Favorite Greens You Have Ever Putt On?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I rolled some putts the other day on some crazy good greens and was thinking about the different courses I have been to and played. What are your favorite greens you have ever putt on?

Medalist had some pure, pure greens
Conservatory has as well

Cog Hill has bent greens, and hey that's not so bad to putt on either.

That’s a hard question but I think Sawgrass has crazy pure greens on the east coast. Witch Hollow was always a treat when I lived in Portland

farmlinks in sylacauga alabama has some excellent greens

orange tree in orlando boasts the best greens, and they may be right. although bella collina has some spectacular greens too.

i wish we had gotten the hideaway in normal weather conditions. i think those may have been the big winner of them all but i’ll never know.

Probably PGA National for me. Just so different that any of the greens here in the Northeast. All of the nice bent grass greens blur together for me, but PGA was standout true and fast.

Hideaway—Cog Hill thanks THP! Come back to my local courses and feel like I’m putting on fuzzy caterpillars....

Last edited:
DC Ranch in Scottsdale. So fast and smooth, you just know If a putt is dropping or not from 6 feet out.

My experience is more limited than many on THP, but for me it is a tie - Wine Valley and Gamble Sands in Washington State. They are large, complex, and generally fast but aren't tricked up, hold approach shots beautifully, and roll very true if you can figure out the line. That's all I ask.

I don’t think they are like this today but it was at the Worthington Country Club in a little town in Minnesota. They held an annual tournament on Labor Day and the greens were tiny, sloped and ran 13 on the stump.

Pebble Beach, it was the week before the US Amateur, and the greens were perfect. I've heard that this is rarely the case at Pebble, so I'll just accept it as a great benefit of good timing.

I don’t think they are like this today but it was at the Worthington Country Club in a little town in Minnesota. They held an annual tournament on Labor Day and the greens were tiny, sloped and ran 13 on the stump.
I spent some time in Worthington, MN years ago, several trips around 2002 - 2003, and little town is right, didn't even think they would have a golf course, although they had an old school restaurant that was incredible (Michael's???), like being in a really nice place from the 60's or something..

Probably PGA National.

Pineridge in Kamloops, BC

typical Par3 (Par 55) fare with a little bit of goofiness, but the most perfect roll on the greens that I have ever seen without going championship fast

Hideaway all day

Harbour Town had very true, fast greens when I played it. There are lots of courses near me that have amazing greens but the first two that come to mind are Hazeltine National and Interlachen. My home course has greens that are A+ for condition and true roll but the extreme slope keeps them from being anywhere near my favorite. Many times last year my only goal when standing over my first putt when above the hole was to give myself a ten footer uphill for my second putt. At least a dozen times last season my first putt from less than 10 feet away left me with a second putt from more than 20 feet away. :oops:

I think the Hideaway was waaay up towards the top. They rolled true and were very very playable, and they weren’t full of divots. I’ve played quite a few courses that could claim some of those, but very few that could claim all of those.

Governor’s Club Chapel Hill, NC

I spent some time in Worthington, MN years ago, several trips around 2002 - 2003, and little town is right, didn't even think they would have a golf course, although they had an old school restaurant that was incredible (Michael's???), like being in a really nice place from the 60's or something..
They actually had 2 18 holes courses that we would play every year in high school meets.

Michael’s was great!

For me it’s the Conservatory at Hammock Beach. I really love that course, but the greens are so large at there on some holes that you can have multiple tiers and multiple breaks on the same putt if you are in the wrong location. So much fun.

Favorite but also craziest might have been cog hill. Nicest condition greens I’ve ever been on that I remember was at a local country club in Columbus called Heritage Golf club in Hilliard. They were immaculate at the time.

Shadow Creek without a doubt. Second would be Pinehurst number 2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridge at Back Brook in NJ...….on a day to day basis they roll at 12....for special events they cut and roll and have em at 15.

Back