Favorite fairway wood ever?

Powerbuilt Citation 4 Wood.....👍

Until very recently it was my Grandaddy fitted Cally V Series, both 3 & 5 wood. I have added an Epic Flash 3w and my eyes have been opened to the technology of the new clubs. It is just as easy to hit, but carries about 20-30 yards longer. As Phil would say...bombs.

It would have to be my current fairway woods. Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood adjusted -1 and Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood adjusted -1. The Epic Flash 7 wood beat out my Callaway Steelhead Plus 7 wood. The Epic Flash 5 wood replaced my Taylormade RBZ 3HL fairway wood.

It'd be the only ones I have... RBZ 7w and Stage 2 3w... I don't have a 5w because there was never a used one for me to pick up... although I did see one recently still in the plastic at the store... I didn't want to spend $79 on it... a bit overpriced in my opinion for a several years old club... never hit or not is beside the point.

V Series Heavenwood and it is not close. It is the only fairway wood that I carry. It has saved my rear soooo often. I can hit it off of the deck with ease, I can tee the ball up and I get the same ball flight every single time. High and straight. I cannot imagine it ever leaving the bag.

I had a couple in the old days I really liked I had the Taylor Made Burner Tour Spoon the bronze colored one and the Titleist Pro Trajectory. I had the PTs in 13,15 and 17* lofts.

I don’t think any of them would beat the M6 14* I have right now.

I don’t believe I’ve had one that clearly outperformed all the others I’ve tried.

My preference would be any lower spinning design with an adjustable hosel/adapter and moveable weights.

This bad boy right here. I still have it because I played it for so long into the 2000's. One of the best sole designs for a shallow swing that there ever was. Which brings me to another point. Don't get rid of a fairway wood you love. They aren't progressing at the speed of drivers and new tech has less of an impact due to the size of the head being smaller. If you have a long club you're confident in, keep hitting it.
View attachment 8942661

I still use this same club in the 3+ version. Have tried a few things in the past but wasn't able to hit anything better so I still use it. Close to 25 years in the bag for me.

Cleveland VAS 3 Wood. This club was easy to hit and crazy long. I played one for 13 years and it would have been longer if my clubs wouldn’t have been stolen.

8477E576-388B-4058-84B6-9BE1F7ED35D5.jpeg

TaylorMade Burner 5 wood. I still have it in my bag. I try to replace it, but haven't found anything that matches the performance consistently.

The old Callaway Warbird 3 wood I had was so dependable it was ridiculous. I wish I still had it, but unfortunately I sold it a long time ago for something newer and shinier.
What an idiot !

I had a Mizuno 3 wood I loved. Also a B-Stone three that was $$. I wonder if we keep FW's longer than anything in the bag.

Ping K15 5w with a Miyazaki Kusala white shaft. Found the shaft in a $10 used Mashie 5w so I had it pulled and put into the K15. When my swing and game were rubbish this club made me look much better than I was. Easy 195-205 down the middle nearly every time. Wish I had it back. Crazy thing is I sold it to Play It Again sports. And not sure why. About 6 months later I saw it on the used rack at a local shop. Nearly bought it back but somebody beat the head to crap so I passed. Looking back I should have bought it back just for the shaft. Loved the effortless launch it provided. Grrrrr

Ping G400...Got rid of it, but am going back...

Callaway V series heavenwood. Long and straight off the tee or deck.
Another V Series Heavenwood believer here so I was just going to post the exact same thing! It is an amazing club that I can count on every time. The gift that keeps on giving.

Nike SQ 2

images

I know the tech these days is so much better, but I loved these fairways. The center rail was V Steel like and it was so good off the turf and from the rough.

Some more modern choices...I really liked the 2014 Big Bertha line of FW's and I thought SLDR S fairways were incredibly good. V Series Heavenwood still reigns supreme too for a specific fairway model.

Ping G30 5 wood. Closest thing I've had to point and shoot. Right behind it is a TaylorMade System 2 7 wood.

I have loved my Snake Eyes Viper 3 wood ever since I put in a Cobra 65g Baffler shaft in it. My favorite fairway wood by far.
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200513083114731_COVER.jpg

KIMG2966.JPG

Much better off the tee with it than from the fairway, but it got the job done for what I needed at the time. I've got the 18* 5-wood, too, but never got along as well with it. I might need to give these a few swings again soon.

It would have to be my current Mizuno ST190 TS, just ahead of my previous Adams Super LS. The Adams was longer......like as long as my driver, but the Mizuno is just sooo easy to split fairways with on tight holes, and still plenty long. It actually fills the gap between my driver and 3 hybrid better than the Adams. I loved the rockets off the face of the Adams, but it could be a bit wild at times. The Mizuno is just boring. 250ish in the middle off the tee, any time you want it. I have days where if my driver is misbehaving, I don't even care. Off the deck, they are about the same. I can't think of a lot of people that would say 3w off the deck is a high confidence scenario anyway. ST190 TS for me, but I would be ok if I was still rocking the Super LS.

Coming here in 2023 to say Callaway Steelhead (original version) 3W and 5W. I cannot hit a bad shot with those! I still use them. Also the Warbird from the 1990's are still in and out of my bag as I rotate in clubs I love. The Warbird 4+ wood is money and feels so good. I also have the Warbird 7W. I like them in the steel Memphis shaft best as I feel I have better control with steel. (My Steelhead 3W is the stock graphite, and I don't want to change a thing because that club has magic in it!).

I agree with the earlier statement that says when you find a fairway wood(s) you love, hang on to them! I am always surprised when I hear someone say they loved a certain club and it was money for them, or they had total confidence in it and hit it so well, only to have them talking about it in past tense. Why do people sell the clubs they love or hit so well? My entire bag (irons, putter, and fairways) are all from the 1990's and I still use all of them. I hit them really well, feel confident in them, and have a very soft spot in my heart for them (you could say they feel as comfortable as a favorite pair of jeans or comfy pair of favorite shoes).

As I get older, I have little stress about trying to hit it the farthest. It's not even a goal I go chasing. I want to hit my clubs straight and will take control over the extra yards I may get with newer stuff. But then again, I rarely stress over my score or handicap. I just love to play, and any day out on the course is a good day. I feel like a dinosaur sometimes when I talk about how much I love my "antique" clubs, or get the strange look at the golf course when I pull out my bag with my Tommy Armour 845s irons, and my 1990's Callaway fairway woods. My putter is a Wilson 8802.
I don't see myself ever upgrading (I actually have a back up set of TA 845's in case I wear these out...ha, ha).

Last edited:
Macgregor mac tec. It was so freaking good.

I may have a new one.

Ex10 beta!

Back