Favorite distance to the green

Daluteh

Touring Purple - 2024 Bag Boy Championship
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
We've had a lot of talks about hitting it long, hitting it short and how often the pro's hit the ball onto the green from certain yardages.

Is there a specific yardage (and club) that you really enjoy?

For me I really enjoy about 30 yards with my 60* club (from a confidence perspective) but I also really like about 110 yards with my 43* PW. The first one is a kind of 3/4 swing with not a lot of velocity and the other one is a full swing with a good strike.

probably 105-110yds---it's a really comfortable gap wedge. That's the distance where i stop getting better until about 30yds LOL.

Like, from 60yds i'm not necessarily hitting it closer than 110. In fact i'm probably more likely to screw it up

I love having 150yds into the green. The comfort I have with holding an 8i in my hand is second to none. Outside of that I would have to say 60-70 yds is another distance I like having.

90-100 yards is the closest for me that I'd call a favorite - that's a full AW swing for me and I'm pretty comfortable with that distance.

Full wedge into the green. Any of them as long as it’s a full stock shot.

130 yards.

That's typically a full 50° for me. When in doubt, I lay up there.

Last edited:
I'm very confident hitting 3 wood, for me 190 is a pure 3W - straight & true. No better feeling than hitting a green from distance.

Don’t really have one. If I can hit the green with the next shot, then I’m happy.

My 50 had a good run in 2021 from 115 yards. It has become a favorite club and distance.

135 is perfect 9 iron for me. comfortable and accurate!

Obviously, in all things golf, closer is better.

For me, it depends on what's between my ball and the green. Forced carries have alot to do with my favorite approach yardages. Anything 100 yards and closer is ok with me.

That said, I'm most comfortable with 50-60 yard shots to the green. I often play holes to get to those approach yardages. (Lay ups)

At 50-60 yards, I usually give myself a decent chance at a 1 putt. I practice this distance quite often with my 56*, and 60* degree wedges.

Last edited:
i'm pretty comfortable anywhere from 75y to 135y. i feel comfortable hitting different shot shapes and trajectories to hit the desired distance. if i'm laying up on a par 5, i'm hoping to be 80y-95y for my 3rd shot.

120 GW is pretty stock for me. Under 120 math comes into play and gets interesting. I am pretty good at 90 but other than that it all runs together

100 yards. It is a smooth 54* for me.

Anywhere from 70-110 is my sweet spot. I've very confident with my 56º and my gap wedge. Because of my short knocker status I know I'm never reaching a par 5 in two so my play is to layup to that yardage.

90-95... 52* for the pin seeker!

115-125 in. Solid PW/9 for me. I can take a good full swing. Those 70-110 shots require a bit more finesse for me. Choking up or trying to control the distance. Tends to bring out my swing flaws more than most shots. 60 in I’m good. And trying to stretch my 50-60 shot into 70-80 just doesn’t work. So I’d much rather be at 120 than 75 in most situations.

I am super impressed by how many triple digits there are here. We've got a lot of confidence, not that we shouldn't. I was really expecting to see more flop / chip shots that were 30-60 yards.

110 is solid for my 50° wedge

100 works for me, but 95-135 is good too.

I am super impressed by how many triple digits there are here. We've got a lot of confidence, not that we shouldn't. I was really expecting to see more flop / chip shots that were 30-60 yards.
Chalk me up for the 30 yard camp. I love a low runner from that yardage, or a nice little high hop and stop. Hitting a ball with a stick is fun.

Back