Snickerdog

Team THP 2019 Grandaddy Alumni
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Are you a guy/gal that can hit fairway woods/metals?
Can you hit them off the deck or do you use them for just off the tee box?

I play 3,5 and 7 woods and use them for the fairway and off the tee. Never had an issue getting a fairway wood to launch off the deck.

I am.

I prefer them off the tee (3W in particular) but have no problem hitting them off the deck when the need or opportunity presents itself.

Heck, I hit my Original One off the deck.

I love my 3w and 5w, not sure how I could play a round without them to be honest. Of the tee, deck, rough, hell I've even used my 5w many a time in those nasty long range fairway bunkers.

I've recently only been using my 3W in the fairway, but previously some off the tee. I've really gotten to like it recently, and can't see a time when I wouldn't have a trusty 3W in the stable. Looking forward to possibly adding a 5W in December.

My 3 wood is one of my favorite clubs. I prefer hitting it off the deck and when I use it on the tee-box I will sometimes not use a tee.

4w only

majority off the deck, should really hit it more off the tee. usually only looong par 3s or where a 260+ drive will be trouble.

I really like my 3 wood. Recently have been hitting it off the deck really well. I don't any other woods currently, but I do often use my 3 and 4 Hybrids.

5W off the tee and deck. But off deck I need a good lie. If in thick rough, I use my 4H instead. Even if I'm giving up theoretical yardage.

I have no issue hitting them off the deck or the tee

I have gotten over my FW struggles off the deck the last couple of years. Went from a gamble when I felt squirly to being a pretty lethal asset used in the right scenario.

Only carry a 5 wood and use it off both a tee and the deck. Bad lies I'll use my 3 hybrid.

I have no issues off the tee or fairway, unless it’s just a horrible swing on my part. In that case, nothing is going to help matters

I'm carrying a 3wd and 5wd now. I hit them both off the tee fairly often and I hit them both off the deck when necessary. I'd say that in the 3 "seasons" since I came off my hiatus, I used the 3wd off the tee more than the driver up until I recently acquired the M5. I'm more confident with the M5 than I have been with any driver... probably ever. While I still don't hit tons of fairways, my misses are far more manageable than they were before.

I used the 3wd yesterday to from 230ish into a slight (10mph maybe) breeze to reach a par 5 that I normally struggle with. I hit it off the tee to the tune of 217y, then hit a 5wd that got slowed by a tree and netted 122y. The 3rd shot set up a 20' putt for birdie that I proceeded to sink. I think that's my first birdie on that hole and I have maybe 2 or 3 pars in 20ish round on that course.

I can hit them off of either surface. My problem with them is that I hit them all the same distance. No need to carry more than 1 for me.

Good bit of variation so far for them.

I have a 3W & 5W. Can them both of either surface. I tend to use my 3h more often though.

I rarely if ever pull them if I'm being honest--- Can I hit them consistently? I'd say 75% of the time I can advance the ball and still have it be playable, but I've found myself laying up to numbers more so than trying to get home in two. Off the tee- I feel far more confident with my driver than I do with the 3 or 5.

I can hit them off of either surface. My problem with them is that I hit them all the same distance. No need to carry more than 1 for me.

That will likely change as you improve. I think most of us had that issue at the -18 handicap and below.

it's such a mixed bag for me. sometimes i'll hit it beautifully, other times it's just atrocious. the risk of a bad shot far outweighs the reward of a good shot. so i'm trying to get smarter about just laying up.

off the tee, i like them much better. i prefer a 30-ish yard gap from driver to fw, then fw to hybrid.

I will always have at least a 3 wood and 5 wood in my bag. Love FWs. Probably hit them about 6 or 8 times per round usually pretty equally split between tee and deck.

Are you a guy/gal that can hit fairway woods/metals? Yes. Not well at the moment.

Can you hit them off the deck or do you use them for just off the tee box? Both. 3W is Tee only usually, but can hit off the deck. 5W is my utility that gets played from any lie

Carry a 3w and 3H. I'll hit the 3w usually once or twice a round off the tee and another 2-3x on par 5 second shots. I only every hit driver off the deck during scrambles, lol.

I have an on again, off again relationship with my 3W. My 3H tends to do as well. I haven't carried a 5W in 20 yrs. My 3H fills that gap.

Love hitting it off the deck and teeed up. It’s a good club for me most of the time.

Back