Fashion or item you laughed at, but then turned the corner on and loved?

mancest

Went to the Grandaddy
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I am going to preface this by saying I don't think there are any clothes that will make me actually look good, so comfort, function and least crap looking are the order of importance... In that vein, I laughed at the jogger pants that came about. Being a short fat man I don't need anything to show how skinny my legs are compared to the gravy keg I am carrying on top of them.

But.... being someone who is bigger around than his legs are long, I often fight getting pants that aren't too long, normally sitting right over the shoe on pants is ideal, but when playing in wet rounds the pants have gotten wet and in my most recent round it was wet enough that it traveled up and soaked one of my socks.

While being stuck inside I sought a solution and besides paying to have my pants professionally hemmed (no chance) I came onto joggers.... so I ordered a couple pairs, and honestly, I ******* love them. I look like douche anyway, why not keep my pants/socks dry while doing so? Pair of Puma and a pair of Greyson I caught on sale and I think I am set!

Anything else I should be looking at? Bring the white belt back or what?

Tapered leg or skinny pants. I laughed, but I love them. I especially would have laughed at Lululemon version and those are my favorites.

I used to laugh at guys for wearing square toed cowboy boots. I was looking for a pair of steel toed for work & couldn't find any in my price range that weren't square toe, so I bit the bullet & tried a pair & WOW! Having a wide foot & square toe boots is amazing & probably won't ever go back to none square toe boots.

It isn't gawd awful blade collars or mock necks.
Probably spikeless shoes, because the early versions were so bad and pretty hideous too.

It isn't gawd awful blade collars or mock necks.
Probably spikeless shoes, because the early versions were so bad and pretty hideous too.

Yeah, I did not like the early ones, but love them now. Think I have a couple pair of spiked shoes and can't remember the last time I wore them.

• Appreciation
Reactions: JB
I remember seeing Ernie Els (?) as an early adopter of athletic golf shoes instead of traditional (black or saddle). My initial reaction was “pass”. Fast forward X years...I can’t imagine buying anything other than athletic golf shoes.

Last edited:
Boxer briefs... scoffed, tried, won't wear anything else now

Flat bill hats... I thought they looked ridiculous and were for 10yr olds, but more and more I found myself wearing them and i like the way they look. I can't go back to a regular type of bill on my hats.

Flat bill hats... I thought they looked ridiculous and were for 10yr olds, but more and more I found myself wearing them and i like the way they look. I can't go back to a regular type of bill on my hats.

I prefer flat brims to other options because they sit better over my glasses. I am a walking fashion faux paux I think.

i dont care, im giving joggers a look..
are you talking about the "greyson montauk jogger"? i see them on "trendy golf"

Bucket hats FTW

Bucket hats. I think I look ridiculous in them, but I am still considering buying one or two.

i dont care, im giving joggers a look..
are you talking about the "greyson montauk jogger"? i see them on "trendy golf"

these are the ones I bought, they had a deal last week and got 40% off.

guessing there will be other sales as I am sure all biz are struggling now.

not much, I did have a thing against wayfarers for awhile, but now own some.

A beard.

Flat bill hats are second. I rock them both and get called a hipster all the time. I just sip my craft beer, on my fixie, and tell haters my opinion on things as fact.

I prefer flat brims to other options because they sit better over my glasses. I am a walking fashion faux paux I think.

Same for me with the glasses, and it's ok, we will just play all of our rounds together and be a walking billboard for what not to wear.....but we will have fun doing it.

Same for me with the glasses, and it's ok, we will just play all of our rounds together and be a walking billboard for what not to wear.....but we will have fun doing it.

Yeah, golf like life is a lot more fun when you stop giving a f**k.

A beard.

Flat bill hats are second. I rock them both and get called a hipster all the time. I just sip my craft beer, on my fixie, and tell haters my opinion on things as fact.

i have a beard that is getting bigger by the second (I am not trimming until I can golf again) and in my next round I will be: using a Jones golf bag, wearing joggers, a flat bill and True Linkswear spikeless shoes.... I just need to buy a TIE and get some blades and wood clubs to complete the full golf hipster transition.

Last edited:
i have a beard that is getting bigger by the second (I am not trimming until I can golf again) and in my next round I will be: using a Jones golf bag, wearing joggers, a flat bill and True Linkswear spikeless shoes.... I just need to buy a towel and get some blades and wood clubs to complete the full golf hipster transition.

you need to bring back the Lou Albano rubber band beard. I envision a man bun on your chin.

you need to bring back the Lou Albano rubber band beard. I envision a man bun on your chin.

I might braid it before this is all over.....

White Belts? Does that count, because yes.

I hated jogging pants with the bunched elastic, I wore baseball pants that covered my ankles, I’m not buying that joggers are acceptable on the golf course. They do and always will look ridiculous just like long socks with shorts haha

My buff. Thought they were stupid. Then started bicycling. Seemed kind of practical. Then Covid-19 came along. Seemed more than practical. Now wearing it over a mask when we go out for a walk, stylish and practical.

Joggers and vests. I have two pair of Under Armour joggers that are great and vests are really useful for layering in cold New England rounds.

Back