Favorite GPS / Stat App

Cmontgomery

Reaction score
Handicap
What’s your favorite GPS / Stat app and why?

I’ve used the free versionsGolfLogix and SwingU most recently. I tend to use them primarily for keeping my scores and less for the GPS as I prefer my range finder and hate carrying my phone in my pocket.

The basic stats on how I perform to each par and putts has provided enough basic info but I think I’m ready to get more in depth.

I recently downloaded TheGrint And 18Birdies to give a go. I don’t carry a membership to any particular club so the official handicap TheGrint offers is a bit enticing.

All that said, what’s your preferred golf app and why?

Arccos/Cobra Connect

it’s not only accurate it keeps great stats and the sensor is really good. I do wish they would come up with something better for the putter though I don’t like the big sensor

Arccos/Cobra Connect

it’s not only accurate it keeps great stats and the sensor is really good. I do wish they would come up with something better for the putter though I don’t like the big sensor

I briefly checked this out a few weeks ago while walking through Golf Galaxy. I like how “automated” it seemed. Do you have to keep your phone in your pocket or can you leave it in your cart / bag?

TheGrint is nice, but also the most finicky in my opinion. For ease of use on course I like Golfshot Pro the best. I tend to use it and enter everything manually on TheGrint after because their stat collection and interaction is better. It's all personal preference though.

Last edited:
I've tried 18 birdies and The Grint. At the moment, I prefer The Grint.

I briefly checked this out a few weeks ago while walking through Golf Galaxy. I like how “automated” it seemed. Do you have to keep your phone in your pocket or can you leave it in your cart / bag?
Phone is the pocket is still necessary unless you have an Apple Watch. Personally the phone in the pocket doesn’t bother me. They have been working on a device that will supposedly work better but have been having issues

Phone is the pocket is still necessary unless you have an Apple Watch. Personally the phone in the pocket doesn’t bother me. They have been working on a device that will supposedly work better but have been having issues

I do have an Apple Watch that pretty much never comes off. I may have to check into Arccos a bit more.

I use Arccos currently, but do like Golf Shot Pro as well.

Arccos is simple to use, no need to track shots as it does for you. putter sensor is not a good implementation at all. Have tried both Apple watch and phone in pocket and prefer using phone vs watch. It's just not there on watch yet as it drains battery down somewhat quickly.

Golfshot is also simple to use and integrates really well with Apple watch.

I am going to jump on the Arccos/connect bandwagon.

You get the best of both world of a GPS app for distances and an AI system keeping track of all your stats while giving you recommendations on every shot of what club to best use for each hole. Well worth the cost on the 360 and grip subscription.

I use The Grint and 18Birdies. 18Birdies gps is more accurate and you can keep more detailed stats but I’ve been using the Grint more lately for no particular reason. I have Arccos sensors but I haven’t used them. I don’t think I can do the phone in my front pocket while I’m playing

Love the Arccos app. Been using it since they released the first version. Very enlightening as to how I am actually hitting the ball.

I am using V1 game GPS app. It’s a great GPS app and keeps strokes gained and all kind of detailed stats. It was released a few months ago. Very user friendly

I use TM MyRoundPro to keep stats of shots and what not... The GPS can be really slow to update, tho...

I have really enjoyed 18Birdies for the past few years, but may give GolfShot Pro another try as I enjoyed it a lot as well. 18Birdies has a lot of stats you can track and you can play games with others in a group type tournament setting. It is pricey IMO and that is one of the reasons I may change.

I’ve been using SwingU and liking it well enough. Sometimes I think a rangefinder would be nice, but I’m happy to have everything in one spot. I like the advanced stats to see where I need to work and what holes cause the most problems. It was also quite useful to help learn my yardages.

I mostly use the grint but am looking for something new that may provide a free handicap with the new handicap system. Anyone seen one yet?

I have used The Grint, 18 Birdies, and Arccos. I prefer Arccos. I got them free via Ping and set up the free trial period. I only have 4 rounds with them, but will gladly pay the subscription fee once the 90day free trial is over.

I use arccos and 18 birdies, I have used 18 birdies for around 2 years I like the lay out, accuracy, ease of use and the basic stat collecting, iv have been using arccos for just under a year and for me is the better of the systems having used game golf live/pro (waste of time and money now) and shot scope v2, I find shot scope v2 is the easiest to use just play and it tracks everything just need to use pin collect at each pin, has a gps watch which is a bonus, arccos is great imo the phone i forgot about in my practice time before the round, you might have to manually add a tap in putt but you can do that during the round, the stats are great and gives you a handy cap reading for driving, approach, ect, the arccos app will include slope distance aswel and elevation

Sent from my SM-A920F using Tapatalk

I’ve been using Hole19 for a while now. It’s pretty solid for a basic score keeping app, the advanced features work well, but forgetting to mark a shot in advanced mode can lead to a hassle to get it all cleaned up.

I’m actually pretty interested in both Shotscope and Arccos, so I may make a switch this year.

How many of these are free? Or at least a one-time purchase?

How many of these are free? Or at least a one-time purchase?

I think all of these with the exception of Arccos and ShotScope have a free version that is stripped down to basic gps and scorecard.
With Arccos and ShotScope there’s also a hardware investment

I’ve been using Hole19 for a while now. It’s pretty solid for a basic score keeping app, the advanced features work well, but forgetting to mark a shot in advanced mode can lead to a hassle to get it all cleaned up.

I’m actually pretty interested in both Shotscope and Arccos, so I may make a switch this year.

same thing in the TM app...the few times i've forgotten, i just scratch the entire hole :(

18Birdies is great. I also have The Grint but stuck with 18Birdies because they had a little incentive system to track your rounds. You could enter contests and win stuff with scratchcards but they got rid of that feature recently. As of now I will probably stick with 18 but all of the free apps do essentially the same thing.

and I don't know if it's my phone or the case, but my gps is pretty wonky....yesterday, it was pretty awful. thank goodness, the missus got me that range finder ;)

something is wonky with the TM app and/or my phone...for example, 403 yard par 4....tee shot - marked at 187 yards but distance to the pin was 138 (verified with range finder)? 403 - 138 = 265, right? it was like this on several holes...

Back