Feeling Terrible Because I Hit A Kid In The Face With A Drive Today

golfaddict77

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
The title says it all. Absolutely crushed a drive on the 13th hole today, but pushed it toward the 14th tee box. There are trees in the way and I can't see if anyone is on that tee box to know if I need to yell "FORE!". So, I'm walking to my ball and I'm horrified to see that 1) there is a group of 4 college kids walking up to the box and 2) one of them has taken a knee. I walk up and kinda jokingly say "I didn't almost kill one of you guys, did I?". Turns out, yes indeed, I did almost kill one of them. My drive hit him on the fly at about 280 yards, smack on his right cheekbone. A little higher, he'd be missing an eye and a little lower, he'd be needing a dentist. Needless to say, I feel like the worst human in the world right now. :cry:

When in doubt, 'fore'! You knew it was headed towards a tee box. That's enough. And a shout might be enough for someone to throw an arm up or duck.

I hit a guy when I was young. Grounds crew. Came out from the trees on the right during my drive. Did nearly kill him, and changed his life forever. I also took a 9 iron to the skull and am mostly blind in an eye from that. It can turn into a dangerous sport in an instant, so be vigilant on behalf of everyone out there. I'm confident you will be more so after today, and so might others.

Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear it, it wasn't intentional. One time I was waived up on a par 3 by one member of the group. Hit another person on the shoulder as he was not aware that I had been waived up. Accidents happen everywhere including the golf course.

I was nearly smoked in the temple by a snap hook from another hole as I prepared to hit an approach shot. I was furious at the time but the shot managed to make it's way through trees and onto my fairway and in retrospect, while I would have appreciated a "fore!" I realize that most people would think the thick tree line would stop the ball.

This got me thinking. I am slightly nearsighted. Not quite enough to need glasses (good enough for the dmv!) But I often have trouble following my ball, especially if it is not a bright blue day. Triple track, visual things like the TM pix, all help a tad, but got me thinking about my errant shots. Had a couple last week that launched slightly right from an open face but I lost them in the air. Last year I nearly hit someone on an adjacent tee when both my playing partner and I lost the ball in the air. Started off right but had been hitting draws so assumed it settled back in the rough or fairway.

I was hit in the head standing on a tee box by someone who never even attempted to yell FORE.

Had a knot the size of a golf ball on my "forehead" for about 3 weeks. I was lucky it didn't hit me in the temple. My playing partners did beat his ass on the course while I sat there dazed and confused.

Be happy you didn't get your ass kicked in.

Wait What GIF by Bounce
/\

Last edited:
Never a bad thing to yell fore, at least give people the heads up.

Hopefully the kid is ok.

Man. I'm so sorry to hear that. It's just a sickening feeling. Glad it sounds like he's OK.

Sad, but it is a reminder to yell "Fore" as a precaution.

I yell it before I tee off sometimes…🏌️‍♂️🤪🤷🏻‍♂️

I also caught my son right above his temple. He was walking up to the red tees About 110 out from me I duffed a 6 iron from 200 yards on a par 3, he thought I already hit and started to walk across the fairway to get to his tee box, I started my swing sequence (probably about 10-15 seconds over the ball) and he got in front of me and it popped him. Luckily there wasn’t a lot of juice on that ball. And it taught us both a lesson in being more aware of What’s going on.

It’s an unfortunate accident and you did yell fore which is all you can do. I hit someone once but it was just on the leg so no serious damage. I’ve been struck 6 times but only two of them were serious enough to bother me for more than a week.

As long as you yell Fore there is not much else you can do. Hope the kid is okay.

Last summer I hooked a drive near backyard of townhouses. As we get up there we see and older gentleman limping. I jump out and immediately start apologizing. He starts laughing and says “I’m just F’ing w/ you. You yelled Fore so I prepared.” I did hit his leg on a bounce. We laughed, talked for a quick sec, and then traded him a beer for all the balls that landed in his yard that weekend. I literally hit the best guy I could.

Anytime the ball is leaving the intended landing area, a loud shout out should be made.

Accidents happen.

Hopefully the youngster will fully recover.

I was once hit very hard by a line drive from a wayward tee ball that was so close the guy never had a chance to yell Fore. Had a big ugly bruise that lasted for weeks. That happens. The course has since put up a screen between that tee and the green I was on. Not yelling fore and nailing someone will usually result in a serious confrontation around here. Hitting an out of control ball that is heading towards where people can be expected to be and not giving warning is absolutely irresponsible and reprehensible. Lawyers love people who do dumb **** like that.

Any legal liability here? Be prepared...

Man. I'm so sorry to hear that. It's just a sickening feeling. Glad it sounds like he's OK.
He finished his round, so I imagine he's fine.

The title says it all. Absolutely crushed a drive on the 13th hole today, but pushed it toward the 14th tee box. There are trees in the way and I can't see if anyone is on that tee box to know if I need to yell "FORE!". So, I'm walking to my ball and I'm horrified to see that 1) there is a group of 4 college kids walking up to the box and 2) one of them has taken a knee. I walk up and kinda jokingly say "I didn't almost kill one of you guys, did I?". Turns out, yes indeed, I did almost kill one of them. My drive hit him on the fly at about 280 yards, smack on his right cheekbone. A little higher, he'd be missing an eye and a little lower, he'd be needing a dentist. Needless to say, I feel like the worst human in the world right now. :cry:

I am curious Did you Yell FORE?
It was a unfortunate accident but from your wording It's not clear whether or not you actually called out.

Last edited:
Back