I carry a 3W and only hit it off the tee. It's basically a backup in case my driver is erratic, because I'm usually pretty straight with it. There are a couple shorter par 4s that I'll use it for instead of driver as well.

I use a 3 & 5 wood (used to have a 7 wood but Ben Hogan doesn't carry them). I use them from the rough, fairway and tee box as needed.
Callaway makes a 7 wood. Check CPO or just buy a new one. I have the Epic 7W in my bag

I have the VKTR 21* hybrid which I'm currently happy with. I still have my Ashton X-1 7 wood if the VKTR starts to act up. ;)

In my old bag I had both a 3W and 5W and they were used both off the tee and fairway

Since updating my bag to the new Epic Flash Subzero 3W it has only been used off the tee as it is longer than my old driver was, so I haven't yet been in a position where the 3W has been needed from the fairway

I lean fairway woods over hybrids. I can hit hybrids, but the larger footprint of the fairway wood gives me the confidence at address. I play a 3+ as a secondary tee option and its still versatile enough for me to use off the deck if needed.

I play both a 3w and 5w off the tee and in fairways. Been having good success with each shot, and i guess it's a good thing if I haven't needed to hit a 3w or 5w in the fairway, due to being too close to the green and going hybrid instead.

I never had much luck with fairway woods until my fitting at the Grandaddy. Now I'm pretty confident with either 3w or 5w from the tee or off the deck.

I never had much luck with fairway woods until my fitting at the Grandaddy. Now I'm pretty confident with either 3w or 5w from the tee or off the deck.
That is a great thing.

That is a great thing.

It's definitely nice to know that I have options if there is some trouble off the tee or to dig me out of some bad spots when I find myself there.

Are you a guy/gal that can hit fairway woods/metals?
Can you hit them off the deck or do you use them for just off the tee box?

I play 3,5 and 7 woods and use them for the fairway and off the tee. Never had an issue getting a fairway wood to launch off the deck.

Bragger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hybrids are more reliable for me. The 816 H1 19* is my go to for 2nd shots on par 5s. Sadly, I'm rarely close enough to do much other layup on par 5s though :-(

Dave

Always struggled to launch 3 woods for whatever reason. I have plenty of speed and hit most every other club well and with plenty of height. I game a tour issue 5 wood because it is fade biased and launches great with plenty of distance. I think the shaft in a fw is huge for me.

I carry a 3 wood and 5 wood. I experimented with a thriver for a bit as well.

3 wood is primarily used from the tee and somewhat from the deck. 5 wood is the reverse. That said, both clubs will be used from the tee or fairway if they are the club for the job. 5 wood into a tight fairway to then wedge or short iron makes more sense than driver to a flip wedge. If I'm 250+ out on a par 5 and length is the main protection for the par 5 im going to give a crack at getting home in 2 with my 3 wood.

Realistically a 4 wood could probably cover the job of both just not quite do as good a job either one. That said I'm moving towards a 3 wedge set up to support that top of bag setup unless I move to a different iron set up that removes the need for a club between 4 iron and 5 wood.

Back