Fairway Wood or Fairway Metal?

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
What do you call it? Why?

Just a random thought in my head this morning that I have never referred to them as metal’s, not sure why.

I have always said fairway wood. Just always have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What do you call it? Why?

Just a random thought in my head this morning that I have never referred to them as metal’s, not sure why.

Always a wood. :good:

Some of them say "3w" or "5w" on the club itself. Never seen any that say "3m" or "5m"

I am old school .Fairway wood..ex.3 wood ,even though I started on actual persimmon woods.I hear an announcer say fairway metal from time to time and I cringe.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I do not say either.. I say Driver, 3 wood, or 5 hybrid...so i guess i believe i would have to say; I refer to them as woods...:taylormade:

I don't think I've ever said the term fairway metal. I may start just to see what people's response is.

wood. doesn’t make sense anymore, but that’s what i call it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fairway wood. The first time I heard someone call it a fairway metal I didn’t know what they were talking about.

wood. doesn’t make sense anymore, but that’s what i call it.

With some of them we should almost start calling them Carbon’s more than metals if one went that round hahaha

Fairway wood because they were actually wood for about the 1st third of my golfing life. Old habits are hard to break.

I say fairway wood as well. I've heard some older gentlemen I play with can them metal woods.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Always fairway wood. Fairway metal doesn't sound right to me.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

With some of them we should almost start calling them Carbon’s more than metals if one went that round hahaha

i like to hit my 3-composite into tight driving holes

They are a fairway wood. It doesn't matter what they are made of. Fairway metal sounds like someone is trying too hard.

I say wood. They've been made of metal ever since I started playing, but fairway metal just doesn't sound right to me.

Fairway wood

Maybe once or twice metal - but always known them as woods

Fairway "wood" here.

To me it's a wood, but I'm not offended or put off by the word metal.

Fairway wood. The only person I've ever heard say metal was Faldo and he's trying to hard to get it to become the norm.

Fairway wood. The only person I've ever heard say metal was Faldo and he's trying to hard to get it to become the norm.
I guess you don't watch the commercials for the new GX-7 hot metal.

I feel like "fairway metal" is a Johnny Miller-ism meant to convey they were playing back when "woods" really were made of wood.

Back