Review Fall 2019 Callaway Golf "Weather Series" Apparel - THP Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
For Fall 2019, Callaway Golf Apparel and Perry Ellis are expanding their "Weather Series" lineup with some new options, just in time for the weather to take a turn.

Focused on being "engineered with Swing Tech" according to the company, comfort, weather effectiveness, and not impeding the golf swing like so many apparel articles do, I was curious to get a closer look.

My history with Callaway apparel done by PEI is an up and down one, particularly with sizing. I was sent four different outerwear articles for a homepage article I'll be writing, but I wanted to get a thread up with some stock images of what I received for everyone to see, and discuss prior to that.

In for Review:

Men's StormGuard Waterproof Jacket - $190.00
2-XL.jpg

Men's SwingTech Outlast Midlayer 1/4 Zip - $75.00
1-XL.jpg

Men's High Gauge Fleece Full Zip Vest - $75.00
3-XL.jpg

Men's Midweight 1/4 Zip Ottoman Pullover - $85.00
4-XL.jpg

Nice looking apparel. I'm liking the color of the Ottoman Pullover.

All look pretty good, but I don't care for the super-large "stormguard" label on the front of the first item.

• Staff
All look pretty good, but I don't care for the super-large "stormguard" label on the front of the first item.
That one is actually my favorite piece when I tried them all on last night.

Crazy high quality rain top. I'm legitimately surprised at the improvements in these 4 pieces because, well, IMO the Callaway Apparel lines have been pretty crummy in the past.

@Jman - can you really address the similarities / differences between the two 1/4 zips. I see that one use the word layer ... I get what that means. But can it be worn as an outwear piece? Other distinguishing elements between the two and how each can / should be used would be very helpful. Thanks!

James that last one, does it feel similar to the white one we got at the grandaddy? I freaking love playing in that one because it's a good mid weight option.

• Staff
@Jman - can you really address the similarities / differences between the two 1/4 zips. I see that one use the word layer ... I get what that means. But can it be worn as an outwear piece? Other distinguishing elements between the two and how each can / should be used would be very helpful. Thanks!
First one is very thin, hence the "midlayer" name to it. Its actually the exact design type of the one piece of apparel from my Grandaddy year that I enjoyed and keep wearing, except the L isn't like wearing a tent, it fits true to size. The bottom is a more thermal design which could be used standalone in chilly weather, whereas the first you might need another layer on top if its cool enough outside, like the vest.

• Staff
James that last one, does it feel similar to the white one we got at the grandaddy? I freaking love playing in that one because it's a good mid weight option.
Similar in cushion, if that makes sense. Not quite as dense to me, but its in that mid weight realm firmly.

The first 1/4 is spot on our black one we got at the Grandaddy, but not a tent.

Nice, I'm a fan of that one too. Minus the fact that Omar made it.

I'm probably the only one with this opinion, but I like it when the sleeves from my elbow down to my wrist are very snug (sort of like 3rd photo).
I don't get why you would want to wear something like the fit in the 2nd pic. Looks comfy, but I wouldn't wear that for golf me thinks.

I'm probably the only one with this opinion, but I like it when the sleeves from my elbow down to my wrist are very snug (sort of like 3rd photo).
I don't get why you would want to wear something like the fit in the 2nd pic. Looks comfy, but I wouldn't wear that for golf me thinks.
Its definitely personal preference. For me, snug in the arms means restrictive, and thats a big no-no for me when it comes to comfort full swinging a club. But we are 100% all different.

Got a few samples the other day. Really liking the new designs. Even the vest was nice, and I'm not a vest guy.

Overall, I like the look of all of those. I agree that making "Stormguard" so prominent on the jacket is kind of an odd choice though.

I'm digging these, but I tend to use underlayers to keep the heat in. I have some hunting gear that is super thin and keeps me toasty.

I really like the looks of the Ottoman Pullover. I would wear that one off the course without hesitation. I like the look, the fit and the color contrast.

Its definitely personal preference. For me, snug in the arms means restrictive, and thats a big no-no for me when it comes to comfort full swinging a club. But we are 100% all different.

Yep, to clarify, I'm referring to stretch fabrics. Def in the same boat that restrictive is a major no-no. Hence why I wear vests! lol...

Yep, to clarify, I'm referring to stretch fabrics. Def in the same boat that restrictive is a major no-no. Hence why I wear vests! lol...
I am too.

But, you also have to remember, some of us don't look good in an article that is like wearing sausage casing. ;)

I agree with the others, that Ottoman pullover looks fantastic.

I am too.

But, you also have to remember, some of us don't look good in an article that is like wearing sausage casing. ;)

Ahhh....but that is why I clarified from the elbows down! Haha!

I like the vest, which is strange for me. That last pullover though. ?

We got a bunch of the weather series at last years granddaddy and if that was any indication these are going to be great.

I’ll have at least one of these pieces. The Callaway apparel look e has come a long way.

I feel like any of these would look fantastic with a “G” on the pocket.

Back