Favorite hole on home course and why

For me, it’s the 12th hole. A dog leg par 5, usually with a sea breeze. If you don’t get the carry whilst cutting the corner, a sandy wasteland awaits. The views are spectacular the length of the hole, and Johnny Millers house overlooks the tee. In my head, as I tee off, he’s looking out the window commentating on another of my shite drives.
0d3a4cc36302ad4c726cd5adb1ca0f7f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I don't particularly like any of the holes on my 'home' course but I guess I will go with this one...

#7 @ Diablo Creek. Short Par 3 over water. Only plays between 100-115

Very easy wedge shot but the green is severely two tiered. Green has a huge ridge at the back and when the pin is there it is very tough to get the ball to stop.. Usually you're putting up a mountain for the tap in Par. When the pin is at the bottom it is fun to hit it to the back, spin and have it funnel to the hole. If I ever get a hole in one it will probably be here since I play this course more than others. Still have to get lucky though.

1579283357102.png

Its gotta be #18. Par 5 556yds and completely gettable. If you hit a decent drive anywhere left of center your more than likely laying up as water literally runs down the entirety of the right side of the hole and theres only about 7yds of rough. So....stay left or make sure to hit a draw. If you hit a BOMB and are center or right center and it rolls out Ive had under an 8i in to reach in two. Its very risk rewardy and could really end your day on a high note.

looking back from the green....
hole18_-_risky_business_2.jpg

I don't really have a home course. :( But one of the local courses I've played has a par 4 I like. Tee off to a downhill fairway. Don't hit too far (I never can) and drive through the dogleg right. After the dogleg the fairway climbs uphill to the green. It's kind of cool to me.

Number 14. It’s a really good par 5. It’s 590 from the blues and OB right and lateral left

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Probably the Par 5 #6 at my home course. The fairway goes downhill and then bends around another hill to the right. The safe play is take that fairway to the left then hit a nice mid iron to a short approach. The green though is a bit small and narrow. It is protected by a creek that starts before the front of the green and wraps around the right side close.

If you have the distance, you can go over the hill it turns around and have a chance for getting on in 2. The way the cart path wraps on the top side of the hill, sometimes you even catch that and get a big bounce. I hit one a little too right the other week and it had to have caught that cart path because I was laying 143 out.

Just a fun risk reward hole because not carrying that hill or not carrying it far enough can put you in some thicker rough and on a nasty slope.

#17 at Emerald Valley, Creswell, OR - Typically scopes at 140 yds but wind generally makes it longer. Turtle back green, water short, bunkers left and right and you don't want to be long. If you hold the green it generally means you played a good shot and that good feeling carries forward to the par 5 18th

Hole 10 a 520 yard par 5 at the home course. You can see the green to the right of the tree shadows in the aerial view. The tee shot is easy, the second shot is where things get interesting as that creek runs from left side about 200 yards from the green and goes diagonally all the way across the fairway for about 100 yards and then runs on by the right side of the green from there. You can aim left of the creek and have a fairly easy 3rd shot to the green or you can have a wide landing area right of the creek with a tough 3rd over a bunker. It's visually deceiving as from the fairway the left side looks tiny, but there is more room than you think. Of course if you cut the ball at all trying to get to the left side you are in the creek.

Screenshot_20200117-143005_Maps.jpg

It's crazy hard par 3, but the 4th hole is just amazing. Raised, tabletop style green and just death to the left. Plays like 170 from the whites.

northumberland-1.jpg
Gotta love a hole called Lobster Pot

Par 5 #17, The Neuse Golf Club in Clayton, NC.

Slightly downhill from the tee box but the fairway descends more dramatically to the green from about 250 yards or so out. But from the tee, even the tips, my best drives may catch an undulation in the fairway and kick it farther. This gives a great opportunity to reach in two.

Similarly on 2nd shot approaches, undulations about 50 yds from the green can provide a fortuitous bounce if caught correctly. So due to it being downhill and the possibility for the bounce, I'm sometimes pulling up to 25-30 yards less club than the actual distance may indicate.

Approach isn't without peril though as the fairway bottlenecks into the green. Death left, danger right and long. This is actually the main reason why I learned to play the way less club on 2nd shot approaches as mentioned above, to drastically minimize the possibility for disaster. I'd rather hope for a lucky bounce onto the green than pray for the good bounce to avoid death.

I've had way more eagles and birds on this hole than any other. Up there too though for the amount of doubles. Perfect risk/reward hole in my book.

Regardless how my round had been going, I always get at least a little amped for this hole.

Hole #17

172 yards - Par 3

A green that has a one-club length difference makes club selection for this hole the most important decision you will make.

