Figured out recent loss of power

scott.french3

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
In trying to improve my weight shift from address to back foot on the back swing, I inadvertently introduced a sway. As a result, I was seeing inconsistent striking and loss of distance. Plus, when warming up, i was hitting everything fat. Definitely frustrating. Then, I figured out that a less exaggerated weight shift kept me centered over the ball and eliminated the sway. Ball striking and ball flight were dramatically improved. Distance came back too. Glad I figured it out myself.

Amazing how such a little thing can effect the ball striking so much. Glad you figured it out.

Balance points and pivot is super huge...😂 Most bad results come from simple things that are not hard to get wrong, and not hard to fix. As long as you have a good setup and know how to turn and use your pivot, golf is simple.

Swing speed increased with proper pivot and hitting against a firm left side that was lost with the sway.

In trying to improve my weight shift from address to back foot on the back swing, I inadvertently introduced a sway. As a result, I was seeing inconsistent striking and loss of distance. Plus, when warming up, i was hitting everything fat. Definitely frustrating. Then, I figured out that a less exaggerated weight shift kept me centered over the ball and eliminated the sway. Ball striking and ball flight were dramatically improved. Distance came back too. Glad I figured it out myself.

Well done, nearly same thing today for me. It’s a weird & stupid game.

Balance points and pivot is super huge...😂 Most bad results come from simple things that are not hard to get wrong, and not hard to fix. As long as you have a good setup and know how to turn and use your pivot, golf is simple.

Golf is simple? I have been playing for 48 years, I don’t find it simple.😂

Last edited:
Golf is simple? I have been playing for 48 years, I don’t find it simple.😂
I stand by that message. Too many people complicate it and buy and sell snake oil and band aides to try and make golfers better; I’m looking at you if you get new clubs every year expecting better results or watch YouTube expecting to get better.

You need a Plan, you need to Practice (with knowledge & feedback), and you need to Play Golf

I stand by that message. Too many people complicate it and buy and sell snake oil and band aides to try and make golfers better; I’m looking at you if you get new clubs every year expecting better results or watch YouTube expecting to get better.

You need a Plan, you need to Practice (with knowledge & feedback), and you need to Play Golf

I struggle with an OTT swing. I know that it’s not going to be “cured “ by a club or something I can buy.

I don’t put any faith in any You Tube instruction.

We can help with that. 😉

I’m definitely interested. At this point, my season is over. I don’t pick a club over the winter. It will likely be in March that I would be looking.

I’m definitely interested. At this point, my season is over. I don’t pick a club over the winter. It will likely be in March that I would be looking.
We do our best work in the off season with people doing most everything at home for a few months in doors.

We do our best work in the off season with people doing most everything at home for a few months in doors.

Unfortunately, in addition to winter coming, I have a likely rotator cuff issue that I need to have addressed.

In trying to improve my weight shift from address to back foot on the back swing, I inadvertently introduced a sway. As a result, I was seeing inconsistent striking and loss of distance.
Glad I figured it out myself.
I did the same thing at one point. Only realized it later in the evening, doing what I call "Tai Chi swing practice" to try to figure out what had gone wrong. I looked down during one back-swing and thought to myself "What the hell...?" :ROFLMAO: That sway tried to work it's way back in more recently, but I realized it right away that time.

*golf is insanely hard-FIFY

Some days you’re the Cobra, some days the mongoose.

Agreed. Its in those rounds when things are going right that you think you can turn on 'Auto-pilot' that can lead to most frustrating results. Usually its being off one element of the set-up. I'm trying to, first, get better at avoiding setup faults, second, recognizing the fault and adjusting back to a good setup.
After a bad swing or bad results, its amazing to redo a shot and get great results only because you missed one little thing...

Can you briefly explain?
SetUp, BackSwing, Pivot...can all be done inside without hitting a ball. We only introduce the ball once we get into impact. Then we prefer that people do that into a net or blanket or something where they can focus on the movement, not on the results while taking video to make sure they're getting things right.

We do it this way because our brains are extremely efficient and will compensate by making motion patterns that we don't want you to make in order to hit the ball straight.

Agreed. Its in those rounds when things are going right that you think you can turn on 'Auto-pilot' that can lead to most frustrating results. Usually its being off one element of the set-up. I'm trying to, first, get better at avoiding setup faults, second, recognizing the fault and adjusting back to a good setup.
After a bad swing or bad results, its amazing to redo a shot and get great results only because you missed one little thing...
Yep, we have checkpoints for players to go through for exactly this reason...if you do mess something up, go back to checking everything.

We only introduce the ball once we get into impact. Then we prefer that people do that into a net or blanket or something where they can focus on the movement, not on the results while taking video to make sure they're getting things right.
That is not unlike how I try to diagnose and correct swing problems.

Lately I've lost it with the driver. Two range trips in a row were bad, then worse. Ok: Time to get serious. This morning I tried some Tai Chi swings, indoors, with a 7w. Then, being as the weather outside allowed for it, I got the mat and wiffle balls out. First I just swung for the rubber tee. When that seemed about right I added wiffle balls. The thing about these wiffle balls is that no matter how hard you hit them, no matter how high they go, they won't fly more than about twenty yards. But they do fly true. Point is: You're not encouraged to try to hammer it, because it won't make a bit of difference.

Only after I got it mostly right with the wiffle balls did I bring out some real balls.

I believe I figured out my major swing flaw. Oddly enough it occurred to me what it might be when I was in the shower, thinking back on how I recalled how I was swinging the driver, lately. Sure enough: Standing up during the down-swing was it. I haven't cured myself of it entirely, but I'm getting there.

The sway is the bane of my golfing existence. I swear I must have been taught it when I was first introduced to the game because it is DEEPLY ingrained within me. Even though I'm aware of it I still find myself swaying rather than turning at times.

I'm sure I'm the only one with this challenge, but whenever I have a EUREKA! moment and discover the missing thing that "cures" my swing, I will happily play a few rounds with it and then get frustrated as it slowly slips away and I can't remember what the EUREKA! was anymore. So the past few years I've tried to get better at documenting the EUREKA! in notes in my phone. Then the problem is I'll forget to refer back to what I wrote in my phone until well into my next phase of "SCREW THIS GAME, I'M GOING TO TAKE UP BOWLING!!". Then I'll run across it and have the EUREKA! moment all over again. Getting old is like a constant series of surprises as I rediscover things I discovered previously.

SetUp, BackSwing, Pivot...can all be done inside without hitting a ball. We only introduce the ball once we get into impact. Then we prefer that people do that into a net or blanket or something where they can focus on the movement, not on the results while taking video to make sure they're getting things right.

We do it this way because our brains are extremely efficient and will compensate by making motion patterns that we don't want you to make in order to hit the ball straight.

Thanks for your always prompt responses to inquiries. What would be the process, at least for me?

The sway is the bane of my golfing existence.
I had that happen about a month back or so. Couldn't figure out why I all-of-a-sudden couldn't hit anything with anything. Was doing my usual Tai Chi swing practice/analysis, looked down and back on a back-swing and thought "What the hell...?" I've had it occasionally try to creep back in, but, now that I'm aware of it I tend to catch it pretty much right away.

Back