False CPM readings

forgeitpls

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys,

I'm new to this site and have a question about CPM readouts.

I have a Mitchell Digiflex and have used it a lot recently. However, I tested a few shafts, (complete clubs, brand new too) recently that made me wonder.

I'm using a 5" clamp and most clubs have had no issue, but I ran across a few that would not read properly. The clubs seemed to actually oval and physically bang the meter. A supposed stiff shaft, same club, reading all sorts of numbers like 110, 128, 210 during the cpm check. All other clubs seemed normal and gave a consistent reading. Not sure what is wrong with these other few...

Has anybody had this happen before?

Is it the meter or the shaft?

Is it a sign of a bad shaft?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Well, at the end of the day, of course it's not the end all be all, but I do use it as part of an overall way to judge the characteristics of a shaft. When you talk about a 100 mph swing vs a 115 mph swing and you're trying to fit each person, the same shaft might not work for both, so I use CPM's as a base line/ starting point. I think if you are using the same unit to test 2 different clubs, it may not be exact, but it'll help more than not.

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought you can't CPM an assembled club

You can measure an assembled club. The Mitchell Digiflex includes clamps for a club with a grip and clamps for a shaft with a weight for the end of the shaft to simulate head weight.

I've had both my driver and my 3wood CPM'ed to match each other. the only issue they had was getting the machine to pick up the pink shaft of my driver. That seems like a very large amount of shaft deflection to be hitting the machine. Not really sure what to think about that one.

Yep, it baffled me too. Every other driver that I measured acted normal and I also check them 3 times each to record the average if necessary. But, for what ever reason, the few oddballs would not give a good reading. Just curious if it's the shaft or maybe something to do with the way the club is balanced or what?

What are cpm's and what is the purpose?

Scap Iron, the CPM's for the shafts in question are all over the place. My original testing was born out of looking for a shaft for my new driver. I ended up going with the Prolaunch Axis Red due to my last driver was an i-mix and the shaft I found that best suited for me was a Prolaunch Platinum 75-S (which tested at 258 CPM's). That led me to think that the Axis Red might perform similar due to some similar technology in it.

After ordering it, and over the next couple days, I tested a few more drivers and found one with an Axis Platinum on it. Naturally I decided to check that. That's when I came across my current quandary. I just don't know why they are act oddly when testing for CPM's. Getting readings like 110, 128, 210 on a stiff shaft, plus the oval pattern it makes, I'm just not sure what to make of it. I tried to email Grafalloy, which is their only form of contact with the public, but they have not responded as of yet (2 weeks and counting).

It's a frequency reading used to test the flex of a shaft. Usually shaft flexes fall within a specific frequency range. But there are variances, so it's just a baseline number to start with. Other factors are considered when choosing the right shaft. The numbers the OP is posting seems really off... especially the "oval" part. When I've gotten my drivers tested for cpm's, they've waved side to side... not in an oval shape.

Forgetit: it could just be the shafts... it's one thing if all shafts were testing with funky numbers that could point to the vice or something related to equipment. Have you tried taking them to someone else to frequency test?

It's a frequency reading used to test the flex of a shaft. Usually shaft flexes fall within a specific frequency range. But there are variances, so it's just a baseline number to start with. Other factors are considered when choosing the right shaft. The numbers the OP is posting seems really off... especially the "oval" part. When I've gotten my drivers tested for cpm's, they've waved side to side... not in an oval shape.

Forgetit: it could just be the shafts... it's one thing if all shafts were testing with funky numbers that could point to the vice or something related to equipment. Have you tried taking them to someone else to frequency test?

Thanks B33RMoney for clearing that question up. I misread his question :shock:

I have not taken them to someone else... These shafts that are not reading properly are consistently a false read. The others are consistently normal. So I can't chalk it up to the meter, especially when I quickly put on a known good shaft and quickly put on the one that read false and still get the same good and odd ball numbers.

Thanks for the input tho guys... still hoping someone has gone thru this before.

Back