Favorite Putting Mat

Bus

Touring Purple
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
~16
I see a lot of talk about the Perfect Practice mat on here, is that the one or do you have something you like better?

I have both the Perfect Practice and the PuttOut mats. The Perfect Practice is nice with the ball return, but I've never been able to get it to stay flat consistently without helping it somehow (weighing it down or ironing). Especially if you're rolling it up and putting it away after use. Could have a lot to do with my kids constantly try to put on it. Also noticed mine is starting to fray on the ends after a couple of years.

I like the PuttOut because it just stays down and I can use it with the PuttOut Pressure Trainer. Obviously no ball return, but it rolls nice.

I've had my eyes on a WellPutt Training mat that is somehow connected to your smart phone. Only issue is I don't have the space for one of those right now.

• Appreciation
Reactions: Bus
My recommendation would be to go with the PuttOut and not think twice. Even rolled up for an extended period of time it unrolls and lays flat. A quick vacuum and it's perfect and ready to go. Get the pressure trainer to go with it and it will help a ton with pace and overall rhythm.

• Appreciation
I looked at a lot of different options and decided to buy the Explanar putting mat.

I have both the Perfect Practice and the PuttOut mats. The Perfect Practice is nice with the ball return, but I've never been able to get it to stay flat consistently without helping it somehow (weighing it down or ironing). Especially if you're rolling it up and putting it away after use. Could have a lot to do with my kids constantly try to put on it. Also noticed mine is starting to fray on the ends after a couple of years.

I like the PuttOut because it just stays down and I can use it with the PuttOut Pressure Trainer. Obviously no ball return, but it rolls nice.

I've had my eyes on a WellPutt Training mat that is somehow connected to your smart phone. Only issue is I don't have the space for one of those right now.

My recommendation would be to go with the PuttOut and not think twice. Even rolled up for an extended period of time it unrolls and lays flat. A quick vacuum and it's perfect and ready to go. Get the pressure trainer to go with it and it will help a ton with pace and overall rhythm.
I've got the pressure trainer already, so maybe that's the way to go.

ETA: Large one?

Well putt.

Big Moss. The one I have is about 13 years old and still looks and rolls great. Have tried both Perfect Practice and Birdie Ball mats over the past 3 or 4 years and didn't think either were nearly as good as the Big Moss.

• Appreciation
I like my PuttOut. Rolls up easy, lays flat, easy to vacuum, and seems to be standing up pretty well.

• Appreciation
Another vote for PuttOut here

I like my PuttOut. Rolls up easy, lays flat, easy to vacuum, and seems to be standing up pretty well.
One more question, is the main seeking point of the Puttout that you can roll/unroll and it will sit flat? I have a permanent spot for whatever I end up getting, so that shouldn't be an issue.

One more question, is the main seeking point of the Puttout that you can roll/unroll and it will sit flat? I have a permanent spot for whatever I end up getting, so that shouldn't be an issue.
For me that is part of it, the bigger point for me is a quick vacuum and it rolls like it did when I first unboxed it. I have found it provides a reliable surface to practice and is as consistent as anything I've owned.

I agree with @mikeg_74

It's just leaving it rolled out and not having to think about it. And even rolled up and it's "container" it unrolls flat. But I can just leave it in place and vacuum it easily.

I agree with @mikeg_74 and @Nappy. Being able to roll it up wasn’t a must, but now that I know it unrolls flat, I just put it all back in the bag when I’m done using it each time. I don’t have to vacuum it as often that way.

I believe they actually recommend to roll up the PuttOut mat after use because any mat that is left down for too long will start to settle which will allow it to groove and crease.

I’ve been satisfied with the Perfect Practice mat. It’s still not perfectly flat yet, I suppose I should iron it. I ended with the 15’ model, but only because it was so cheap when I bought it. I’ve never used more that 8-9’ of it. Wouldn’t waste money on extra length. Small putting mirror is helpful. All I’m trying to do is keep the line tracking straight.

May or may not be the correct way to practice but I like it.

3B9C3047-9B23-4F57-B62F-5A5D4F9DC1A4.jpeg

PuttOut is my go to as well- last two seasons with it and extremely happy for the purchase. Still rolls up like the day I got it, quick vacuum afterwards and we're good to go.

I have the PuttOut also, no complaints with it. I've had mine rolled up for months, laid it out last week and it was nice and flat almost immediately. Slight curl left at the edge that was on the inside of the roll, but it's at the end behind where I put the Pressure Trainer so it doesn't even matter.

Back