Family Tree's, Lineage, Sotries, Etc

kidzwitgunz

Reaction score
Handicap
Noticed another thread around here I was posting on, I was dragging it OT soooooo to correct that I started this one! :D

Post here anything about your family history, tree's etc. Pretty much just gonna start it and go from here! Also any famous people you might/might not be related to, interesting family history stories whatever! This will only be as fun as those who are willing to make it! But remember since this is the internet it is okay to omit names if needed to protect id's etc.

I am Cherokee on both sides with some McAdam's and Butt's (try not to laugh it is a legit and big name in TX think HEB....) in me.

Several great-great, great-grand parents/siblings walked the Trail of Tears and grew up in OK. My great grandad on my father's side was a missionary to the Apache in NM and AZ and my scotch ancestor's fled Scotland in the 1800's to get away from a lord who was trying to kill them so he did not have to pay back what he owed them.

Also one great-great-great something or other on my mom's side killed a man in Weatherford TX, for having an affair with his wife back in late 1890's. Actually walked out into the street, called him, and then drew his pistol and shot him......! Crazy stuff!

Several years ago I started tracking my last name on the internet. I found quite a few folks who had the same last name, but few, if any I could actually prove if we were related or not. I asked my Mother who gave me a few leads on her family side that included some 19th-20th century national politicians, and gang of 19th century out laws that caused some grief in the old west. Politicians, and outlaws, seemed about right.

At one point I made contact with a gentleman with the same last name, and some key matching points in our ancestry. We both cracked up laughing when we first met, since it was quite obvious we were of different races. Both our families spent a nice couple of days together comparing notes. We are still friends to this day.

I was getting close to my Dad's side of the family finding some positive stuff in Beaumont Texas. So I asked my Dad for some more info. He told me he would get back to as he and my step mother were snow birding in Texas. A few days later I get a letter from him saying that I had a step brother, and sister living in Texas from a previous marriage of his. A marriage that neither my mother or my full brothers and sister knew nothing about. My father after some 40 years had decided to look up his previous family, since I was getting close to finding them myself. I had done a good thing. As it turned out my step brother, and sister from Texas were both visiting Vegas on gambling junkets, and we were able to meet one another a few days later, with our father. These are the folks I visit when I travel to Texas.

My Texas step brother is also a into genieology, and has traced our Dad's family back to the 14th century in France. Our Dad's Grand Father was also one of the original Texans who received Texas land grants from whom ever did those things way back then. Now here is the extra fun part. My Mother's Grand Parents, and my Father's Grand Parents were farmers, and ranchers who basically lived, and worked next door to each other in Texas.

With both my parents, the terms "coonass", and "cajun" figure in their ancestry, with the word "coonass" being considered a ethnic slur.

One ancestoral grandfather, several generations removed, crossed the Mississippi River into northeastern Arkansas about 50 miles above Memphis, TN. He claimed the land as far as he could see up and down the river and the two of them set about clearing the land. They lived in a one room cabin without windows and only a trap door in the roof that was accessed by a ladder they took down or hauled up to prevent the bears from getting into their foodstuffs. He began to sell firewood to the riverboats that ran hauled people and freight up and down the river. Other settlers moved into the area. He became friends with one particular captain and named his first born son in honor of this man. In every generation since, the first born son has carried that name forward as either his first or middle name.

As they prospered, he built a sawmill and also began to till the land they had cleared. Eventually, the one room cabin morphed into the traditional "big house" with two story white columns, etc. The homestead became 35,000 acres of some of the richest, most productive farmland in the world and the family was very well off. After the War of Northern Aggression, the family bought up many other farms to consolidate into their holdings and became one of the prominent families in the area.

As is usually the case, the first generation builds it, the second manages it, and the third squanders it. I am living with the results of that legacy. I should be sitting on the plantation veranda sipping on a Mint Julep, but I am just a working stiff from a family with a rich history. There is actually a town in east Arkansas named after my family and a memorial on the courthouse lawn to an ancestor who was a US Senator from that area.

Oh well, nothing to do but put my nose back to the grindstone and dream of better days.

My wife's family, as well as mine are all from Italy. Nothing historic in either one.

My grandfather on my mom's side lived with us as I was growing up. He was a stubborn, hard-working, kind of mean old man. When he was young, he came to the US, leaving his wife in Italy. When he had finally saved enough money, and sent for her join him, she refused - we think she was afraid of him! He eventually re-married here in the US.

