Favorite fairway wood ever?

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
What’s your favorite fairway wood ever? What made it so special?

• Staff
Mine was this gem, the 816 Alpha

Insanely good.

47931792-9AB1-45BE-901C-5C2FCCDD06BA.jpeg

tie between tm r5 dual, and og v steel

Not a fun response because it is a new club, but muy gawd the Sim Ti 5 wood has brought many smiles to my face. The stock shaft was garbage in it for me, but with the Diamana I have in it now, it is incredible. It really surprised me. I didn’t think it could be so good.

Edit: honorable mention to an old RBZ tour issue 5 wood I have that served me very well.

My Big Bertha Alpha 815. I love that thing still and have not found one that I hit better off the deck to this day

81FdPcCde-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

My GBB 3 wood (lifted up to 16 degrees) is still such a good club for me. Great off the tee, and not too shabby off the deck when struck well. It is a launcher for me.

Callaway big Bertha 815 or Taylormade r9 , Orlimar Tri metal

Epic 7W I could hit that thing easy and the distance I needed.

Callaway Steelhead 3w. I was confident hitting off the tee or off the deck.

It’s a tie between the original Exotics and MacGregor NVG. Both were way ahead of their time

Taylormade Burner 2007 - 7 wood is still in the bag. It just launches the ball from just about any type of lie.

XHot Pro 5 wood. Still in my bag all these years later despite many challengers that have failed to kick it out.

The only one I have ever owned, my Titleist 910 D3. Have always liked it, when I get a hold of it boy it soars.

I loved loved loved the Nike Sq fairway. The driver? Not so much

Even though I’ve never owned one the Exotics Ti Beta was ridiculously awesome. I remember hitting shot on I think 16 at Copperhead off the tee and @JB said you know...you are probably where Rory was last week haha obviously we weren’t playing the tips

Last edited:
I still use Adams 9032ti i try others but always come back to it

I had this ping zing 2 3 wood for quite some time through high school. Loved it, it was a club I had so much confidence in, I hit it beautifully.
A6F71A34-0952-45B1-B384-0A022ACB0565.jpeg

Tour Edge Exotics EX10 Beta 4 and 5 wood - have the 3 wood head but leaning to the new EXS 220

I played the Callaway Steelheads forever!

Up until last year I would have told you the Ashton X-1, it was a mainstay in my bag for over 10 years. That was until the Ben Hogan GS53 kicked it clean out of the bag! Matched with a Tense Blue stiff shaft, they just flat out perform!

My current gamer. It works for me off the tee or deck, is plenty long and straight.

I've never gotten along with a fairway wood as well as the two I have now but picking one, I will go with my Cobra F9. The combo of that head and the HZRDUS Red shaft cut down a half inch is one of my most consistent clubs now. I actually feel confident with it in my hands whether it's off the deck or on the tee box.

The Mavrik 5W I'm currently playing. Before that, it would have been the old, old Big Bertha knockoff 9W I used to carry. Even if my game was a complete dumpster fire, I could get a decent shot out of that club.

I haven’t been playing all that long but the Epic Flash Strong turned up 2 deg is a freak. I hit is far and it’s becoming my go to club when I have the room to use it.

Back