Favorite Golf Hole?

Way too hard to pick a favorite! One of the holes I used to LOVE to play, and one of my all-time favorite memories comes from this hole on Granite Falls in Sun City, AZ (I think #13 on the South course but not too sure). Anyway, it is a driveable par-4 only if you hit a 300-yard carry drive with a slight fade that lands in the apron. No other way to get onto the green and keep it on the green. Anyway, we were playing validate and my brother had just birdied the hole before - he needed to validate on this hole and he would have made 13 skins as no others had been made and validated up to this point (validate means that if you make a skin on a hole, you need to win or tie the low score on the next hole to "validate" the skin; otherwise it erases the skin).

Anyway, he sees me pull driver and he's just torn apart as to whether he should lay up or go for it. It's his honor obviously and he says "you'll never drive that green". So he plays a 3-iron down the middle with a flip wedge in. I was last to play and hit the perfect drive for this hole - it landed on the apron, kicked slightly right and looked like it was going to be up there (we couldn't actually see the most of the green). Anyway, he sticks his wedge to about 4-feet and when we get up there, I'm 10-feet away for eagle. Which I of course drain to spoil his skin. He birdied and would have easily validated if I hadn't made the deuce! Great hole and great memory!
GF 13.PNG

The 8th hole at Pebble Beach

Tee off near the tip of the peninsula. Blind tee shot with a big rock / house as your target, with a definite number to hit. Then the 2nd shot over the cliffs - elevation change and wind come into play. What an incredible golf hole. Just phenomenal
View attachment 8994625
Closest I've come to playing this beauty (closest I may ever come) is playing the tribute hole on Tour 18 in Humble, TX. All that's missing is the ocean, the breeze, the history and the moment. Yeah, not very close at all...

What a beautiful hole! And I remember many pros who have been 10-feet off the front fringe and went on to make a double-bogey!

Two rules!
1. It can’t be in your home state.
2. You have to have played it.

Well come April - the first hole i play will be the first entry...

as of today, no rounds outside of OH but that changes with Shaft Up in April and California Trip in May!

The first tee at Torrejon Air Base Spain. It's elevated. Real pretty.

Mine is #7 on Old Mac at Bandon Dunes. My ashes are planned to be scattered over the back cliff (if you played it, you know what I am talking about).

Hole #16 at Paiute Snow course. @jdtox and I had a good time marveling at how blue the water was that day!

1614202618446.png

There are so many holes, but the 18th at Hammock Beach might be my favorite I have played. Such a beautiful finishing hole and to sit out on the deck after with a drink thinking about the round and watching others play in was just so relaxing and satisfying.

9C1661C0-1348-4AF5-B0E5-ACC3430B03BB.jpeg

Either #13 at Eagle Ridge in Louisa KY or #3 at River Islands in Kodak, TN. 13 you tee off 300ft above the fairway. 3 is all carry over the French Broad River. This will probably change after Payne’s Valley, Ozark National, and Buffalo Ridge later this month

DBCC57FB-AB90-4D25-8893-0DFF1BDFA8B1.jpeg
DA6A485C-A3CB-4673-852B-97EF495F896F.jpeg

Last edited:
1615580692360.png

Coeur D'Alene #14

So very different and memorable. Plus had good vibes there playing 1 under for the weekend.

Last edited:
Outside of my area, it would probably be the 10th hole on the Brabazon course at The Belfry

Stood on the tee, it teases you into thinking about trying to drive the green, but with trees and bunkers long and right, and water short and left, you need to hit a perfect shot to hold the green, as being in any of the bunkers will leave you with a downhill lie hitting towards water

Really difficult to pick just one, since there have been lots I've really loved over the years. I think I'm going to go with one that hasn't been mentioned yet though which is definitely right up around the top, #12 at Sand Hollow's Championship Course in Hurricane, UT. It's an average to long par 4 (depending on tee choice) that is perched on the edge of a cliff in some of the most spectacular country in Southern Utah. It isn't an easy hole either - though there's not a ton of trouble and the fairway is bigger than it looks from the tee, it plays directly uphill, so you need 2 pretty solid shots to get home. Once you're home the green is anything but easy, as it's heavily contoured. Super memorable hole, both visually and design wise.

SandHollow-BOAerial12.jpg

There are many famous holes I can't wait to play. Of the ones I have played, 17th at Kiawah's Ocean Course stands out to me. With a helping wind off the ocean it will blow your ball towards the green and the left. But with the opposite wind, the hole increases in length and makes it quite difficult. I hit my shot a bit thin and wound up in the back rough.
OCean Course 17.jpg

Well come April - the first hole i play will be the first entry...

as of today, no rounds outside of OH but that changes with Shaft Up in April and California Trip in May!
Well, which one is it?

Both of my trips to Monterey were amazing. So many great golf holes. Hard to choose.

#3 at Spyglass comes to mind.

I hit PW the first year, 6i the next, haha. Same yardage

5DCC9DC9-9F87-48C7-B676-1755E33978D0.jpeg

18 at Harbour Town

Harbout Town 18.jpeg

It’s a tie between 13 and 14 at Tobacco Road. 13 probably has the edge just because of how picturesque the walk up to the green was
143DE6C8-A1E2-45E8-BC59-C350C0359C14.jpeg80B84D68-B106-4144-8C4D-BA248995506C.jpeg

All of my favorite holes have been in-state, most notably at various Pinehurst courses. I’m sure this will change next month after my trip to Erin Hills and Whistling Straits.

If I had to pick out of state, it’s probably the Par 3 7th at Lancaster Golf Club in SC. The entire front nine is just flat out “fun” (it’s a Donald Ross design). But this is probably the most memorable hole there. Large island green (see pic) always makes for excitement.

Attachments

• 931C99E4-111B-427D-8670-0B1B36C8963D.jpeg
    931C99E4-111B-427D-8670-0B1B36C8963D.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 6
It's been said by others but it's #18 at the Ocean Course at Hammock Beach. I played it terribly but man what a visually stunning hole.

The Gambler at Myrtle Beach North. Par 5 you can hit to an island and have a short shot in on or play it safe and have a long shot in.

Trump National in LA. #18 popped into my head first. We played it from the tips and I carded a 4, so I got that going for me.

The drone video doesn't capture the volcano tee box. It's a tough hole. You can never go wring when playing next to the ocean.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
#3 at Caledonia is such a beautiful par 3, I think that's probably my favorite.

I might choose #5 at Bethpage Black. Such a challenging hole when pin is tucked left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 at Bay Harbor golf club, the links. 500 yard par 5 with a cliff on the right and heather on the left. Beautiful Lake Michigan is about 60 ft below the cliff. Only place to put your drive? The middle of the fairway. links 7.jpg

Back