Almost equally important is your landing spot. The green slopes dramatically right-to-left, so plan accordingly! My fave because I had a 1.

hen I originally posted a picture showed??? Irem CC Dallas, PA

Last edited:
Number 14. It’s a really good par 5. It’s 590 from the blues and OB right and lateral left

Almost Fiddy Plus 2
Hands down 14 is my favorite hole on your course too. It requires three quality shots for me even when I play it up at the whites. I don't quite have the horsepower to get my drive all the way over the top of the hill off the tee so even if I smoke one it stops dead. Big generous green which I love but diabolically fast. Massive breaks, impossible to stop if you get it past the hole.

Favorite on my course is #9. Far and away the most difficult for me to play well. Par 4, 435 Blue / 398 White, water all down the right. Deep multi level green. From the tee it looks like a shot carrying the fairway trap would be position A, it's not, the water pinches in just behind the trap. The google map pic was taken when the pond was drained to do some repairs on the lining, it's typically water not mud...
rc9now.PNG

Last edited:
Hands down 14 is my favorite hole on your course too. It requires three quality shots for me even when I play it up at the whites. I don't quite have the horsepower to get my drive all the way over the top of the hill off the tee so even if I smoke one it stops dead. Big generous green which I love but diabolically fast. Massive breaks, impossible to stop if you get it past the hole.

Hello stranger

Almost Fiddy Plus 2

Metropolitan Golf Links: Par 5 Hole 6. Shorter par 5 (455 yds white/482 yds blue/502 yds black) that almost always plays into a prevailing wind (that is a bit off the left).

It is a hole that if you see the card you think oh this is for sure a 4 and a possible 3. There is water left off the tee from 425 yards out to almost the blue stakes (about 225 out) and an environmental hazard (green tipped red stakes, so can drop at point of entry, but cannot go in and hit if you find the ball) that runs along the right side from about 400 yards out past to the end of the green, and actually is directly ahead of the tee box so if from the white tees you hit a drive 240 straight you will be in the hazard. The land slopes left towards the water until you get past it, then it slopes right towards the hazard, not heavily but with the wind it can be treacherous.

There are also bushes long of a green that has 4 distinct areas: front portion that slopes back to front, a middle left area that is bit of a bowl, a middle right area that is fairly flat, but the pin is almost never there and finally a back portion that slopes front to back.....

Most people take a club shorter than driver off the tee but the wind into the face usually means that you don't have option to go for it in two. If you have some firepower you can aim over the water towards the fairway of the par 4th 2nd, but then you are aiming dead into the wind and if you mishit it you are either reteeing or taking a drop about where you will need to hit 2 really good shots to be on the green and have a chance to save par.

It is a really fun hole where I have seen 3s all the way to a few 10s.

My favorite hole at CoyoteCreek is the Par 5 14th. For me it’s the most difficult hole on the course, although it’s not rated that way. It is a 504 yard dog leg left with 2 big pine trees at about 200 yards out. Once past the trees it bends left. Best play is driver just to the left of the trees and 250 + yards. This sets you up for your next shot, hopefully a 3 wood or hybrid.
If you don’t get it that far a iron is my play. Now my miss on all woods and hybrids is right. Right on this hole is lined with trees then OB.
Anyway this hole tends to give me fits. Once in a while I will pat the hole but not often. However it is my favorite on the course because it rewards good shots. Is your favorite a hole you play well or have a hard time with?
This is on the Tournament side correct? I always confuse Tournament and Valley.

Either way, if this is the hole I'm thinking about, the difficulty from my perspective is that you need to keep your drive down the left side with trees and limbs come into play.... if you're too far right you could end up behind the tree that is on the edge of the fairway and in play. For me, a middle of the fairway shot I'm hitting 5i leaving PW or 9 into the green. Right is dead and left has trouble so no need for hero shot. Only time I've had problems with that hole is when I've found myself behind the tree in the fairway or I've over cooked driver and drove it through the fairway..... on the roll of course

Fun hole though

This is on the Tournament side correct? I always confuse Tournament and Valley.

Either way, if this is the hole I'm thinking about, the difficulty from my perspective is that you need to keep your drive down the left side with trees and limbs come into play.... if you're too far right you could end up behind the tree that is on the edge of the fairway and in play. For me, a middle of the fairway shot I'm hitting 5i leaving PW or 9 into the green. Right is dead and left has trouble so no need for hero shot. Only time I've had problems with that hole is when I've found myself behind the tree in the fairway or I've over cooked driver and drove it through the fairway..... on the roll of course

Fun hole though
Valley course.

Back