Fairway Wood or Fairway Metal?

I usually just say “3 wood”. I don’t tend to use the word “fairway” in speech either.

It doesn't really matter to me. I can't hit a 3/4 wood to save my life. The only fairway wood I hit decent was a Orlimar Trimetal Plus 18*.

Always a fairway wood.

Fairway WOOD. The only people I know who call it a fairway metal do so because they say that they aren't made of wood.

Yet most irons are made of steel or titanium or whatever metals yet these same people have no problem sticking with the simple and appropriate term, "iron."

It's silly to me. It's a fairway wood because it's the traditional name of the tool, not some detailed analysis of its technical composition.

According to my signature, the only correct term is "metalloid".

But other than that, the correct term is fairway wood. Fairway metal just sounds weird.

On another note, it is fairways hit, not fairways in regulation.

My 5-wood I refer to as a "5-wood".

If not referring to a specific club it is a "fairway".

I have never and would never say "metal".

They're not wood and they're not metal either. They're carbon fiber - metal and other stuff now. But I call them woods just because I grew up playing persimmon.

Fairway Wood or Fairway Metal?

I’ve heard them called both. I call them fairway woods

Fairway metal for the same reason I USED to call them fairway woods and none of us call them what they were before that--spoons. That's what they are.

Bonus Info: A spoon had a concave face. When they switched to a convex face, they stopped calling them spoons, because they weren't.

Fairway wood because I never want to sound like Johnny Miller.

I have never called them a fairway metal and never will - always been 'wood' for me

Well I don’t own one any more but when I did. Fairway Wood.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't recall ever saying fairway metal

Wood for me.

I call it a fairway wood. To me, its a, "wood" because its a wood shape, even if its made out of metal.

What do you call it? Why?

Just a random thought in my head this morning that I have never referred to them as metal’s, not sure why.

What if it’s a graphite crown? Fairway graphite? Not very catchy... Fairway club? IDK

Fairway metal because the club is made of metal.

Fairway metal because the club is made of metal.

Your 8 iron isn’t made out of iron.....it’s made of stainless steel. But do you call it an 8 steel? Of course not. Clubs were first made out of wood and iron hundreds of years ago. That’s how they got their name. Why people decided to suddenly become PC about fairway clubs and not irons is beyond me.

Your 8 iron isn’t made out of iron.....it’s made of stainless steel. But do you call it an 8 steel? Of course not. Clubs were first made out of wood and iron hundreds of years ago. That’s how they got their name. Why people decided to suddenly become PC about fairway clubs and not irons is beyond me.

You seen my 8 stainless steel boron cross?

I usually call it my *#*#*#*#*’ing 3w. :)

At least lately. (And in my head only).

I'll be playing my "Tee Box, Fairway, Rough, and Sometimes Fringe Multi-material Composite" on my next shot.

It's a f@ck¡ng wood!

Back