I am going to try these tomorrow. Picked them up for $15 a dozen at Big 5.

81f0210bcb532f221211b5157c4c06b8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I do. Switched to white but maintain a low compression that I play year round. With the orange and red leaves on the ground, I find Red a non-starter and orange goes from easy to find to average at best.

as we get into winter golf, I will go with orange. Seems easier to find on days when sun is always at a severe angle.

The other day I went out for a quick nine and found seven balls during the round. Leaves are pretty heavy and the rough had not been cut in several days. By the way, I don't "fish" for balls, they were just found on my way to where my shots went.
When fall comes I switch to a softer, lower compression ball like the Callaway Supersoft or Sirxon Soft Feel.

The other day I went out for a quick nine and found seven balls during the round. Leaves are pretty heavy and the rough had not been cut in several days.
Exactly. Had that happen to me a couple times yesterday. Balls we saw land in playable areas of the rough but could not find when we got up there.

Had one drive drop right outside the drip line of a tree which had obviously just shed the majority of its leaves w/in the last couple days or so. "That's playable," one of my playing partners remarked. "Sure is," I replied, "except we won't find it." Sure enough, we could not find it.

Maybe going forward, when I golf in the fall, I'll bring along a leaf blower :ROFLMAO: (Either that or learn how to keep 'em on the fairway.)

Yes, spin on matte balls decreases in the wet. I can still spin a wet matte urethane ball better than non-urethane, and since I can see a matte green ball so much better, I've found the Maxfli Tour to be the best ball for me this time of year. They perform pretty darn well, and they're tough to beat at $25 a dozen.
I am looking at different balls. I don’t like losing good strikes just because the season. Today I lost 3 TP5 Pix balls that were good strikes but I could not find dues to leaves and such. I have a ton of Srixon so that’s a logical choice for me.
Decided I’ll play the Z Stars since I have so many. On cold days perhaps Callaway Hex Soft, got a bunch of those as well.

I play a low compression ball anyway (Callaway Supersoft), so no need to switch. For me it's a good all-seasons ball.

I switch to anything that's bright, vibrant orange (almost red-orange). For some reason I can spot them in the fall leaves better than any other color ball. Srixon distance in orange is a good example. Before that, I really liked Nike Pd Soft in orange.

I switch to anything that's bright, vibrant orange (almost red-orange). For some reason I can spot them in the fall leaves better than any other color ball.
If I could find an economical ball in a bright, vibrant orange I'd be willing to try it, despite the fact it seems counter-intuitive. Between the fall leaves and low sun angle I'm having a heckuva time spotting my balls even when they're not in with leaves.

Right now I'm using Wilson Ultra 500's at 67¢/ea. The store has them only in white and bright yellow. Haven't tried the bright yellow, yet. Might as well. I'm losing balls, anyway. Maybe, like your orange ones, they'll work better - counter-intuitive as that seems.

Last edited:
Picked up a dozen Srixon Soft Feel in Red just for the fun of it. No problem finding my ball as it really stands out. For 19.95 I don't mind loosing them. As soon as the leaves get picked up, I will be back to my normal balls.

Im going to move to cheaper balls. Likely Vice.

Picked up a dozen Srixon Soft Feel in Red just for the fun of it. No problem finding my ball as it really stands out. For 19.95 I don't mind loosing them.
You might if you lost them at the rate I do :ROFLMAO:

Nonetheless: I'll pick up a box and, if I can get the slices and big fades out of my swing, which is what causes most of my balls so lost no color would help, I'll give 'em a try.

The Wilson Duo Optix matte red balls, about the same price, look pretty bright, too.

I usually go to a low spin ball to mitigate the plugs

Exactly. Had that happen to me a couple times yesterday. Balls we saw land in playable areas of the rough but could not find when we got up there.

Had one drive drop right outside the drip line of a tree which had obviously just shed the majority of its leaves w/in the last couple days or so. "That's playable," one of my playing partners remarked. "Sure is," I replied, "except we won't find it." Sure enough, we could not find it.

Maybe going forward, when I golf in the fall, I'll bring along a leaf blower :ROFLMAO: (Either that or learn how to keep 'em on the fairway.)

0A07FCD4-17BB-4A80-8D69-FA793CD152D8.jpeg

From orange to fluorescent green.

WARNING! Do not - I repeat - do not play these Volvik Muscle Core balls. They are rocks disguised as golf balls.

2491bd06f6bc328a74d29dbe228489b8.jpg

I bought a box of 2 dozen yesterday to try them out and it was a mistake. After 2 holes today I swapped it out for my regular gamer. These are basically colorful range or shag bag balls.

You have been warned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that scoring season is coming to an end, I try different golf balls occasionally. I put the Top Flight D2 plus distance in play, and was impressed with it's feel in cooler weather. You don't really care if you lose them in the leaves, woods or wherever, but the game quite well this time of year and are inexpensive.

I personally don't switch and feel that the notion of switching to a softer ball during the cooler months is an old wives' tale.
The science doesn't really support that claim that the temperature effects how much a ball springs off the club face at impact all that much.

I personally don't switch and feel that the notion of switching to a softer ball during the cooler months is an old wives' tale.
The science doesn't really support that claim that the temperature effects how much a ball springs off the club face at impact all that much.

I don’t think it’s necessarily about the science but more about feel. When my hands are cold, I want something softer that won’t hurt my hands as much when I hit it (even more so on mis-hits)

For me I just don’t wanna lose $4 balls when I know it can be challenging to find them amongst the leaves.

Still hit the same ball, no matter what. I'd just loss them, just like I always do. :laughing:

I'm looking at switching, not because of the cold, but in hopes I'll find a ball I don't lose as easily in the low sun angle, higher roughs, and verkakte leaves.

Goin' over the the LGS to buy a couple different boxes. Then I'm going to throw one of each out on the back lawn, which is currently fairly heavily leaf-covered and pretty much average-rough-length

Fall_Ball_Test_Venue.JPG

and see which, if any, stands out better than white. Got white ones, pink ones, and picking up bright red and bright green ones. I'll throw 'em all out there and see which, if any, shine, so to say :)

Last edited:
Usually I switch to my scuffed up balls from the season . Don’t mind if I lose them or not they are my practice putting and chipping balls usually
This is what I'm thinking of doing. I have plenty of my Srixon Z Star XV balls that I've played and taken out of the rotation or practiced with for a while.

I'm looking at switching, not because of the cold, but in hopes I'll find a ball I don't lose as easily in the low sun angle, higher roughs, and verkakte leaves.

Goin' over the the LGS to buy a couple different boxes. Then I'm going to throw one of each out on the back lawn, which is currently fairly heavily leaf-covered and pretty much average-rough-length

Fall_Ball_Test_Venue.JPG

and see which, if any, stands out better than white. Got white ones, pink ones, and picking up bright red and bright green ones. I'll throw 'em all out there and see which, if any, shine, so to say :)
Good luck. Lol. I just stick with white because red, yellow or orange balls blend in with the leaves even worse.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I usually don't switch balls during the season, just change color depending on the course I am playing.

Back