Fairway Bunkers - How Do You Score Them?

tdinbr

Water hazards are tough!
Reaction score
Handicap
I have been using GolfShot and Oob Golf to track my scores for quite some time and have been wondering about a scoring issue that comes up often.

Question: When you hit your tee shot into a fairway bunker, have you hit the fairway?

Reason for asking: On the GolfShot scoring screen there are options from the tee of "Long, Left, Hit, Right, or Short". None of these seem to apply when I hit into a fairway bunker so I mark it as "Hit" but that just doesn't feel right..

On Oob there is an option for "Miss" and that is what I choose, but GolfShot does not have that listed as an option.

Thoughts??

I would probably just say missed left, right, long, or short depending on where the bunker is located.

Left or right if on the side of the FW.
Long or short depending on if you were trying to lay up to it or carry it (if it happens to be in the middle of a FW, etc).

I agree with Cookie here. thats def not a hit fairway. But....fairway bunker does have fairway in the name

Why are these not options?
Assuming we have a fairway:

Code:
;;;;.**.~;;
;;;..**.~;;
;;.......~;;
;...~....;;
;;..~~..;;
;........;;
;;......;;
;.......;;;
;;;...;;;;
;;;;;;;;
; rough
. fairway
~ sand
* target area

if you hit the sand in the middle of the fairway, you were short.
if you hit the sand on the side, you were right.

Just because your shot was generally straight doesn't mean it was not straight into a hazard on a side or in the middle.

Then again, if you were aiming in its general direction, accepting you may hit it (flat fairway bunker, roll or bounce in so the ball can be picked cleanly), you may want to count it as hit fairway...

It is definitely a miss, but if you make par, is it still a sand save?

I don't count it as a fairway hit. I'm very precise on how I score fairways and GIR with golf shot so that my stats are always true. I would agree with marking it right left short or long depending on where the bunker is.

Last edited:
definitely not a fairway hit, but for sure a sandy if you get up and down for par, IMO.

I don't count it as a fairway hit. I'm very precise on how I score fairways and GIR with golf shot so that my stats are always true. I would agree with marking it right left short or long depending on where the bunker is.

I can see the sense in this. Just blows when I hit a great tee shot and find out I am in the middle of the fairway in a pot bunker I couldn't even see from the tee...

I said... definitely

hahaha...we were typing at the same time. I edited to "thanks One-T"...so sensitive....hahaha

Landing in a fairway bunker is a missed fairway, you are supposed to avoid that area with your tee shot. Making par eventually after hitting into a fairway bunker is not a sand save, that typically refers to one shot to get out of a greenside bunker and then a made putt for par or better. The stat becomes less meaningful when you add other things into it.

I certainly wouldn't count it as a fairway hit because you didn't hit the fairway. You hit the bunker. I'd put the miss as wherever the bunker is.

I've just marked it as a missed fairway and go from there. Usually I'm more concerned about how I'm going to get out of there without chunking the shot than I am anything else. On the times where I get out just fine, I've never marked it as a sand save. I've always thought that stat was in relation to getting up and down after missing the green.

I agree with Cookie here. thats def not a hit fairway. But....fairway bunker does have fairway in the name

I'd rather hit a fairway divot than a fairway bunker!

But I would also count is as a missed fairway.

I'd rather hit a fairway divot than a fairway bunker!

But I would also count is as a missed fairway.

Really? You missed the fairway by hitting into a patch of sand 2"x3" that is a product of regular play and consider that a missed fairway? Please explain.

Really? You missed the fairway by hitting into a patch of sand 2"x3" that is a product of regular play and consider that a missed fairway? Please explain.
I would count hitting into a fairway bunker as a missed fairway.

I would count hitting into a fairway divot as a fairway hit.

If the ball is any where but the fairway off the tee, it's a missed fairway

what is this "fairway" that everyone is speaking of?

If you hit a greenside bunker, does it count as a greenie? :act-up:

what is this "fairway" that everyone is speaking of?

Everyone remember when your golfing Dad would say, "It's my way or the fair way?"

Back