This is what annoys me too. I almost get more annoyed when my playing partners don't play ready golf. I usually feel out the guys I am playing with the first hole or two and let them know not to worry about offending me by going out of turn. That gets most people comfortable to play ready golf.

Good rounds are hard to come by for me. But the best round I've had in a while happened a few months ago when the marshall was asking everyone on the course to play ready golf. Things were moving faster. I wasn't paying attention to anything but my ball. I got into a better groove with that. I remember saying I wish they could do that every day. We finished in 3 hours and 20 minutes. And it was pretty busy that day. I haven't seen that marshall since. I wish he'd come back.

Good rounds are hard to come by for me. But the best round I've had in a while happened a few months ago when the marshall was asking everyone on the course to play ready golf. Things were moving faster. I wasn't paying attention to anything but my ball. I got into a better groove with that. I remember saying I wish they could do that every day. We finished in 3 hours and 20 minutes. And it was pretty busy that day. I haven't seen that marshall since. I wish he'd come back.
Yeah, a good Marshall helps. I wish courses would have a marshalls coming through making sure there isn't a group that has a two hole gap in front and a pile up behind every 45 minutes or so. It would help so much. I mostly like playing sub 4 hour rounds and ready golf because I play better. Not really the time. Just when I have to sit in the fairway or tee box for 10 minutes waiting slow play it annoys me.

I'm up at my lake place, and got another early tee time for tomorrow. Hopefully it's another "not slow" round.

😎

If you're asking me, the answer is no. We had 3 push carts and 2 carry bags (or maybe 2 and 3). Carts slow things down unless everyone has their own and I don't see a course that's gonna let 5 carts out on one tee time.
Idiots not using carts right slow them down. Everything being equal on a empty course carts are way faster. Now on a weekend with every time booked carts and walking are the same.
Now cart path only is different though.

Idiots not using carts right slow them down. Everything being equal on a empty course carts are way faster. Now on a weekend with every time booked carts and walking are the same.
Well, carts are faster when there is only one person in it. Two people in a cart have to be playing really well to push me walking to keep up with them.

Drop guy at ball let him grab club yardage, go to your ball and get your club yardage ready, guy hits ball then starts walking to cart while you hit. Much faster then walking. This is vs 2 walkers, apples to apples. Not much point in saying one walker is faster then 4 dudes in 2 carts. Of course he is.

Drop guy at ball let him grab club yardage, go to your ball and get your club yardage ready, guy hits ball then starts walking to cart while you hit. Much faster then walking. This is vs 2 walkers, apples to apples. Not much point in saying one walker is faster then 4 dudes in 2 carts. Of course he is.

My clone and I wouldn't play much slower than I would alone. I mean, the only time we couldn't be playing at the same time would be on the tee and on the green. We'd have no need to drop one another off and go pick the other back up, etc.

Now, I am someone that was good at hockey. Not quite pro equivalent, but + index equivalent. I don't get upset on the course of I'm in a slow round because, well, I'M ON THE COURSE. I'm not super serious about anything except having fun.

I'm far from super serious, but recently played Bluff Creek with some friends and it took about 5 hours for a group of mediocre, but not terrible (85-100 scores) golfers in their 30s! Two of the guys, one in particular, were so damn methodical with every shot, it was unreal. Two full practice swings plus plenty of time staring and lining up - it was worse than watching Bryson on TV!

I'm far from super serious, but recently played Bluff Creek with some friends and it took about 5 hours for a group of mediocre, but not terrible (85-100 scores) golfers in their 30s! Two of the guys, one in particular, were so damn methodical with every shot, it was unreal. Two full practice swings plus plenty of time staring and lining up - it was worse than watching Bryson on TV!

We went off early at Bluff Creek a few weeks ago on Sunday morning. It took a little less than 5 hours.

It wasn't horrible, but I'd never played there before, so I was actually paying attention to the course.

I play a course that will let me out as a single before their normal tee sheet starts. I play an average 2:20 for a round, 2:14 is my best. I love fast golf.

Fast golf being far superior to slow golf is the sentiment the vast majority of us share. There are so many simple ways to speed things up and so many oblivious golfers who'll never adopt any of them. For years there has been tons of focus directed at slow play and it is only getting worse not better IMO. :cry:

I played a solo round yesterday. I was never pushed by others, and I never caught up with anyone. I did have twosomes in front, and in back of me. Never were we ever close to being on the same hole.

I played at my normal pace. Took some extra time on some shots. Not so much on others. Didn't stop at the turn either.

It was a less than a 3.5 hour round for me.

It would have been even shorter if I had played to my normal score, but for the most part I played poorly, carding a much higher (10 strokes) score than I am use to.

When I returned home my wife thought I only played 9 holes since I back so soon.

Barely over two hours on a cart, alone, in rain today. It was glorious.

I mean, besides the back nine snowman without even going OB on a five, it was glorious......

Knowing the exact distance is important and helpful to the better players. On the other hand, don't ya just love the weekend warriors who struggle to break 90 and still feel they need to annoy everyone by getting out a range finder and eventually working out the shot is exactly 162 yards.... only to prove yet again they have no hope in the world of pulling any club that goes 162 yards - or close to that....unless it's a happy accident.

You know, I really take offense here. Golf is hard. If you find people who have trouble breaking 90 using a rangefinder annoying there's a few choice words I have for you. Perhaps you won't mind if I pulled my 4H and hit into you from 200 yds because I "can't hit the ball 162 yds." People duff shots. Drivers go astray. So if you have problems with people who have trouble breaking 90, you should consider joining an elite country club where you're not bothered by us unwashed masses. But until then, you'll have to wait for me to use my rangefinder.

Love me some fast golf. Fastest for my was 1 hour 3 minutes for 18 in a cart. Was just trying to see how fast I could go

My very best scores come when I clock in between around 3 to 3 and a half hours. There is no reason a decent player cannot play 18 in this time frame.

I remember when I was younger my group always used the push carts. We would get there before everyone else with no tee time. It would still be dark. The club house was still closed. We would ask the first group with tee time if they mind if we teed off. They had no problem because it was too dark for them still. We would each kneel down behind the guy hitting and watch the ball in the sky when it was barely getting lighter. By the second hole the sun was almost up and we could see fine. We usually finished in a little over 3 hours. By 9 AM we would be eating breakfast at our favorite Mexican breakfast cafe.

I do use a cart most times now. The one thing I don't like about using the cart is taking a wedge out with my putter when I'm in the greenside rough. Walking to the ball and after reviewing the lie, I realize I'd rather use a different wedge. But I don't want to waste time going back to the cart getting another wedge so I just use the one I have. Which usually doesn't turn out so well.

Back