about a hundred balls, and two hours, I had to admit that he had wrung out all that a club could do in my hands.

Capture.JPG

That was one last swing for the road as my wallet was becoming significantly lighter...... A bit better than most, but not by a lot. Hopefully that maintains on the course when my shiny new friend arrives in a few days. I'm looking forward to playing more second shots from the short grass.

So the takeaway for me was......some things are better left to pros. I thought club fitting could be helpful, but was more geared toward players much better than I. Nope. That s**t is legit! I'll be back when it comes time for new irons for sure.

TL;DR......I bought a new driver. Get fit for your clubs. It's good. I'm giddy.

Those are huge gains! Gotta be happy with that!

I switched into a 44” driver this year too and for me, it’s all about strike consistency.

driver fittings are definitely eye openers! And I'm a huge advocate on the shorter length driver. Of course everyone is different and fitting will give people a better answer, but most us amateurs don't have a good enough swing already to swing a 45.5 inch + driver.... And I totally feel your pain on the shorter length losing club head speed lol. But as you see ball speed doesn't suffer b/c your strike is more consistently centered

Nice write up, enjoy your new stick!!

Very nice! Sounds like the frustration will now be in the rearview.

Congrats, nothing like finding something that works!

I am excited to get my fresh new custom fit Titleist irons in October. I already told my fitter I will be back in the spring to get fit for a driver. He did a great job and I bet I am leaving performance on the table. The great thing is that I can bring my driver with me so I will know whether it is right or not.

Custom fitting is the only way to go on drivers and shafts. The shaft especially makes such a difference since there are is many profiles that picking one without trying it is really hard to optimize.

Nice gains and enjoy.

That is awesome and glad they got you dialed in. Ego can be a monster sometime, but now you will be playing better golf.
:)

holy hell you went from 130' peak height down to 85' peak height?! did he give you a lower lofted head? i'm trying to wrap my brain around how you were able to reduce height that much. personally 130' peak height sounds glorious haha

Excellent. I am hoping to sign up for the free full bag fitting at True Spec so I can maybe get a sense and idea of what will work best for me.

Very eye opening! It is amazing that sometimes a heavier shaft and one that is even stiffer than you think you need can end up being just the ticket. I find myself in that category as I don't swing as fast as I used to, but I need it for tempo and because of my transition and loading of the shaft.

Good find with that combo!

Wow, that's some good gains. I really need to go get fitted.

holy hell you went from 130' peak height down to 85' peak height?! did he give you a lower lofted head? i'm trying to wrap my brain around how you were able to reduce height that much. personally 130' peak height sounds glorious haha

My outgoing Srixon is a 9.5, set down one degree. The ST190 I was fit for will be at its lowest setting. Something like 7.5 or 8 I think he said. Trackman had most of my shots with the ST right about 100' pk ht, which suits my eye and my game. Some of the Srixon ones would get up over 150 with a slice. Those go absolutely nowhere on the course. I knew they were higher than I wanted, but seeing the numbers was ridiculous. I love seeing low bullets that bound down the fairway when they hit. I'm sure that height is so much more to do with the shaft and how it interacts with the individual swing more so than the head. I switched that Srixon back and forth between the HZRDUS Black that it came with and a Rougue I/O. Both of those claim low launch and low spin, but with my swing, and that head, they were not. The HZRDUS Black was worse. I was skeptical when the fitter suggested another HZDRUS, but the green is a completely different beast.

Last edited:
Congrats, glad you were able to find a great pairing to use! Such a wonderful feeling isn't it?

Very eye opening! It is amazing that sometimes a heavier shaft and one that is even stiffer than you think you need can end up being just the ticket. I find myself in that category as I don't swing as fast as I used to, but I need it for tempo and because of my transition and loading of the shaft.

Good find with that combo!

Definitely!

I was really starting to worry that I had just lost my swing and couldn't hit a driver suddenly. This combo was really consistent and repeatable. I can feel just where the head is during the entire swing, and old one just feels really disconnected in comparison. It sucks wondering where your ball is going to end up as you're swinging, and that's where I was finding myself lately.

Congrats, glad you were able to find a great pairing to use! Such a wonderful feeling isn't it?

Absolutely!

My wallet took a beating, but I've had a huge sense of calm since I left there knowing what is on the way. I played yesterday and just left my current driver in the bag for the whole round. The thought of hitting it really just disgusted me knowing what I had been missing.

I'm sure that height is so much more to do with the shaft and how it interacts with the individual swing more so than the head.

this is always an interesting chicken vs egg conversation. if you took the shaft that all of a sudden gave you lower launch and put in a 13.5* degree head, do you think it would launch lower than the higher launching shaft in a 7* head? i wouldn't think so. i think shafts can help a little all else being equal, but i do think the way we as golfers react to and manipulate the shaft during our swing can change quite a bit based on ei profile, weight, balance, etc.

glad you're getting something that you're happy with!

Very nice experience! Glad it went well. Nothing better than getting the big dog dialed in!

So, what're the specs of the outgoing Srixon? What model and loft? What flex is the HZRDUS Black? Gonna sell it?

So, what're the specs of the outgoing Srixon? What model and loft? What flex is the HZRDUS Black? Gonna sell it?

Z785 9.5 with factory HZRDUS Black 60S. All standard. Definitely going to get sold with about 15 rounds on it.

Nice write up and glad to read how that worked out! Pics of the new club hen you get it lol

Nice post! Great to see that it worked out so well for you. I know a custom fitting like that is expensive, but at least you saw firsthand what the benefits are. Please post how the new driver works for you - I'm sure it'll be great!

Congrats and thanks for the nice write up!

That's a really cool experience! I did an in depth driver fitting a few years ago after always buying stock options and it was amazing the kind of gains we were able to get. Congrats!

Back