Feedback Request on a building a set of Maltby Golf Clubs ?

patrick_os

Reaction score
Hi - I'm new to this forum. Getting back into golf again after a long layoff. Looking for a decent set of clubs to have fun with and improve my game over time. I'm 58 yrs old, 6'3" and 240 lbs, wrist to floor with shoes on is 37 inches. Never been a great golfer but am pretty active and athletic still. I had been looking to pick up a complete set but then I found Golfworks.com and Maltby golf clubs which I figure will last me longer and be of better quality than other DTC complete set offerings. Their price point and quality appear to be outstanding for what you get. I'm just a guy looking to have fun with family and friends out on the course. Trying to keep the budget under $900 or so. I like quality equipment but don't want to spend the thousands needed on OEM clubs. Below are my initial selections for a casual golfer setup. I would gratefully welcome and appreciate any helpful and thoughtful feedback/advice/suggestions. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

1633210340579.png
1633210361719.png

Find Popeye and ask him. He'll build you a set too.

I have a KE4 4 wood. Nice looking club and pretty solid. Really good value. Maltby makes good stuff even for a more than occasional player. They’ll sell those club paks assembled as well, for not much more money per club.

Btw you’ll need at least a sand wedge too. Maybe a lob.

Hi - I'm new to this forum. Getting back into golf again after a long layoff. Looking for a decent set of clubs to have fun with and improve my game over time. I'm 58 yrs old, 6'3" and 240 lbs, wrist to floor with shoes on is 37 inches. Never been a great golfer but am pretty active and athletic still. I had been looking to pick up a complete set but then I found Golfworks.com and Maltby golf clubs which I figure will last me longer and be of better quality than other DTC complete set offerings. Their price point and quality appear to be outstanding for what you get. I'm just a guy looking to have fun with family and friends out on the course. Trying to keep the budget under $900 or so. I like quality equipment but don't want to spend the thousands needed on OEM clubs. Below are my initial selections for a casual golfer setup. I would gratefully welcome and appreciate any helpful and thoughtful feedback/advice/suggestions. Thanks in advance for your time and help.

View attachment 9031695
View attachment 9031696

I am all in on Maltby. I can’t speak on the KE4 driver, but I have the 4 wood and hybrids, and they are all great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
@Popeye - Is definitely the guy for this, but I have the TS-2's.

One thing I would do if I were you is give up the 4iron in that set or drop your hybrid down to a 19 degree. If you're going to get a 21 degree hybrid, I don't see the need for a 22 degree Iron. They're almost the exact same loft, so I'd either kick the 4 iron to the curb or drop the hybrid down 3 degrees to produce a better gap?

No Sand Wedge?

As @V14_Heels mentioned dropping the 4 iron as its covered with the utility. I will also suggest changing the KE4 TC 3 FW to the 16° 4 FW. It's easier to hit and almost every player swinging an R flex will get a better ball flight and just as much distance with the 4 FW. Plus it's easier to hit. Since you dropped the 4 iron add a SW to the set.
Having Golfworks build your set is a no-brainer. As long as you are confident in ordering the right specs you can't go wrong.
The Tour XI is a great putter that has been one of my all time favorites.
That should give you 13 clubs. Play them like that and see if you need another wedge or another utility once you are comfortable with the set.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

The HyWay and 4w have been good to me. I want to try the hybrids next. :)

Thank you all for your help. Very much appreciated!

Did you ever build a set?

Back