JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Two rules!
1. It can’t be in your home state.
2. You have to have played it.

The 9th hole at Rivers Edge in Shallotte, NC is a fantastic hole. Challenging with tons of risk/reward.
1613832538297.png

Oh damn! Not in the home state makes it harder hahaha

Number one at Shady Oaks is special to me because of the story of Mr. Hogan before he passed going out and striping one. Plus, that felt like the start of a walk on hallowed ground.

Wow what a question. I know that no matter which hole I pick I'm going to think of another one later..... Fortunately @JB narrowed the options from 200 plus down to 100ish by ruling out home.

I'll go with the 3rd hole of the Mountain course at Ventana Canyon. It required constructing the green on top of the side of a mountain, and uses and advanced heating and cooling system underneath to keep the frost off during the winter and keep it from burning up during the summer.

P1030858.JPG

#12 at Tidewater when I was in the Carolinas 9EB205DF-F6DA-451A-B0E8-077D5208D36C.jpeg

great question
so many good ones​
so I chose from the par threes that made me think​

out of state
  • Makai at Princeville #3
    • greenie off the tee/long putt for the bird
    • will never forget
    • bought the poster

in state
  • Torrey Pines South #3
  • Pebble #7

Last edited:
Since it can’t be in NY and I have to have played the hole, it would be the 18th hole on the Blue Monster Course at Doral.

Was gonna say #3 ar true blue but that violates rule number 1.

Gotta say #5 at tobacco road :)

#18. Hideaway. Clive Course.

Hmmmm, this is a tough question. Right now I would say this hole in the Smokies. Sky High at Gatlinburg Golf Course 7R2NOwj.jpg

12.jpg12th hole at Old Head, Was also fave of a bud who passed and we made a return and spread his ashes on the tee box bottom middle of pic. RIP Doug See

3rd hole at Mauna Kea Golf Resort.
MVIMG_20180323_091828.jpg

I've played a lot of great holes in my life on some of the best courses in the world. But, I'm going to pick one that immediately jumped in my mind, and one which a lot of THPers will relate to and have also played in a number of THP events. That's number 18 at Caledonia. It's not a long hole, but is challenging, not just because there is water all carry on the approach, but the green is absolutely diabolical. You can hit that green, but that doesn't mean the ball will stay on it.

Caledonia #18.jpgCaledonia #18.jpg

Sand hollow, I think it is number 15. Par 3 you have to hit through a little canyon opening...

Number 10 Sea Island Plantation, short par four playing away from the Ocean. Great Risk Reward HolePlantation-10.png

All my favourite holes are in my now home state of California, with the 18th at Pebble Beach being my favourite. Out of my home state, I’d have to think of back home in the UK. Some courses stick out in my mind, but no specific holes.

Visually, it would be either 9 or 18 of the Ocean Course at Hammock Beach.

From a play perspective, I really like 18 at the Conservatory and the 17th at PGA National because of the risk-reward both offer. 18 @ Conservatory isn’t overly long but, as a closing par 5, you can go big as much as you like. If you’re a little off, you’ll pay. 17 at PGAN is just stunningly difficult and beautiful. You can’t help but peak at the right side hole location no matter how hard you try to look left.

The 18th at Doral Blue Monster. Iconic and tough. I played a bunch of times one winter and made a birdie.

#14 Mahogany Run GC, St. Thomas, USVI -- Par 3, 160 yd back/147 yd middle/120 yd forward, Photo is from back tee

View attachment 8994349
Great call. I wish someone would take on the reclamation. No golf is the only reason St. John isn’t my 10000000000000% dead certain retirement spot.

There are so many spectacular holes at Rum Point, in Ocean City.... but #18 is just a fun and memorable way to finish a round after a Boy’s Weekend Event...

Probably one of my favorite holes in VA is #12 Par 6 at Meadows Farms. It's a fun hole that requires 3 or 4 good shots to get a look at eagle or birdie. I've eagled it before & what's nice about the course is that they give you a plaque for an eagle on this hole or a hole in one anywhere on the course. I have a plaque with a picture of the hole on it. Pretty cool (y)

Meadows.PNG

longesthole.jpg

Back