Tomorrow is Talk Like a Pirate Day. Yeargh! :pirate:

My ancestors on my mum's side were Scottish pirates. Around 5-6 generations back. One was finally nailed stealing 600 barrels of brandy off of a ship. (Pirates with good taste?) Exported - he wound up in Antigua. Another was caught in India. Another was busted stealing the minister's horse and convicted to spending a month of Sundays sitting in church with his underwear on his head. His sentence was extended when he then punched the minister in the face.

Their last name was Doig, or Doeg, or Dog. They were called the Dogs of Scotland and there's a little poem about them.

I'm not making this stuff up. Often with genealogy, the only records you can find are births, deaths, marriages and convictions. I took a History and Genealogy course in college and hit the jackpot with the convictions...so I did my thesis on pirates and their golden age (and actually did really well judging by my grade).

Both side of the family did the family tree thing recently. The thing that I found out was that on both sides it is so mixed to the smallest of fractions that I just consider myself American.

One of my great Grandmothers, was a bootlegger.

A great-great Grandma was Mary E. Bryan, Author, and worked for the Brer Rabbit/Unlce Remus guy.
I found, and bought, for $300, a letter she wrote, that a organization had in thier possesion.
my first name is Bryan...after her. my feminine side I guess. :)

One of her stories is named "Uncle Ned's White Child" hmmmm...
Married at 15 years old. !
you can read about her here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=raYAAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA145&lpg=PA145&dq=Mary+E.+bryan&source=bl&ots=ZdeR_kU1c7&sig=8gpoy04FnQhdvJ8KsVb554xQEdA&hl=en&ei=cyS0SpmIL4X8tgev2b3FDg&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7#v=onepage&q=Mary%20E.%20bryan&f=false

I am 1/4 Scottish. Paternal Grandpa immigrated.

Maternal Grandpa owned a Sawmill in Alabama, so there's some kind of commonality, C-Tech.
Maternal G-Great Grandpa was Rebel in the Civil war.

I hate to admit this but I am somehow related to Celine Dion.

My brother was doing our family tree on my dad's side and somehow he got hold of hers. Somewhere along the line a bunch of names and dates matched up. He told me more about it but since I'm never going to meet her or see any of all that money, I really don't care! Plus I am not a big fan so that's another reason I really don't care!

Kidz, I have some family in Kansas and Oklahoma named McAdam's with a strong Cherokee background. In fact one of my cousins photographs heritage shots and cherokee dance I think, something like that, lol. I've seen some pretty cool pic's any way.

I am a third generation Japanese American. My maternal grandmother has quite the history. She came to America with the fourth of her five husbands, all of whom predeceased her. This fourth husband is my biological grandfather. He has a name, but it's not his real one. According to my mom, he illegally changed his name sometime back before marrying my grandmother to avoid being "drafted" into the Japanese Imperial Army, but I never got the real name from her. My grandmother's fifth husband is the grandfather I know. I have letters and such from various people to my grandmother, but of course, they're all in Japanese which I can't read, so will I ever learn the history of that side of the family? Maybe I should spend more time studying the Japanese language and less time on golf... Nah. I'll do that when I'm a single-digit handicapper.

Dannyka - Why not just pay someone to translate them for you? Try the Japanese department at a local university.

Dannyka - Why not just pay someone to translate them for you? Try the Japanese department at a local university.
Thanks for that. It's worth looking into.

When I sold my parents farm a few years ago and was cleaning out the house, garage, shed, barn, etc., I found personal family stuff everywhere. My parents never threw a single piece of paper away. It was pretty cool actually. My mom spent her first three high-school years behind barbed wire at a WWII "Relocation Center" and I found out she was quite the artist. Never saw that part of her while growing up.

Anyway, I threw everything that looked interesting into boxes and put it into storage. "One of these days" I'm going to go through those and sort things out and make my "grandma letter pile" to take and have translated.

My MIL's family came to this country in 1635 and DON'T YOU FORGET IT. General Edward Braddock (Braddock's Retreat in the French & Indian War) is a direct ancestor.

My family is all peasants and draft dodgers. I still have cousins in Hungary and met them some years ago when I went over there. That was very cool.

My wife is into the genealogy deal & has been going nuts on ancestry.com as well as other sites. Her family goes back quite a ways, right to the native american indians.

My family has only been here since about 1910 or so. My great grandparents on my mothers side came thru Ellis Island from Florence Italy.

Kidz, I have some family in Kansas and Oklahoma named McAdam's with a strong Cherokee background. In fact one of my cousins photographs heritage shots and cherokee dance I think, something like that, lol. I've seen some pretty cool pic's any way.
Hmmm, far as I know only direct one's I know exist live in Okie City right now, though who knows maybe distant relative's, it's a small world ringing in my ears right now........:D

That would be the "War of Northern Aggression" and it ain't over yet.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Very nice c-tech.

Back