Good luck. Lol. I just stick with white because red, yellow or orange balls blend in with the leaves even worse.
Yet right in this very thread one member insists the bright red balls he bought are easier to see and another suggested the bright green balls he's using are easier to see.

Seems counter-intuitive, but I'm reminded of when they put our in-ground sprinkler system in. To make a record of where the lines were pulled I spray-painted them on the lawn, spray-painted direction and distance markers at certain points, then video'd the whole thing. The store had run out of blindingly bright orange or pink or whatever, and had only green in stock. So I used that for part of it. In reviewing the video the green showed up markedly better than the other color.

I have some Vice Pro Plus balls waiting for me at work. May not get hold of them for another week though as I don't think I will be in next week

Yet right in this very thread one member insists the bright red balls he bought are easier to see and another suggested the bright green balls he's using are easier to see.

Seems counter-intuitive, but I'm reminded of when they put our in-ground sprinkler system in. To make a record of where the lines were pulled I spray-painted them on the lawn, spray-painted direction and distance markers at certain points, then video'd the whole thing. The store had run out of blindingly bright orange or pink or whatever, and had only green in stock. So I used that for part of it. In reviewing the video the green showed up markedly better than the other color.
Hey, it works for you or anyone else, that's cool. Ive never found that to be true though.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I once read that almost all of us has a bit of color blindness. Some tend toward not seeing green colors as well and some tend toward not seeing red/orange colors as well. If true, this could be why some of us see the orange balls better in the leaves and some of us see the green balls better. As for me, much of the time during the normal golf season I play the matt green Srixon Soft Feel balls and when the fall leaves intrude I switch to red-orange balls. The funny thing is that when playing the orange balls, I can follow them very well in the air but when they hit the ground I loose sight of them. For some reason, when I get up to where they stopped rolling I can see them better in the leaves though.

I tested five (5) balls in an environment roughly similar to the roughs we're seeing right now in S.E. Michigan (posted earlier):

Fall_Ball_Test_Venue.JPG

The grass is of varying length, types, and density. It's a minimum of three (3) inches long.

The five contenders:

Fall_Ball_Candidates-18pct.jpg

L-R, top-to-bottom: Wilson Duo Optix (green), Titleist "black dot" (green/yellow), Srixon Soft Feel Brite (red), Wilson Ultra 500 (white), and Titleist "black dot" (pink)

Weather: Heavy overcast

Test procedure: Variously had my wife throw them with my back turned, threw them one-by-one over my shoulder, and, when it got down to four, tossed all four in one go with my eyes closed. The balls were thrown various distances, in somewhat variable directions, and sometimes with dispersion as much as a twenty foot radius.

The order they're listed is the order in which they ranked by ease of spotting. The green Wilson Duo Optix was the clear winner. Both my wife and I spotted that one more quickly, more often, than any of the others. The yellow/green Titleist and the red Srixon came in second, with the Titleist barely edging out the Srixon. The white Wilson Ultra was a distant fourth, and the pink Titleist fared so poorly it was out of the running after the first test. (I expected that from prior experience.)

Here's where the green Wilson most often beat the red Srixon: Under light-to-moderate leaf burial. When both balls were relatively un-obscured by grass or leaves, the Srixon edged-out the Wilson. But when the balls were partially obscured, particularly by leaves, the Wilson was more-easily spotted. (That Srixon is so astoundingly, glowingly red, even under overcast conditions, I honestly had not expected this outcome.)

I hope to repeat the test in bright sunshine, but it looks like it'll be a few days. Plus I plan to play both the Wilson and Srixon on my next outing.

As an aside: See that garden hose off to the right in the photo of the lawn? That's about how the green Wilson ball stood out.

Last edited:
Wilson Duo Matte Red for me, so bright that my camera struggled to get a pic!
Cheap balls and not thst bad really for winter golf. As you can see greens are holding cause they're so wet so I don't really need to worry about spin and distance wise they're OK from what I've seen.
840c38dc98940b60622de6f326d0825f.jpg

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

For those who don't think cold weather affects a golf balls performance, you should read this article. A bit softer golf ball would most likely help.

Wilson Duo Matte Red for me, so bright that my camera struggled to get a pic!
Cheap balls and not [that] bad really for winter golf.
They're about the same color and brightness as the Srixon ball I tested, I believe. At least that's what the photos would suggest. ITYM "inexpensive," as opposed to "cheap?" I guess, but they're three times the cost of what I've been donating to the forest, swamp, and water creatures' habitats 🤪

I played the RX and QST for my first two rounds of fall golf. QST might be my go to fall ball... have a variety to test upcoming including the E12 soft (red).

Side note - White vs Yellow are difficult to find in leaves no matter what. Bridgstone yellow that is. I have some AVX Yellow, Zstar yellow, E12 (red) to try. I want to keep up playing but this month is terrible for fall leaves... not sure how that will fare for my sanity.

Played yesterday in 40* weather and I have to admit that I was searching the web for compression rates of balls I had in inventory.
Ended up playing SuperHot Matte Orange - In the fairway - easy to find - Get into some leaves, a little harder.
My back to the SuperHot is ERC Yellow.
Have some Cut Matte Orange and Yellow's I can use as well, they play at 65 compression.
I try to keep the golf balls I'm playing in the house until I leave to play.

Starting now I think I'll try what someone here suggested, and just play "golf bag bingo" with all of the used and scuffed balls that I already have in my bag. There are so many I most likely won't use them all up before the spring.

For sure. Normally play pro v1x but go with a lower compression ball because of the colder temps and definitely a cheaper ball. My go to is the callaway super soft.

Back