Filling the gap between my hybrid irons and driver.

Tan1415

Reaction score
Hope this is the right place to post this.

After more than a decade I am restarting playing golf again due to health issues. I stopped while still learning to play.
I still have my old gear stored.
Cleveland Hibores Xli SW-4
FW Taylormade 300 3w/5w
Driver Callaway FT3 HL
all in a-flex. ( I hit 69 mph iron 6 and 79/89 mph driver)

I can’t hit the FWs. So only have the 5W in my bag...mostly for show.
I rather hit my Driver of the tee And afterwards with my IRons which are all hybrids,

So I was wondering..what should I get to cover the gap between the irons and the driver?
my iron 4 is a 24 degree hybrid and my driver is 16 degree HL.

Should I upgrade my FW?
Get a hybrid 3? 21 or maybe a 19 degree?

I have a 4wood at 17* and then a hybrid at 20*, covers most of my bases

But if you still can't hit your 5w then maybe hybrids at 17... but clubs have changed so much some of those woods will be much easier to hit

So from the 24h to a 17h or 19h?
i will also try a new more modern FW and see how it goes.
tbh I use the FW from the tees. i was thinking to keeping the driver and adding a second driver purely for my tee shots. My current driver at 16 degrees is the same as my FW.

would that be to weird?

So from the 24h to a 17h or 19h?
i will also try a new more modern FW and see how it goes.
tbh I use the FW from the tees. i was thinking to keeping the driver and adding a second driver purely for my tee shots. My current driver at 16 degrees is the same as my FW.

would that be to weird?
Nothing is too weird if it works for you.

You could test some 7 woods to see how they work for you. Most likely higher trajectory than a siilar lofted hybrid.

16 is more 3 wood than driver. Might want to think about making a change there. Some of the current drivers, though pricey, are long and forgiving (eg 425 max - I have the older 400 max in 10.5).

different people have different preferences. I have a 3 wood and a 3 hybrid, can usually hit either off the tee or the deck. I’ve got a 7 wood coming in to bridge between the 3 hybrid and my 5 hybrid - plus the 7 wood should have a different flight and work in different lies.

if you’re coming back to the game but don’t have a lot of experience, probably best to get some lessons and see what’s up with the swing, then throw money at clubs. I rarely take my own advice though :p

My swing speed is rather low... would it be good idea to get the xr16 driver with a 13.5 degree loft? Ivan adjust I down and up?

Question on hybrids. I have an old h2 Cleveland launcher at 19 degrees. Is this basically the same as an h3 xr os hybrid at 19degrees?

Back