Fall is a'coming: List off the best layering pieces in here.

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
In the stable, I've got a puma cloudspun, Travis Mathew, and SWAG straight down 1/4 zip. Then, Grylbl and Travis Mathew hoodies.

What do you have in the closet?
What else is out there?
Anything being pondered?

I'm curious to hear about Rhoback and Asher stuff. Also just made aware of UNRL. :unsure:
Hard pondering a Peter Millar 1/4 zip right now.

Last edited:
Cloudspun Crew is my go to.

Looking for some 1/4 zips that have a little more warmth than the crew but that doesn't restrict movement.

I have several Cloudspun pieces and PM sweaters. I have a Cloudspun AP pullover on the way. I also have my eye on the WRMLBL jacket.

I'm always on the lookout for more PM 1/4 zips and pondering some of the new Ashworth stuff.

Down to the low 60's I have 2 lighter 1/4 zips (a Peter Millar Cog Hill one and a THP Puma one) that get a lot of use. May or may not wear shorts at these temps.
In the 50's I'm definitely wearing long pants, and I have a heavier THP Sunice 1/4 Zip from the THP Championship a few years back. If there's wind and/or a little light rain I may throw on my Arc'teryx soft shell on top.
Once things get into the 40's and 30's I'm wearing top and bottom Smartwool base layers under my golf shirt and pants, in addition to the stuff in the 50's. Plus I have W/S winter golf gloves. I also have an Arc'teryx light insulated jacket I can wear for additional warmth.

If it's colder than that, I'm not golfing!

So this will be my first year playing cold weather golf in a LONG time.

For me if it's colder than a UA heat whatever mock neck, followed by a 1/4 zip and lightish weight jacket - I'm out. I may add a collared shirt between the UA and the 1/4 zip that's it.

I've acquired quite a few PM 1/4 zips over the last 2 years. They're so versatile, I can't imagine not having one with me for cooler temps. Also picked up a lightweight FJ vest which I love.

I still rock the old school Under Armor Cold Gear when it's called for. I don't like too many top layers if I can avoid it as I feel like it hinders my swing a bunch. I am looking for a good vest this year to see if I can stretch back into some of the colder months I've avoided the last couple of winters.

The Puma Cloudspun Crewneck Sweater is coming for me. I bought a navy version pre-Morgan Cup. I was given a grey one and I am buying a raspberry one that I love.

Little league/fall ball coaching pullover and a Hartford Whalers beanie. Super simple

In the stable, I've got a puma cloudspun, Travis Mathew straight down 1/4 zip. Then, Grylbl and Travis Mathew hoodies.

What do you have in the closet?
What else is out there?
Anything being pondered?

I'm curious to hear about Rhoback and Asher stuff. Also just made aware of UNRL. :unsure:
Hard pondering a Peter Millar 1/4 zip right now.
I will say Peter Millar has insanely comfortable polos. I have one and it is easily one of my favorite polos. So I would have to assume that their 1/4 zips are good as well!

The Puma Crewneck is one of my favorites as well. Warm and comfortable with the fall weather.

see below.

I also have a bunch of quarter zips.

I have a few Adidas 1/4 zips that are extremely comfy and not restrictive at all. I'll also bring a half-sleeve Ahead pullover if there's the potential for rain. Fleece vests are always good for me too.

I have a peter millar lighter hoodie, as well as a Greyson kotako hoodie, both are great as they are pretty thin and can accomodate layering. Also have a couple nice quarter zips that can do similar, one from Municipal that I really like and a Stitch one but, a moth got in and ate a couple holes in it... very disappointed but I have a greyson one that is pretty nice that I can rotate in.

Then I have a few vests, couple adiwarm ones that I really like. I don't wear a lot of stocking caps because I run too hot anyway.

For bottoms, I normally am good with my rhone joggers, Greyson joggers (I have short legs so just want something I won't drag in morning dew and crawl up my pant legs) and a couple pairs of Linksoul pants that have a good length. If it is going to be cooler I might throw on some municipal leggings underneath to keep the legs warm.

been grabbing up layers and bottoms from 32degrees.

I own a lot of outdoor clothing that is built for hiking, skiing, etc. but when the weather turns like it does right now in MN, I'll wear it on the golf course.

My go to pants for windy days when the temperature dips into the 40's or low 50's is the Kuhl Destroyr. I have 4 pairs and where them or jeans most days in MN from November through March. Here's a couple of links to the Kuhl site and a review.

There Transcendr Pants are similar:https://www.rei.com/product/144033/kuhl-transcendr-pants-mens

I have a bunch of Travis Mathew 1/4s, Nike 1/4s and Puma Cloudspun 1/4s. My favorite piece of outerwear right now though are my two Adidas Cold RDY hoodies.

I also like thinner but tighter fitting layers more than bulky/boxy fitting thing

I want to try Rhoback but I just can't get behind the prices. I know TM is pretty pricey too but I've never gotten TM stuff unless it's on sale. I don't see many Rhoback sales but would love to try it.

UNRL looks cool as well. Been getting instagram ads from them FOREVER, but I've never jumped in

Would love try try GRYLBL at some point too

Puma Cloudspun and Straight Down are the lines I both like and love the feel of the fabrics. I am also a fan of Deveraux.

Cloudspun Crew is my go to.

Looking for some 1/4 zips that have a little more warmth than the crew but that doesn't restrict movement.

How is the fit on the Cloudspun Crew?

I still rock the old school Under Armor Cold Gear when it's called for. I don't like too many top layers if I can avoid it as I feel like it hinders my swing a bunch. I am looking for a good vest this year to see if I can stretch back into some of the colder months I've avoided the last couple of winters.
I like the UA cold gear, throw a golf polo over it, then a decent 1/4 zip depending on the wind. If really windy I will throw the rain jacket on and that works perfect. That is usually good for me down to 40° which is my limit.

My go to:

Under armour cold gear long sleeve mock.
Mizuno 1/4 zip long sleeve
Mizuno 1/4 zip Windlite Vest

If more is needed….i dont play.

My go to:

Under armour cold gear long sleeve mock.
Mizuno 1/4 zip long sleeve
Mizuno 1/4 zip Windlite Vest

If more is needed….i dont play.
Need to look into this piece.

Last edited:
Back