Favorite fairway wood ever?

Cobra F8 - 5W. Looks great, sounds better. Baffler system is super nice in fairways and light rough. Launch is just where I’d want it.

Easily the Rogue. That thing was automatic for me from the tee and pretty effective off the deck. It was old faithful when I needed it, I never should have got sold it :banghead:.

I've only every played two fairway woods. An old Taylormade R7 with a steel shaft that I picked up at golf galaxy for 40 back in hs, and the 915f that is currently in my bag. I'd probably say the 915F. I'm usually able to play that at 260-240 off the tee and just fairway hunt with it off the tee.

Laughs are coming for this I am sure...

api9rhwqu__39374.1556165072.500.750.jpg
I am leaning it was the shaft Aldila NVS...flys nicely and so easy to hit.

20200511_214914.jpg

I haven't tried as many as some, but the M4 Tour was the best I found when I went looking. Weight forward, easy to lift, but rocket trajectory, sounded good, everything. It could play it long, work it, shape it, spin it, just loved it. Broke my heart to sell it, and I will never do that again until the replacement is actually in hand.

Last edited:
I had this ping zing 2 3 wood for quite some time through high school. Loved it, it was a club I had so much confidence in, I hit it beautifully.
View attachment 8942628
I had this and the driver with GLoomis shafts. It was quite good.

915fd and ex10 beta are tied for me

At this point it has gotta be the Big Bertha Alpha 816.

Callaway V series heavenwood. Long and straight off the tee or deck.

Laughs are coming for this I am sure...
I am leaning it was the shaft Aldila NVS...flys nicely and so easy to hit.
I never hit that version of the Launcher, but I still have and use my original Launcher from the early 2000's. Some great shots have been made with that thing.

42548g-cleveland-launcher-4-fairway-wood-17-deg-graphite-gold-stiff-flex-42548g__41325.1526076759.1280.1280.jpg

Easily the Callaway 816 Alpha 16*, I picked up a cobra big tour 3 wood this year but after 2 rounds the 816 may so back in the bag. It is just go good

Mine would have to be either my Epic Flash SZ 3wd or my M5 5wd. If I liked something else better, then I'd obviously still be gaming it.

TaylorMade r11 tour might be one of my favourite ever based on tenure.

I need to debate this internally a bit more. Or, someone should sway me haha

Still game this as well. Love it, and use it especially on these harder fairways of South Carolina

Cobra F8 - 5W. Looks great, sounds better. Baffler system is super nice in fairways and light rough. Launch is just where I’d want it.

This for me too. I changed the stock Aldila NV 2kxv Blue reg to F6 Baffler stiff shaft (approx 2" shorter). Plays like hybrid, hits like FW.

This for me too. I changed the stock Aldila NV 2kxv Blue reg to F6 Baffler stiff shaft (approx 2" shorter). Plays like hybrid, hits like FW.
Is the swingweight not crazy low?

Is the swingweight not crazy low?
Nope. With stock shaft it was a bit too heavy feeling. With shorter shaft it feels a touch light but I'm able to control it well and it swings fast.

When the 3w makes it into the back it is still my trusty rocketballz. Only one I’ve ever been able to remotely hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven’t ever found one that I have got along with. 😢

Current: Epic Flash 7W - consistent reliable baby draw when used off the tee instills confidence on those short par 4s

Recent past: Cobra F7 3-4W - similar as above - consistent club that didn’t fade on me -old reliable off the tee and the rails worked off the turf.

Distant past: callaway diablo - the shape of the club just fit my eye at the time.

This bad boy right here. I still have it because I played it for so long into the 2000's. One of the best sole designs for a shallow swing that there ever was. Which brings me to another point. Don't get rid of a fairway wood you love. They aren't progressing at the speed of drivers and new tech has less of an impact due to the size of the head being smaller. If you have a long club you're confident in, keep hitting it.
15892795282556396448194985303867.jpg

Right now it's my TEE EX10 Beta. Good off the tee or the fairway for me!

Cobra F9 3 and 5 woods. 5 woods is a killer. 3 wood not so much. You have to really swing fast on the 3 wood to perform and I cannot always get that max compression.

Was at a tee box with another guy and he hit a 3 wood and I hit my F9 5w and I hit it about 20 yards farther than he hit his 3 wood. He said something like, "You hit your 3 wood a lot farther than I did." I said, that was my 5 wood. It was one of those good moments. :cool: :clapp:

I had a Nickent 4W that was pretty sweet.. Found it in a bargain bin while out traveling. This was about the time Nickent golf was going out of business.

This Nickent club replaced my 5W, and in some instances, even my 3W. .

It was just an easy club to hit. I enjoyed great distance, and accuracy with it.

At some point, my daughter talked me out of it when started getting into the game. She used it for a few years, and then passed it on to another family member.

Yesterday, after about 10-15 years I saw this club again. It was in my Cousin's Granddaughter's bag. It looked pretty worn, but the new grip gave it new life To say this club has "made the family rounds" would be an understatement.

This is hard.

Some highlights for 3 wood:

Cobra LTD (cracked)
Cobra F9 (current gamer)
Taylormade M2 Tour '17 (on number 2)

Objectively, LTD was probably my favorite. However, I've never tried a Callaway fairway and I would be lying if I didnt say Taylormade makes consistently one of the best fairways year over year.

Back