Facebook and Hiring

Ottawaclo

#THPFunkoFam
Reaction score
Handicap
Titos
So I have a position open in my warehouse and corporate threw up an ad on indeed and the apps have been pouring in. I recognized a few names and jumped on facebook to put faces to the names and man......some just DQed themselves from interviews due to some of the stuff I was seeing (Drugs the main culprit). We do a hair test prior to employment and I knew some of these folks were not going to be worth the time....no matter how good of a worker they were.

My question is....am I right in thinking that and how much credence should social media have towards potential employees?

Thanks...

You arent the only one looking on Facebook during recruiting. These candidates hang themselves.

You arent the only one looking on Facebook during recruiting. These candidates hang themselves.

Glad to hear.....I mean folks have to know potential employers will at least ask someone to check their social media stuff

So I have a position open in my warehouse and corporate thru up an ad on indeed and the apps have been pouring in. I recognized a few names and jumped on facebook to put faces to the names and man......some just DQed themselves from interviews due to some of the stuff I was seeing (Drugs the main culprit). We do a hair test prior to employment and I knew some of these folks were not going to be worth the time....no matter how good of a worker they were.

My question is....am I right in thinking that and how much credence should social media have towards potential employees?

Thanks...
Absolutely. I try hard not to post photos that can be taken wrong/ always keep my opinion to myself on social media.

We have freedom of speech and what to post etc. But we must also be willing to accept the consequences that come with the posting and photos we post. I choose to use social media to stay connected with people it would otherwise be tough to. I fully expect my current or any future employers may check my profiles at any time.

Not only that but I know I have a social media clause built into my contract (it can also active my non compete) if the company seems something inappropriate I can be fired without warning. To my knowledge it has not happened within our company though.

Glad to hear.....I mean folks have to know potential employers will at least ask someone to check their social media stuff

Nowadays, the investments made into onboarding are crazy and the cost is so high. 60 minute speed date style interviews are fine and all but you will get a whole lot more truth from someones profile picture than you will during their interview...that theyve practiced for

So I have a position open in my warehouse and corporate threw up an ad on indeed and the apps have been pouring in. I recognized a few names and jumped on facebook to put faces to the names and man......some just DQed themselves from interviews due to some of the stuff I was seeing (Drugs the main culprit). We do a hair test prior to employment and I knew some of these folks were not going to be worth the time....no matter how good of a worker they were.

Thanks...

I think it is pretty common for employers to go look up at prospective employees facebook accounts (facebook stalking?)when the applications for jobs have come through. There are times when information in facebook may be 'normal' but will have employers think twice about hiring people. I think the onus is really on the employee to make sure to keep his or her private life private by blocking those aspects off facebook (and other social media) or stay off those platforms completely. Social Media has become more of the new 'public records' and I do not blame employers doing their due diligence to find more information about prospective employees.

On the social mediums I can actually be found on, I keep it pretty balanced. You've got every right to check them out and see who they are as people.

Nowadays, the investments made into onboarding are crazy and the cost is so high. 60 minute speed date style interviews are fine and all but you will get a whole lot more truth from someones profile picture than you will during their interview...that theyve practiced for

Ya I have been burned a few times and the cost of pre employment screening is no joke either...

I think it is pretty common for employers to go look up at prospective employees facebook accounts (facebook stalking?)when the applications for jobs have come through. There are times when information in facebook may be 'normal' but will have employers think twice about hiring people. I think the onus is really on the employee to make sure to keep his or her private life private by blocking those aspects off facebook (and other social media) or stay off those platforms completely. Social Media has become more of the new 'public records' and I do not blame employers doing their due diligence to find more information about prospective employees.

On the social mediums I can actually be found on, I keep it pretty balanced. You've got every right to check them out and see who they are as people.

Thanks .....i dont feel bad about it as much now lol.

It's why I set everything to private or my personal stuff. Everything is pretty much golf/food/travel on teh stuff where it's open.

I have been with companies that have fired people for posts on Facebook and I have seen them check Facebook when interviewing as another way to do a background check. When Dawn as hiring for her team, checking Facebook was part of her process before going forward with a second interview.

Ya I have been burned a few times and the cost of pre employment screening is no joke either...

Thanks .....i dont feel bad about it as much now lol.

You really should not.

I think there are things you may find out about on facebook like sexual preference, hobbies, religion, political beliefs etc. that really should not affect peoples opinions for job hiring (would not be surprised if they do for some though). But you can also find out about things like crime, drugs, etc. that would (and should?) make a difference in the hiring process. In the end it is more about how you use/interpret the information than the information itself.

It's why I set everything to private or my personal stuff. Everything is pretty much golf/food/travel on teh stuff where it's open.

I am almost hoping everyone that can be eliminated by a failed drug test just automatically DQs themselves via social media and saves me the time at this point lol

Thanks...
You're doing it right imo.

