Fairway Woods & Hybrids

fairwaynut

Bettinardi Aficionado
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
SingleMalt
I've been giving much thought (no cracks please) as to my FW and Hybrids that will be in my bag this coming year. I'm think ing I've found the right combination, they seem to give me good yardages when hitting them in the simulator. That being a Ping G410 3w (14.5*), a Srixon Z F85 5w (18*), and a Cleveland Launcher Halo #4 hybrid (21*). The yardage gaps seems to merge pretty well. So we'll see what happens. Also, what fairway woods and hybrids are you THPers gaming this coming year.

Those lofts/clubs are basically what I’ve got in my bag as well. Cobra F7 in 3W, Cobra F8 in 5W, and a TaylorMade M1 hybrid in 21*. I’ve been pretty happy with that makeup.

Probably not changing my hybrids. I might change my 3w for a Mavrik, but that’s a maybe.

Currently I have Cobra F8 5-6fwy and 4h(22*) and 5h(25*). As my iron game has improved a lot and I have shortened my driver and fw shafts, I'm thinking about ditching 5h and possibly 4h as well.

I’m looking forward to seeing how I hit the Fw’s in a couple of weeks. The ping hybrids I have seen to not set up well to my eye and I like to put them left more than I like. I also currently have an R11 17* 4W that I love. My hybrids are 20* and 23*.

I play a Titleist 917 F2 16.5* FW which I like better than a 3 wood because it flies high. I am not looking for a certain distance here, just high flying and fairly strait. This does the trick. I like the older version because it spins more which gives me more height and control of direction. I use a Titleist 818 H2 19* hybrid. This is a very versatile club for me as I use it to punch hit tight fairways, and long tight shots from the fairway. It's one of my most confidence inspiring clubs in the bag. I like it so much I just bought a 23* version off eBay to test. In my 4 iron range I just keep grabbing this club and trying to lay off of it or grabbing my 5 iron and trying to pound it. I think the 23* could possibly replace my 4 and 5 iron and give me an extra spot in the bag and a mich more confident club from 160-180. This will let me add another club down at the bottom of the bag which is where I score anyway. More dependable length and an extra scoring club is a win win.

As of now, I am not going to have a 3 wood or hybrid in the bag this year, all utility irons. I only hit my 3 Wood a handout of times last season and it was not a very efficient club for me and I feel much more comfortable hitting irons so I have been messing around with the Titleist U500 2 iron over the winter and feel very comfortable with it.

As of now, I am not going to have a 3 wood or hybrid in the bag this year, all utility irons. I only hit my 3 Wood a handout of times last season and it was not a very efficient club for me and I feel much more comfortable hitting irons so I have been messing around with the Titleist U500 2 iron over the winter and feel very comfortable with it.
This is my reasoning as well. I'm much more confident with the King Utility 2-3 than with driver, fw or hybrids.

Right now I carry Titleist 917 F2 13 degree and 18 degree fairways but I am not settled on this combination. I may toy with a TS2 16.5 degree and maybe a Callaway Super Hybrid.

I carried a callaway xr16 4w and rouge 4h (21 degrees) this past year. As the year progressed, I found myself hitting incredible shots with the 4h and it dawned on me that I never seemed to get incredible shots with the 4w so I have pulled it and added the rouge 3h for 2020. Could be just a shaft fitment affinity with the hybrids but the height and distance I'm getting is great. I should note that my 4hybrid is at least 2 clubs longer then my 5i.

I tend to prefer high-loft fairways to hybrids. 5, 7, 9-woods as it were.

In fairness, though, I haven't hit any of the newest hybrids.

Callaway reps claim that their "Super Hybrid" hits like a fairway wood, and maybe it does.

much has to do with shaft fitment and head deign of the hybrid. I used a 5w very effectively for a number of years. Now I'm getting similar height and distance with a hybrid. I don't think one has mechanical advantage over the others. Rather a matter of the swing combined with the shaft/head fitment

To the OP, I bet that would be a fun setup.

What is in my signature unless I find replacements that perform better.

I've been giving much thought (no cracks please) as to my FW and Hybrids that will be in my bag this coming year. I'm think ing I've found the right combination, they seem to give me good yardages when hitting them in the simulator. That being a Ping G410 3w (14.5*), a Srixon Z F85 5w (18*), and a Cleveland Launcher Halo #4 hybrid (21*). The yardage gaps seems to merge pretty well. So we'll see what happens. Also, what fairway woods and hybrids are you THPers gaming this coming year.
Do you play a G410 driver? Curious how the FW compares if so.

I have an F9 3W 14.5 that is not in the bag but i'll lug it out every other round...just in case...I have the BB19 3H and between the TE HL4 3i and the Launcher HB 4i, I think I'll be fine...well, once I find consistency with the 3W.

I will be getting a SIM Max 3Hybrid after my fitting which will be replacing a 3W that I just was not hitting well. Looking forward to getting it in a few weeks.

Back