I tell my students weekly, social media idiocy can make or break the chance for that future job, even YEARS down the road.

I manage a warehouse and will check some social media and I've hired some good guys and some DB's. If use of drugs like pot was a reason I didn't interview someone I wouldn't be able to fill my staffing needs in this industry and marketplace.

You really should not.

I think there are things you may find out about on facebook like sexual preference, hobbies, religion, political beliefs etc. that really should not affect peoples opinions for job hiring (would not be surprised if they do for some though). But you can also find out about things like crime, drugs, etc. that would (and should?) make a difference in the hiring process. In the end it is more about how you use/interpret the information than the information itself.

Ya right now the only thing that matters to me is can they pass a background check and a hair test......if you cant pass those two things then it really is just a matter of wasting each others time....and surprisingly I have had 3 folks already on facebook that I moved their resumes to the "Rejected" folder due to posts on facebook for drug activity.

I am almost hoping everyone that can be eliminated by a failed drug test just automatically DQs themselves via social media and saves me the time at this point lol

Haha good point - if there was a license to use the internet... it wouldn't do any good look at the bad drivers out there lol

I manage a warehouse and will check some social media and I've hired some good guys and some DB's. If use of drugs like pot was a reason I didn't interview someone I wouldn't be able to fill my staffing needs in this industry and marketplace.

Two of my best workers were upfront about weed use and when they tested positive for low amounts of THC on the hair test....corporate still approved their hiring. Anything other than weed is a automatic DQ however.

MY thing is do what you want inside your four walls....just make sure you are not impaired inside my four walls (the warehouse).

I have had one firing, sadly, in the last couple years due to Heroin use. Tried like hell to help the guy and the company even paid for him to go to rehab....just didnt work out.

My buddy was applying to be a deputy sheriff, and one of his friends posted a racist joke on his page. The deputy sheriff printed it out and had it with him at the interview.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MY thing is do what you want inside your four walls....just make sure you are not impaired inside my four walls (the warehouse).

But see you can't guarantee that. And are you willing to risk the lives of all of your other workers that a known drug user isn't going to come to work impaired and do something when they can't stay clean long enough to pass a pre employment drug screening? If they are willing to let the drugs show on a screening, the drugs are a bigger part of their lives than I'm comfortable with. This is probably for another thread but the same goes for the guys who go out drinking the night before a shift and come to work to sweat it out knowing they're still drunk. I just can't stand that stupidity

I checked a sales guy's FB while we were talking.

Two of my best workers were upfront about weed use and when they tested positive for low amounts of THC on the hair test....corporate still approved their hiring. Anything other than weed is a automatic DQ however.

I have had one firing, sadly, in the last couple years due to Heroin use. Tried like hell to help the guy and the company even paid for him to go to rehab....just didnt work out.

We don't do drug tests and now with medical maijuana the lines are grey. I have 4 people with a prescription and all have asked if they can have it mailed to work. We also don't do any background checks. We also only post warehouse jobs on kijiji. Lots of interesting folks on there so I do what I can on my own to make a judgement call on if they get an interview.

But see you can't guarantee that. And are you willing to risk the lives of all of your other workers that a known drug user isn't going to come to work impaired and do something when they can't stay clean long enough to pass a pre employment drug screening? If they are willing to let the drugs show on a screening, the drugs are a bigger part of their lives than I'm comfortable with. This is probably for another thread but the same goes for the guys who go out drinking the night before a shift and come to work to sweat it out knowing they're still drunk. I just can't stand that stupidity

Agree 100%. That is the struggle with current employees and to be honest the two I mentioned have not nor will they be allowed to run machinery. They are just beasts at packing/wrapping/shipping.

You cannot cheat the hair test, so I am never really worried about the words people tell me during an interview, I KNOW more than half the time they are only saying things that they think they want me to hear.

What i do like about the drug screening is it will not allow the "I only smoked once about a month ago" to fly. The % is pretty black and white.

BUt like you mentioned....you cannot guarantee anything. Some folks might be clean for a few months while job hunting...get the gig...and then are back using at home. No way to really tell unless you are coached up for signs to look for.

So potential employers could assume that you'll take too long lunches, call in sick to golf, and use all of your vacation time to travel. NO HIRE! :p

So potential employers could assume that you'll take too long lunches, call in sick to golf, and use all of your vacation time to travel. NO HIRE! :p

Ya I already nixed Alex from all future employment with our company lol!!

Just nixed another potential hire as on their facebook page he had a picture of himself blowing smoke into his dogs face....i mean ....really?

When I was hiring I didn't look up on FB or Twitter until after the 1st interview. I scheduled those based on resume and experience. I didn't want to look at anything that might color my view of them.

Honestly, seeing someone liking crappy music would've probably had more of an effect on me than pics of them with joints ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back